Tv channels with on screen graphics getting worse?

Soldato
I suspect most of you have noticed these things getting more common but why do they feel the need to stick a big logo on or give us excessive reminders of whats on soon etc?

The on screen logos i dislike but could live with as much as i find them pointless and slightly irritating depending on their size and level of opaqueness but these popups are just too much, we know whats on by the tv guide and now/next menu on sky and freeview plus we get an announcer at the end of a program and adverts between shows, its become a bit silly now and likely to get worse, who else finds them unnecessary and annoying?

Soldato
Sky news annoys me, it covers most of the screen, and has that woosh sound.

The shuttle take off for example, Woosh, thing comes accross the screen, 5 secsond later it tells you that the shuttle has taken off, well thanks for that I CAN SEE :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Pointless and annoying :mad:

Bes

Bes

Soldato
Radiation said:
I suspect most of you have noticed these things getting more common but why do they feel the need to stick a big logo on or give us excessive reminders of whats on soon etc?

The on screen logos i dislike but could live with as much as i find them pointless and slightly irritating depending on their size and level of opaqueness but these popups are just too much, we know whats on by the tv guide and now/next menu on sky and freeview plus we get an announcer at the end of a program and adverts between shows, its become a bit silly now and likely to get worse, who else finds them unnecessary and annoying?
Actually I beleive they're there so people can't record shows (say blackadder) on UK Gold and sell them as DVDs or whatever. I agree though, highly annoying.

Associate
kitten_caboodle said:
they're nothing like as bad here as they are in the States. Seriously, it's impossible to watch them at times, they have tickers going across the top & bottom with clips and all kinds.

My mate told me about that. You can be watching an episode of the Simpons and it could have up to 4 breaks in it!! Pure madness!!

I hate it when your right into a film, then the adverts come on!! gahh!! :mad:

Soldato
hybrid said:
My mate told me about that. You can be watching an episode of the Simpons and it could have up to 4 breaks in it!! Pure madness!!

I hate it when your right into a film, then the adverts come on!! gahh!! :mad:

yeah that's why US shows have so much dialogue before the opening titles come up (think Scrubs/Friends/24) - because there's no break inbetween the credits of one show and the start of the next....

Like this:

Credits of last show & bit after/first scene before opening titles of new show
(no break in between to seperate them so as not to lose viewers)
break
opening titles/break
first 10 mins/break
<this is our normal 15 min or so break in the UK>
next 10 mins/break
bit before credits/break
credits and bit after/beginning of next show (no break in between)

and it starts again....The news is impossible to watch, you don't have enough eyes. And the bits that go across the bottom have actual scenes in rather than static pictures, but you can't watch everything at once :mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Al Vallario said:
Exactly. Think yourself lucky you don't live in the states.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UHjRfQMt3dQ&search=world cup espn

I see what you mean, heard it was bad but never knew how bad, i noticed its creeping in over here more, especially news channels with their big red breaking news and warning signs, seems almost like their trying to keep us on edge or something, channels like scifi never used to have popups at the bottom but now they do, stuff like a picture of a character from a show with words saying " 8pm Tuesdays!" :rolleyes: its so unnecessary with all the other notices we already get.

edit: almost forgot how annoying the breaks are becoming, sometimes i've seen a show start and after 5 minutes theres a break (think the worst was 3 minutes) and just before the ending is ten times more annoying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom