Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 8 10.5%

Votes: 26 34.2%

Votes: 24 31.6%

Votes: 6 7.9%

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
I gave it a 7/10 because of the usual terrible overtaking possibilities and whilst it was exciting at times, that seems to just be due to FIA shenanigans again, spinning the wheel of rules/goal posts before each race.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Wasn't that a race director decision rather than a reg change? Either way it was a bad decision and needs changing.

Yeah seems like it was just a poor decision (or a very late call) - It certainly wasn't a reg change - in theory the "Green" line is the Start/Finish line now anyway; unlike the old days where there was a Safety car line before that.

Caporegime
Yeah seems like it was just a poor decision (or a very late call) - It certainly wasn't a reg change - in theory the "Green" line is the Start/Finish line now anyway; unlike the old days where there was a Safety car line before that.

Yeah, I'd missed that change when it was made, somehow. What was the logic behind it? I don't think it was as messy as it was here elsewhere, but it doesn't seem like a step forward.

Soldato
Fairly exciting due to the crashes and restarts, but as others have said - No "real" overtakes outside of the opening laps due to the DRS being hugely powerful due to that headwind.
Found it extremely entertaining watching Grosjean state this is the most dangerous thing he's ever seen, what a hypocrite!

Man of Honour
Yeah, I'd missed that change when it was made, somehow. What was the logic behind it? I don't think it was as messy as it was here elsewhere, but it doesn't seem like a step forward.

I'm not sure when it changed myself to be honest; the race director Michael Masi has reacted pretty strongly to the comments from Hamilton in particular that the FIA/FOM are risking drivers safety:

“They can criticise all they want,” said the F1 race director. “If we have a look at a distance perspective from where the lights were extinguished to the control line, [it’s] probably not dissimilar, if not longer, than at a number of other venues.

“At the end of the day, the Safety Car lights go out where they do, the Safety Car is in pit lane, we have the 20 best drivers in the world, and as we saw earlier today in the Formula 3 race, those drivers in the junior category had a very, very similar restart to what was occurring in the F1 race and navigated it quite well without incident.”

I suspect he's right about distance; the Start/Finish line at Mugello was way, way down the straight (I don't really remember any line being that far down) and he has a point; if the "junior" F3 drivers can manage to avoid an accident then the F1 drivers should be able to as well.

Soldato
Fairly exciting due to the crashes and restarts, but as others have said - No "real" overtakes outside of the opening laps due to the DRS being hugely powerful due to that headwind.
Found it extremely entertaining watching Grosjean state this is the most dangerous thing he's ever seen, what a hypocrite!

To be fair, when you've been involved in, and the cause of so many big crashes, it's quite easy to forget all of them, especially if you are getting bumps on the head each time.

Caporegime
I'm not sure when it changed myself to be honest; the race director Michael Masi has reacted pretty strongly to the comments from Hamilton in particular that the FIA/FOM are risking drivers safety

Yeah. I'm a lot more inclined to listen to the opinion of Hamilton and Mercedes than that of Michael Masi.

I suspect he's right about distance; the Start/Finish line at Mugello was way, way down the straight (I don't really remember any line being that far down) and he has a point; if the "junior" F3 drivers can manage to avoid an accident then the F1 drivers should be able to as well.

Well that's true, but F3 cars are also very different from F1 cars. The difference in acceleration, braking, and aerodynamics are not trivial.

Soldato
Albon driver of the day for me.

Hope they never go back to this track...
I completely disagree with both points. Albon is dreadful, and only gets near the podium in races where there's an SC or Red Flag (Brazil 2019, Austria, Mugello this year). In a straight race, and on a good day, he's a good 0.5s off Max and spends the race in no mans land. On a normal day he gets mired up in the midfield and goes nowhere - as he did last week, and would have done this week without the stoppages to close the field up and save his result.

Man of Honour
I completely disagree with both points. Albon is dreadful, and only gets near the podium in races where there's an SC or Red Flag (Brazil 2019, Austria, Mugello this year). In a straight race, and on a good day, he's a good 0.5s off Max and spends the race in no mans land. On a normal day he gets mired up in the midfield and goes nowhere - as he did last week, and would have done this week without the stoppages to close the field up and save his result.

Agreed. Lucked into a position again. Once again albon also went for an overtake on the outside. That works here at T1, but he seems to forget the inner line. No wonder he has collided so many times. I just don’t rate him at all. He’s pretty moody about it all too and full of excuses.

I think Mugello delivered. Who knows if it would again, but we had good races across all of the formulas, so I’d be happy to see it return.

Caporegime

Quite. This was a "good" result for Albon only in that for only the 2nd time this season he got the result he should be getting practically every weekend (i.e. in the first available place after the Mercedes/Max), and he only managed that because luck favoured him right at the end. Otherwise it was a pretty poor race for him. Of course, luck's part of F1, and everyone needs a bit now and then, but Albon shouldn't need luck to get these kind of results. He should be nailing 4th week in and week out and getting podiums whenever one of the top three stumble. I hope this will give him the boost he needs to improve but this wasn't a break-out weekend for him.

Caporegime
I think Mugello delivered. Who knows if it would again, but we had good races across all of the formulas, so I’d be happy to see it return.

I liked seeing them race here, and it's a beautiful circuit. But with these cars, at least, I don't think it's a good track. Quite apart from the problems they had recovering vehicles leading to unnecessary and overlong safety cars - which presumably would be fixed with more experience - it didn't lead to good racing. It was almost impossible to pass anywhere except under DRS, and then too easy to pass in DRS. We saw that in all three formulas.

It wouldn't be the worst track on the calendar, but I don't think we'll expect good racing.

Back
Top Bottom