Tv aerial

Soldato
What do I need to look for when buying a tv aerial?

I live in a bungalow surrounded by normal houses so need a pretty strong aerial.

My nearest transmitter is in crystal palace and there are no houses directly in the way.

What do I need to get to have decent reception? I don't have an aerial at the moment as it is a new build

ALD

ALD

Associate
From here.

To receive Freeview from the Crystal Palace transmitter you will require an aerial of group A positioned horizontally.

Man of Honour
I install aerials as part of what I do for a living. When left to their own devices most DIY'ers go way OTT on the aerial.

I see people buying these huge "ultra high gain" tinfoil rigs and then fix them on the smallest bracket. The aerial acts like a huge sail which puts loads of stress on the bracket. The result is either the bracket works loose if fixed to the wooden soffit, or it can rock and damage the pointing. The other problem with over spec'ing the aerial gain is signal overload. Crystal Palace is the countries most powerful transmitter. It would be unusual to require a very high gain aerial if living within the M25 with a clear line of sight to the transmitter.

The "tin foil" bit is important too. Most big "value" aerials are made of bits of flat aluminium sheeting bent to give them a bit of strength. The aerials are held together with small self-tapping screws. Weathering loosens these joints, and fat pigeons love a new perch, so within a year or two the aerial looks shabby and looses performance. Before too long the thing is useless.

Good aerials are made from solid aluminium rods. The difference in price is less than the cost of replacing a tin foil aerial prematurely; not to mention no hassles with transmission breakup.

Have a look at a type of aerial called a Log Periodic. These give great results in all but the weakest signal areas. It's unlikely that they will overload your TV's tuner, so you won't get issues with transmission breakup either. Log Periodics are also less likely to put strain on the mounting bracket.

Man of Honour
The Vision V10-040 from that list, though the spars are a bit thin. The little stubby Logs shouldn't be used on homes as a main aerial. They're really for temporary use.

Likewise, anything with a booster already fitted really is a poor choice. In anything but the weakest signal areas the correct aerial doesn't need a booster fitting. That's the sign of a bad aerial choice. I'd also give those aerials with the poxy little mounting kits a wide berth too. They are a false economy.

But honestly, why Ebay? If you're going DIY then you want to save time and effort. Get good advice and the right package of bits from people in the trade who know what's what. Don't trust your hard earned to a faceless Ebay seller who probably knows less than you. Go to AerialsandTV and buy a Log40. This is made from thick aluminium and will get great reception results. They'll also sort him out with the correct bracket type and pole and decent cable. He'll be buying good quality gear at fair prices, not tatt sold cheap.

Associate
recommend a Vision V20A2 log periodic Band A around
£7 +vat and pp

In Kensington and that's what I have - fixed from an open velux Window on the roof. I use an amp so that its just as good in the cellar

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom