Turbo Enabled Overclocker Or Not?, Differences?

Soldato
Is it the C state option that is designed to stop it throttling? I've been unable to find a clear answer for what needs to be set to prevent this.

You have a point in that under 1.4V it doesn't seem to happen, and few of us are pushing 1.4V yet. Brings me back to mentioning that I do realise I'm being irrational about this, perhaps I'll change my mind when it looks like the only way to get more speed out of the machine.

Soldato
Jon, in the first post on the i7 Turbo thread, uncleweb states that this used to happen on Gigabyte mobos but the BIOS engineers listened to peoples complaints, and they fixed it in the newer BIOs releases..

Many thanks to rge for helping to thoroughly test this tool. His Gigabyte board used to have Turbo throttling issues too until the bios guys listened to the complaints and fixed this issue.

Like I said, I only use Turbo Boost for my 4.2GHz profile, and I had i7 turbo running at the same time as I was running LinX and I never witnessed any throttling at all..

I have all power saving features disabled in Advanced CPU options..

Caporegime
IMO turbo should only be used when at stock settings since it's designed to turn off if the CPU gets too hot, you can select the 21x multiplier on most motherboards so you shouldn't need it anyway.

Soldato
Is it the C state option that is designed to stop it throttling? I've been unable to find a clear answer for what needs to be set to prevent this.

You have a point in that under 1.4V it doesn't seem to happen, and few of us are pushing 1.4V yet. Brings me back to mentioning that I do realise I'm being irrational about this, perhaps I'll change my mind when it looks like the only way to get more speed out of the machine.

If you disable the EIST and C1e and other c power states in the bios this stops the throttling. As Davy stated bios revisions after F3 stopped throttling. this link is a good overview of the nehalem architecture and worth a read.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2008/11/03/intel-core-i7-nehalem-architecture-dive/1

And keep up the irrational, because it forces me to investigate further. ie the LLC. Keep it up.

Back
Top Bottom