Tv broken out of warranty

Caporegime
it'll be akin to that £300 55" polaroid.

how anyone thinks you can get a decent tv that is 55" from polaroid for £300 that will last forever is crazy.

buy your tv's from john lewis. they price match so you aren't getting ripped off. every tv comes with a 5 year warranty as standard.

Associate
Yeah i'd be surprised if you get anywhere with trying to get a full repair/replacement for this. Even with whatever EU's two year ruling says about electronic items.

If you wanted a guarantee that it will last, then you should have purchased an extended warranty. (Not that i'm a believer in extended warranties), but i accept the risk that if the TV breaks after the warranty has expired, then i have to buy another.

Frankly i'd say they're even being nice offering you some compensation.
Agreed.

Man of Honour
it'll be akin to that £300 55" polaroid.

how anyone thinks you can get a decent tv that is 55" from polaroid for £300 that will last forever is crazy.

buy your tv's from john lewis. they price match so you aren't getting ripped off. every tv comes with a 5 year warranty as standard.
Code:
if (johnLewisSellTheTVIWant == true) buyFromJohnLewis();
else {
   checkJohnLewisForSimilarModel();
   buyFromJohnLewis();
}

Soldato
Nobody writes "== true", it's redundant :p
Shouldn't the johnLewisSellTheTVIWant have brackets to call the function? :)

Anyway I dunno I think a TV should last more than 2 years. I don't get this "if it breaks outside of the warranty then it lasted long enough" mentality.

Soldato
Shouldn't the johnLewisSellTheTVIWant have brackets to call the function? :)

Anyway I dunno I think a TV should last more than 2 years. I don't get this "if it breaks outside of the warranty then it lasted long enough" mentality.
The thing is everything is considered so disposable these days that this mentality is the norm. 20-30 years ago you'd have a TV repair shop in the local high street who would be able to fix the problem for you at reasonable cost if you didn't want to have a go yourself, now everyone just replaces everything and chucks the old one in the bin. It's a shame when you consider the amount of information we have at our fingertips now, I bet that TV could be repaired in no time by a hobbyist.

Soldato
The thing is everything is considered so disposable these days that this mentality is the norm. 20-30 years ago you'd have a TV repair shop in the local high street who would be able to fix the problem for you at reasonable cost if you didn't want to have a go yourself, now everyone just replaces everything and chucks the old one in the bin. It's a shame when you consider the amount of information we have at our fingertips now, I bet that TV could be repaired in no time by a hobbyist.

I guess people just enable this to happen to them if they act like that though. It all depends on how much you want to fight for it. I recall there was a news article about someone taking Tesco to Small Claims using SOGA after their TV broke. They won and ended up getting the money for a new TV.

You are right though, a hobbyist could fix it. I did that for my crappy TV and monitor years ago. Sometimes it takes too much of your time up and isn't worth it unless you have the tools and space to do it.

Caporegime
Plus you have companies making goods designed to defeat repair.

Ie, washing machines with sealed drums. You can't repair these, and even higher-end models have moved to sealed drums. This effectively means that something as simple as worn out bearings now necessitates a whole new washing machine. Before sealed drums it was a 20 minute repair.

I'm not sure if it's greed, or if we've now created an economy that only works when we keep buying and replacing stuff every year.

Caporegime
I assume it's a Boolean variable rather than a method call :p
I assume it's a variable, but depends on the language if it has to be a Boolean or not ;) Implicit type conversion in some languages, like JavaScript. In which case expression is true so long as variable is not assigned "false", "0", "", "[]" or "undefined" :p And I probably missed a few there.

Yay for thread derails :D

Soldato
I'd be looking at those caps too. Failure to reach stable voltage, perhaps to drive the backlight could be the reason it is dropping back.

It's fairly easy to spot bulging or vented caps.

You'd expect more than a couple of years out of any caps though, even in a hot power supply. They must be a really poor brand. This assuming that is the problem.

Soldato
I assume it's a variable, but depends on the language if it has to be a Boolean or not ;) Implicit type conversion in some languages, like JavaScript. In which case expression is true so long as variable is not assigned "false", "0", "", "[]" or "undefined" :p And I probably missed a few there.

Yay for thread derails :D

Well I sort of figured it was Boolean based on it starting with "Is" which a lot of coding guidelines recommend for Boolean types.

Pretty sure this thread derail is more interesting than the OP's TV anyway XD

Caporegime
Well I sort of figured it was Boolean based on it starting with "Is" which a lot of coding guidelines recommend for Boolean types.

Pretty sure this thread derail is more interesting than the OP's TV anyway XD
I'm confused - it doesn't start with "is" or "has" :p Check it again?

Caporegime
Mine did this for a while and was a capacitor problem in the end

i have a big plasma with same issue its cheap to fix pretty simple.many similar issues arent that dear to fix either.on plasmas watch out out as you can get very big shocks off certain components.

Caporegime

As technology has advanced items have actually got more complicated with more parts and electronics. Take cars for example the japanese got their reputation by hand building simpler cars whereas ford (america) had automation in place. Faults in the production line would be picked up quicker and before they had gotten too far in japan as they were hand built. In america they would just go through the process as it was all automated. Another example would be a BMW today has 10,000 more things in it that a car would have had 100 years ago. Any 1 of those 10,000 things can go wrong. The less stuff you have there is less stuff that can go wrong.

This is why I said buy from John Lewis. You get a 5 year warranty. Chances are if your tv lasts 5 years it will likely last a long time. Faults tend to appear within the first 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom