TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
I've no idea where 700k came from. Approx. 1.7m people (up from 1.5m) do not pay. That is less than 0.3%, or basically, in any other world, a rounding error.
Its more like they lost 3.5million in the under 75 year bracket if I am reading the numbers right at this time of night. A bit more then a rounding error and the numbers come directly from BBC licensing themselves. Even with an extra 2.8million over 75's getting a license they still lost a total 700k in total.

Caporegime
Just had to renew and it just feels like im being completely ripped off now. I barely ever watch any of the BBC channels now.

£159 - so £13.25 a month for what?

Amazon Prime AND Netflix combined is a similar cost, and you arguably get more new content AND next day delivery/prime benefits with that.

Once my Sky contract is up in December i think i'm ditching SKY and the TV license and will just stick to Netflix,Amazon and maybe NOW TV entertainment. The whole TV license thing and its cost is massively antiquated now. The government in this country needs to stop it and force the BBC to change to a subscription model like everyone else.

Soldato
License free since 2013. Just didn't watch live TV and the only time I've missed it was big footy tournaments so just went to the pub instead. Better atmosphere and beer available anyway.

Associate
Once my Sky contract is up in December i think i'm ditching SKY and the TV license and will just stick to Netflix,Amazon and maybe NOW TV entertainment.

You can do this as long as you don't use the Now TV entertainment to watch any live TV. Though how they can police this is beyond me.
I've not had a license since moving into this place over two years ago.
But do have YouTube premium, Netflix, Amazon prime, Disney plus.

Soldato
Funny when people think they need a licence just for owning a TV (not sure if you did or not).
People believe that because of the way it's been marketed, from the name "TV Licensing", fake detector vans, vague statements about what a licence is needed for etc, it's not an accident.

Associate
Yeah I don't like the license thing, but to be fair I do watch some stuff made by the BBC. Plus no adverts mid program. QI, HIGNFY, WILTY, Bake Off :), yeah I watch a bit from the beeb, non of it live.

The BBC will have to change soon anyway as they are aware that kids today never watch live TV. Once the boomers are gone there wont be much license money left.

apparently the bbc is bias.. and your thing isn't bias, right? ;)

Soldato
Yeah I don't like the license thing, but to be fair I do watch some stuff made by the BBC. Plus no adverts mid program. QI, HIGNFY, WILTY, Bake Off :), yeah I watch a bit from the beeb, non of it live.

The BBC will have to change soon anyway as they are aware that kids today never watch live TV. Once the boomers are gone there wont be much license money left.

apparently the bbc is bias.. and your thing isn't bias, right? ;)
My kids being young get confused when they have to wait for something to come on:cry:. They're so used to the likes of youtube/prime/netflix.

Soldato
They need to make a decent Scifi show that isn't aimed at kids and idiots like Dr Who.

The BBC cannot do sci-fi, they're simply incapable and inept when it comes to making sci-fi. It's not like the BBC don't have the budget to throw at something either, it's just that they're absolute **** at it. I mean, just look at that complete ******* mess, 'The War of the Worlds', and compare that to the first 3 seasons of 'The Expanse' (before Amazon took over producing it), or if you want to compare it something with an even lower budget then compare it to 'Dark Matter' or 'Killjoys'.

Associate
Dark Matter was my favourite Sci Fi and I was gutted that they didn't get to make anymore series for it.

I liked it a lot more than The Expanse, which I also like.

Also the UK got shafted with The 100, no season 7 for us.

Soldato
I greased my backside today - I didn't realise it was £13 a month - No wonder I am skint - Sorry - Double greased it -also paid poll tax (yes I know it's council tax) Boy did I get shafted then -200% increase.

Associate
I haven't paid tv license in 4 years. I fill in the form on their website stating I don't need one and they leave me alone for two years. I then get borderline threatening letters again and have to repeat the process of filling in the form to be left alone again.

Back
Top Bottom