Poll: TV above mantelpiece or not?

Should I put the new TV above the mantelpiece?

• Yes

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 144 88.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
Looking good.

A tip from me, lay your L&R speakers down on their side, it will not only look more cohesive but should sound a bit better as the drivers/tweeters will all be on the same plane.

Caporegime
I'm going through the same dilemma at the moment so it's helpful to see it mounted.

My mantle is around the same height but far wider, and looks horrific, so I'm thinking about either ripping it out and getting a more modern mantle installed or building a fake TV wall around it.

Soldato
OP
it looks like there's a fireplace in the way of your av/sound system. if you weren't gonna use the fire why not just put the tv in front of the fireplace

There’s a hearth and it’ll look worse than it does now. Also, I’ve just become a father, there’s something to be said about keeping it all up and out the way! :p

TV only goes above the mantelpiece if you're going to be watching The Chase nonstop

Never watched it :p

Looking good.

A tip from me, lay your L&R speakers down on their side, it will not only look more cohesive but should sound a bit better as the drivers/tweeters will all be on the same plane.

Though I’ll trust the design as intended orientation. Especially given the beautiful soundstage of the Elac’s.

I'm going through the same dilemma at the moment so it's helpful to see it mounted.

My mantle is around the same height but far wider, and looks horrific, so I'm thinking about either ripping it out and getting a more modern mantle installed or building a fake TV wall around it.

If you don’t use the fireplace nor want to keep it for aesthetics/resale, then gut it out, fill it in, get rid and it’ll be far better IMO.

Soldato
Its so difficult because fireplaces are beautiful, really centre rooms, have a very strong traditional architectural feel to them and add so much character.
On the otherhand a TV is the total opposite. Its an ugly black slab of technology which forces seating and furniture to be in horrible unsociable positions pointed towards it and eats up wall space.
Ontop of a nice fireplace (say traditional one with open exposed brick) it will make it look horrible. Against modern electric one it will look a bit better.... but loses impact re: architectural beauty.

I have been toying with the idea of ceiling recessed projector screen above a fireplace. Therefore when in use, the PJ screen is up and running, when its not, its up in the ceiling and the room looks as if there is no TV/PJ there.

Even this has an issue (the projector) but i think aesthetically it looks much much better than a TV. trade off is contrast/blacks, on/off time. advantage is it doesn't overtake the room at all when not in use and its gigantic when in use

Back
Top Bottom