Tumble Dryer Recommendations

Soldato
I'm looking to buy a Tumble Dryer. After reading threads on here and various articles, in the long run it seems to be better to go for a Heat Pump Tumble Dryer because they are cheaper to run.
With a household of 4 I suspect it will be well used most/every other day throughout Autumn/Winter.

We've currently got a Samsung EcoBubble(?) 9KG Washing machine, so thought it would be good to try and match them up as they will sit next to each other.
I've looked around on AO, Currys, JL (sorry if I'm not allowed to mention these retailers?) and there seems to be quite a variety on Heat Pump models available from Samsung @ 9kg...

Is there a particular feature I should be going for on these? they all seem to be the same load/energy efficiency...

EG: DV90M5000IW vs DV90T5240AW - Is one just a newer version of the other?

Should I consider another brand/model? anything else to look out for? What make/models have others got that they would recommend? I think my max budget would be £750 unless spending more would get me something much better or offers an option/feature that is really good.

Last edited:
Soldato
in the long run it seems to be better to go for a Heat Pump Tumble Dryer because they are cheaper to run.
I think my max budget would be £750
I don't know what the efficiency difference is, but I suspect you would need to run it an awful lot over many, many years to save the difference between a cheap £250 condensing dryer and a £750 heat pump dryer.

Associate
I don't know what the efficiency difference is, but I suspect you would need to run it an awful lot over many, many years to save the difference between a cheap £250 condensing dryer and a £750 heat pump dryer.

Which say that the average priced heat pump dryer versus the average priced condensing dryer would take six years to make up the price difference between them in fuel savings.

Soldato
Which say that the average priced heat pump dryer versus the average priced condensing dryer would take six years to make up the price difference between them in fuel savings.
That's actually about half what I was imagining. 6 years is still quite a long wait to pay for the difference, but at least you could reasonably expect the dryer to last that long.

I wonder on the lifespan of heat pump dryers vs condensing dryers. I had to replace the heat pump on my dishwasher last year, at about 7 years old. That said, I've had to do a couple of more minor repairs on my condenser dryer too, so I guess everything breaks anyway :D

Caporegime
Heat pump dryers are crap.

They take 3-4 times longer to dry than a normal dryer.

They also only work well indoors. So not in a garage type setting.

They are also ridiculously expensive.

Condenser is best of both worlds. More efficient than vented and fast and cheap to buy.

Candy own hoover and a host of other makes in the market. If honestly pick up a decent cheap candy. A decent one with 10kg capacity, WiFi, etc is around £300-£400.

If you want a Samsung with that type of capacity and heat pump it's easily £800+.

It's better to buy cheap and have it last 5-10 years then buy again as technology gets better than buy expensive and have it last 15 years.

Candy give you a 10 year warranty on parts of you register it.

Permabanned
Depends on where it will be. Some modern units ( just like some fridges and freezers ) do not work well in a garage.

Soldato
Personally I use a clothes horse and a dehumidifer, been about 10 years since I last had a drier, and I don't miss it!

Dehumidifier is very effective, doesn't wear your clothes out or shrink em, and...is also a dehumidifier, so I tent to alternate which room I dry the laundry in so all the rooms get a good drying out from time to time.

Soldato
Heat pump dryers are crap.

They take 3-4 times longer to dry than a normal dryer.

They also only work well indoors. So not in a garage type setting.

They are also ridiculously expensive.

Condenser is best of both worlds. More efficient than vented and fast and cheap to buy.

Candy own hoover and a host of other makes in the market. If honestly pick up a decent cheap candy. A decent one with 10kg capacity, WiFi, etc is around £300-£400.

If you want a Samsung with that type of capacity and heat pump it's easily £800+.

It's better to buy cheap and have it last 5-10 years then buy again as technology gets better than buy expensive and have it last 15 years.

Candy give you a 10 year warranty on parts of you register it.
Get a better one then, mine works fine in the garage.

Soldato
We bought a Grundig GTN38250 for £450 at the end of last year. Sits inside the house and outputs a lot less humidity than what I remember my parents condenser dryer put out. For a full load it takes about 1-1.5 hour to dry, so not too bad really.

Soldato
Another plus I've found with heat pump dryer is you can dry clothes you normally can't in a dryer because of the cold air settings.

Back
Top Bottom