Turning off mid game [Player Unknown]

Associate
Hi all,

So my pc seems to randomly shut down when I'm in the middle of playing Player Unknown. Usually it doesn't occur until after playing 3-4 games in a row and the pc will just completely lose power and turn off. Temperatures on Gfx card and CPU are not going above 70c so it doesn't seem to be a heat issue. The fact it loses power makes me think it might be the PSU (CoolerMaster Extremepower 650W - decent but old!)??Heres the specs:

Asus p8z68-v pro
Hyper X 8gb
Intel i5 2500k
Asus 960 GTX (recently upgraded to this)
CoolerMaster Extremepower 650W PSU

Any thoughts/suggestions/likely causes would be great, thanks!

Soldato
That does indeed sounds like PSU.
Have you tried load testers ie OCCT? Is there an alternative PSU you could borrow?

PSU's do age and after some time simply aren't capable of outputting what they used to, so if you've had it some time, as your build would suggest, it may be that!

Associate
OP
It is even older than that build, its the only original part from this pc (the q6600, asus p5n-e, 6800 era). The only thing I don't get is that this new card (GTX 960) uses less power than my old one (560ti) and I never had problems with that whilst gaming. Although I never played PUBG on it...

No spare PSU either... just trying OCCT. How would I tell if its the PSU failing using OCCT? Do I just run the PSU test indefinitely and see if it crashes?

Last edited:
Soldato
That era "Coolerhamsters" were never decent.
Standard cheap stuff with cheap capacitors in them and brand sticker on top.
Reviewers basically never got any of those.

One review of that 500W Exteme Power Plus found basically abysmal efficiency, which would have been more OK in 2005 instead of review's date in 2009.
With ripple being already half of ATX specification tolerance at 50% load and exceeding it at full load. (meaning it was overspecced)
Not to mention complete lack of PFC.
There seemed to be space for passive-PFC, but obviously that would have cost some.

Wouldn't wonder any if ripple is going through roof and voltage regulation dropping to sewer.
Should consider it good sample for lasting this long.

Associate
OP
Guess I got lucky then! That's pretty scathing!!! So what would be recommended nowadays for my kind of system?

Soldato
Basically 80+ Gold efficiency would be good starting point.
Difference between 80+ Bronze of low end PSUs and it is pretty decent and overall platforms are newer/more capable.

Antec Trupower Classic would have high quality capacitors.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/antec-truepower-classic-550w-80-plus-gold-power-supply-ca-202-an.html
Unlike some other brands Antec doesn't have hobby of often doing new "revisions" with lottery in who made it. (+with what parts)

If wanting PSU with modular cables there's some jump in price, of course inside price variation
Super Flower Leadex Golds tend to be cheapest, though XFX XTR is very close. (built by Seasonic like that Antec)

Back
Top Bottom