Poll: TV above mantelpiece or not?

Should I put the new TV above the mantelpiece?

• Yes

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 144 88.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
My thought is no dont pit above the fireplace. yes you could go to a bigger tv. 55-58” easily maybe even 65. Your tv unit is bigger than your tv and looks out of place swquashed in there. Its not your tv thats the issue its your unit. The linked stand above is a step in the right direction, if tou dont like the style find something that isnt as clumsy as your current unit.

The issue is that tv unit you have is a big ‘central type unit’ you already have a central fireplace. They are competing. Get a more dainty tv unit or put your new tv on an arm. You can DEFINITELY go bigger

Soldato
That wooden stand linked above is vile and wouldn't work in the room.

Glad i wasn't the only one who thought it looked vile!

If it must go above the fire place get an out and down mount so you can get it at a nice height when needed for less casual viewing.

Hmm, the problem i found when looking at brackets was the more complex the bracket, the further it came out from the wall. Which then makes it look a bit stupid - the ideal of mounting it above the fireplace is to keep it as neat and tidy as possible. I went for a tilt bracket as it sat about an inch from the wall, which also gave me room to put an electrical socket, lan socket and coax socket behind the TV for connections without seeing any wires.

Soldato
All the TV's in my house are mounted fairly high on the wall and it never caused any problems..

I recommend you go for a 55" TV if mounting it about that fire place

Continually doing it wrong isn't really the best advice. There's not one positive reason to strain your neck and stare upwards at a TV mounted near the ceiling.

If you want the TV really high, then just mount it on the ceiling and lie on the floor :D

I might see if I can dig out the stand for the TV, so I can just plonk it on the mantel for a few days as a test.

Can you measure the height of the mantel (from the bottom hearth of the fireplace to the top of the mantel), at least that'll give us details. Also, how high up is the seating position on your sofa and is there a recline in the back rest? All these things play a factor in how you mount the TV, along with accessibility, maybe keeping it away from wandering kids hands etc.

Here's an example of our Kitchen chill area. The bottom of the TV is around 0.9m from the floor. This means the soundbar is even lower, and at first thought, too low. But it's actually close to ear level when on the sofa, as we have a super low Togo modular arrangement. But then, with the TV angled (as in the picture), it works well for sitting at the kitchen island or when cooking. The cantilever stand allows the TV to be pulled out and angled the other way when we're on the sofa.

TV is a Samsung 75" Q90 (highly recommended).
Mount is an Invision 37-70" Cantilever off Amazon (Circa £50).

We used to have a 65" in there and it was a fraction high on the wall. It wasn't until using it for a number of months that I realised this. We then got the 75" and tweaked the height downwards so it wasn't as high on the wall from the Sofa position. There were soo many factors and watching positions to consider that it took me a while to play around with the TV position on the wall with tape to allow me to figure out the best position with the least compromise.

NnACFmE.jpg
Angled for sitting at the Island and cooking at the hob.

peLR85M.jpg
Angle from the sofa.

Soldato
That looks about the same height as sticking it above a fireplace.

It's nice having the flexibility of an angled bracket, but i think having tiles behind it makes the OCD twitch that the TV now looks wonky.

I was thinking it does look a similar height to the OP's fireplace so is a rough comparison. Most fireplaces are a lot higher than his and the TV ends up way too high.

The TV position is slightly too high for the Sofas, but if I went with the 'best practise' level for the eyes then it would be about 30cm off the floor! Luckily the Togo has a nice flexible foam backing that naturally leans you backwards.

Haha, the TV only looks wonky when looking at it in the photos above. Otherwise everything is OCD bang on in terms of horizontal level and the TV centreline down the tile grout line, which was lucky as the tiles had to go in that exact layout to work and the TV position worked best there also (still allowing access to the light switch).

Soldato
.. if he is solving kitchen viewing too then slightly higher is ok ?

But who doesn't lounge horizontally watching tv in living room, laptop/tablet too ... how does that work with the tv up the wall.

Soldato
.. if he is solving kitchen viewing too then slightly higher is ok ?

But who doesn't lounge horizontally watching tv in living room, laptop/tablet too ... how does that work with the tv up the wall.

Hence my question about his sofa. Some sofa's almost force you into sitting more upright and can be downright uncomfortable if you slouch down in them. Other's can have short 'Italian Style' backs that are just plain horrible in every way.

But there's a line between putting it above a short fireplace like the OP has and putting it near the ceiling like you see above many tall fireplaces.

Soldato
OP
Can you measure the height of the mantel (from the bottom hearth of the fireplace to the top of the mantel), at least that'll give us details.

89cm :)

Also, how high up is the seating position on your sofa and is there a recline in the back rest? All these things play a factor in how you mount the TV, along with accessibility, maybe keeping it away from wandering kids hands etc.

Seat is about 46cm. No recline, but I slouch and lay down sometimes, depending on my blood alcohol level :p

Also, the distance from the chimney breast that the TV would be on to the sofa back is 3.5m (about 11.5ft).

Last edited:
Soldato
Is your living room that small that you don't have a big enough gap between sofa and TV?

Heh, its not about the size of room, for a proper viewing experience you have to sit the correct distance from the screen, otherwiswe your new 4k TV is kind of pointless. TV above fireplace never works, optimal distance for a 55" 4k TV is like 5-7ft. Sure you can sit 15ft away and be fine, but TV above fireplace is always a naff solution.

You can already see in the OPs picture, if he mounts the TV above the fireplace its going to be really high.

Soldato
Rip out fireplace, put in wires, board up and plaster, mount TV.

A bigger job than the OP intended, but well-worth the effort in my opinion.

Soldato
OP
Thanks mods :)

Rip out fireplace, put in wires, board up and plaster, mount TV.

A bigger job than the OP intended, but well-worth the effort in my opinion.

Not an option we're considering, it gets used now and then and may get a wood burner eventually. It's an old cottage so suits it too if we ever want to sell.

Soldato
89cm :)

Seat is about 46cm. No recline, but I slouch and lay down sometimes, depending on my blood alcohol level :p

Also, the distance from the chimney breast that the TV would be on to the sofa back is 3.5m (about 11.5ft).

Ok, so your TV would have it's bottom at a similar to height as the one in our kitchen shots. That's not too high with your sofa seat (46cm vs our 30ish cm). Plus you'll be slouching down with a blanket in your drunken state so you will be looking up a bit anyway :D

As you're sitting 3.5m away I'd say a 55" would be ok, but to see the benefit of HDR etc and really get the big screen effect, a 65" would be ideal. TVs these days have much thinner bezels than that ancient one in the corner, so blend in better.

For TVs:
- Grab an angled bracket like the Invision one. It doesn't stick out much and you can angle it downwards a little.
- I'd look at the 2019 Samsung models - Q70, Q80, Q85 (ignore the Q60 unless it's a super cheap deal).
- Or consider an LG OLED, but they will probably cost more and you have the risk of screen burn to have in your mind. Lovely picture though.
- Both have decent SMART systems with almost every app you could need. I liked the LG but am very impressed with the Samsung system since we got our Q90. Just brilliant and easy to use.

For Sound:
- Depends how much effort you want to go to, be it a 5.1 system or go for a Soundbar with Sub system (maybe add their rear speaker set).
- A full system with AVR will be better, but you'll have to mount speakers on the walls, chase/hide wires for the front 3, run wires to rear speakers and sub etc.
- A soundbar setup will let the soundbar do the front 3 channels and will give some height (if it has upfiring drivers), look at the Samsung Q60r or Q70r 2.1 combos as they come with a wee sub.
- You can then add their SWA8500 (or SWA9000, which is meant for your chosen soundbar) wireless rear speaker kit if you really want rears.. You can hide the rear wireless box at the back of the room then only run cables to the rear surrounds.

If I was in your position and wanted the least hassle for the best buck, I'd get one of the 65" Samsung 2019 models (Q70 minimum, or the Q85 as it has reflective coating), then something like their Q60r or Q70r soundbar 2.1 kit. You'll then get the big screen for general viewing and perfect for evening movies, no risk of screen burn (like the LG OLEDs) and you'll get decent enough sound from the soundbar/sub combo and have very little cable management to worry about.

It's easy on here to spout, get an OLED, get a 7.1.4 surround system, but you can get an incredible picture from the Samsung QLED sets and decent sound from their soundbar combo. It won't be a full surround setup, but then it'll be a lot less hassle, easy to use for both you and the GF/Mrs and it'll be easy to install in comparison. A decent compromise.

Soldato
still, if the depth of the chimney/mantelpiece is < 50cm ( the speakers themselves are coincident/overhanging its edge )
putting the tv on a bracket, still in the left alcove, with partial fireplace (left side) overhang,
could it also be manouverable, to fit the corner at 45degrees, overlapping curtain for night time too.

flimsiness of modern tv's might make the manouvering risky though ?

Soldato
OP
Ok, so your TV would have it's bottom at a similar to height as the one in our kitchen shots. That's not too high with your sofa seat (46cm vs our 30ish cm). Plus you'll be slouching down with a blanket in your drunken state so you will be looking up a bit anyway :D

As you're sitting 3.5m away I'd say a 55" would be ok, but to see the benefit of HDR etc and really get the big screen effect, a 65" would be ideal. TVs these days have much thinner bezels than that ancient one in the corner, so blend in better.

For TVs:
- Grab an angled bracket like the Invision one. It doesn't stick out much and you can angle it downwards a little.
- I'd look at the 2019 Samsung models - Q70, Q80, Q85 (ignore the Q60 unless it's a super cheap deal).
- Or consider an LG OLED, but they will probably cost more and you have the risk of screen burn to have in your mind. Lovely picture though.
- Both have decent SMART systems with almost every app you could need. I liked the LG but am very impressed with the Samsung system since we got our Q90. Just brilliant and easy to use.

For Sound:
- Depends how much effort you want to go to, be it a 5.1 system or go for a Soundbar with Sub system (maybe add their rear speaker set).
- A full system with AVR will be better, but you'll have to mount speakers on the walls, chase/hide wires for the front 3, run wires to rear speakers and sub etc.
- A soundbar setup will let the soundbar do the front 3 channels and will give some height (if it has upfiring drivers), look at the Samsung Q60r or Q70r 2.1 combos as they come with a wee sub.
- You can then add their SWA8500 (or SWA9000, which is meant for your chosen soundbar) wireless rear speaker kit if you really want rears.. You can hide the rear wireless box at the back of the room then only run cables to the rear surrounds.

If I was in your position and wanted the least hassle for the best buck, I'd get one of the 65" Samsung 2019 models (Q70 minimum, or the Q85 as it has reflective coating), then something like their Q60r or Q70r soundbar 2.1 kit. You'll then get the big screen for general viewing and perfect for evening movies, no risk of screen burn (like the LG OLEDs) and you'll get decent enough sound from the soundbar/sub combo and have very little cable management to worry about.

It's easy on here to spout, get an OLED, get a 7.1.4 surround system, but you can get an incredible picture from the Samsung QLED sets and decent sound from their soundbar combo. It won't be a full surround setup, but then it'll be a lot less hassle, easy to use for both you and the GF/Mrs and it'll be easy to install in comparison. A decent compromise.

Thanks for your detailed response and advice.

My budget is limited and I have set "as close to £1K" (but likely £1200) as budget for TV and i'll go Sony because i've had nothing but excellent user experience with them and friends and family's too. I've had my eyes on the XG for a while so looking at a full Sony setup again but will be taking a look in JL and RS beforehand at all models (as soon as I can :mad:). Overall budget is weighed heavier on the sound side.

If I stick it up on the wall then I'll not go soundbar, just seems pointless, I may as well shoot higher especially since It will be used for music frequently. I plan to start with a 3.1.2 setup and add the rears for 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 once i'd figured out their placement.

Sony XG (19) or XH (20)
Sony UBPX800M2
Sony STR DN1080
Elac Debut B5.2 / B6.2
Elac Debut A4 Atmos
Elac Debut C5.2/6.2 Centre
BK Monolith Sub

Reason for Elac Debut 2.0 is cost and because they're front ported and will be close to the wall. I was poised for MA Bronze 2 setup but I heard these Elac Debuts the other month and was impressed, they were the smaller of the two as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Glad to help.

I've heard nothing but issues with regards to the smart system and was less than impressed with it when I've had a play, with the LG and Samsung systems making it seems very 2nd rate. Also if you were going Sony then why not get the older XF9005, isn't the XG just a newer XF but with a much higher price?

Definitely go for a full 5.1 setup if you want to put the work in and so all the work associated. Don't forget to checkout AVForums for secondhand bargains in the classifieds, although picking up used times isn't possible in our current climate so new might be the only way to go.

Soldato
OP
I would say no because where would you put the sky box e.t.c. It would look messy unless you made a hole big enough to fit all cables through and stick a new side cabinet up in place of the unit on the left hand side.

AV stuff would be in a new unit where the existing unit is. I would run a channel in the back of the mantel that runs them off to the side from the TV, or something. The centre speaker will cover the two cables from the TV to the channel. Haven't completely thought it through, but could be done.

Glad to help.

I've heard nothing but issues with regards to the smart system and was less than impressed with it when I've had a play, with the LG and Samsung systems making it seems very 2nd rate. Also if you were going Sony then why not get the older XF9005, isn't the XG just a newer XF but with a much higher price?

The XG IIRC is slightly brighter and faster UI. But given the fact the streaming services will be run from the BD Player or PS, it's kinder irrelevant so you're right, might add the XF into the mix as well but need to see what the XH is all about.

I'll see what's around when I come to it though because I still need to make this decision and have to wait for the shops to open back up again... could be months.

Last edited:
Permabanned
AV stuff would be in a new unit where the existing unit is. I would run a channel in the back of the mantel that runs them off to the side from the TV, or something. The centre speaker will cover the two cables from the TV to the channel. Haven't completely thought it through, but could be done.

hmm I wouldn't mount a TV then have everything to the side of it in a unit personally. That space would be better been free I would say.

Back
Top Bottom