TV License

Associate
OP
geeza said:
If you have signed a 'separate tenancy agreement' then dont you all have your own address. like i used to live in flat 24B and have my own post box.
Nope, we all have the same address, the stupid thing is that we can't possible have a joint tenancy agreement with the land lady (the license holder) as she can't be on it...she can't have a tenancy agreement with herself!?!?!!

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Blackstar_solar said:
Nope, we all have the same address, the stupid thing is that we can't possible have a joint tenancy agreement with the land lady (the license holder) as she can't be on it...she can't have a tenancy agreement with herself!?!?!!
The "joint" bit doesn't refer to the landlady, it refers to joint and several liability between the tenants.

Caporegime
Le_Petit_Lapin said:
But they do have Top Gear, and a quality news service (and web services). I'd pay the liscense fee per year for those alone.

Shame the news service is useless for politics and certain other issues because the government have so much control over them.

Soldato
once there is one tv license in your house/flat nobody will come and check your contracts, how many tv-s you got etc.

just leave it as it is,

enjoy watching tv for free :D,

btw, i went once to court for not having a tv license (stupid me signing for something when they came to check for it),
anyway i was not guilty as i still had my license valid for 5 days from my previous flat :D :D :D, just wasted half a day going there,

remember this 'NEVER SIGN ANYTHING BY THE DOOR'

Associate
Blackstar_solar said:
Can anyone come up with a way to justify this or a way that I can argue that in my new house only one TV license is required. I know life isn't fair, but in this situation I really can not see a justifiable reason why the rules are this way!

Help guys, thanks

Its not justifiable just a way to make more money. The BBC's database is not clever enough to work out that you would need a lisence tho aslong as it is a house with a single address. As their system just matches a lisence to an adress not a person.

stoofa said:
TV Licensing could turn up at your door the day after you move in with a warrant and the police in tow.

Erm no I didn't bother with a TV license for a few months when I first moved out as I didn't have a TV and the guys that come over are absolute [i'm sure you can think of the word] and hassle you non stop but they can not enter with out permission and they can not get a warrant without evidence even though they threatened me with it (i just wanted to see there faces after they didn't find a tv) So if they can’t get a warrant within 6 months they are not going to turn up on the first day with one are they

Wise Guy
Permabanned
mattx2 said:
........ but they can not enter with out permission and they can not get a warrant without evidence even though they threatened me with it (i just wanted to see there faces after they didn't find a tv) So if they can’t get a warrant within 6 months they are not going to turn up on the first day with one are they
The thing is .... that varies from place to place.

If they convince the magistrates they have good reason to believe an unlicencsed set is in operation, they may be granted a warrant, depending on the magistrate, and the relationship the licensing people have with that magistrate. If, for instance, they say they saw a set in operation through the door/window, or ifthey have a statement from a neighbour, etc. And some magistrates will just take their word for it.

Warrant issue is certainly not automatic, but don't make the mistake of assuming it can't happen, because it can and does. A relative of mine is a magistrate, and has issued quite a few of them. You'd just better hope you don't live in his area. :D

Oh, and depending on what they know and what evidence they have, don't assume the next step from visiting you will be a search warrant. It may well be that they go straight from visit to court summons. At that point, you have exactly two options - plead guilty and pay the fine and costs, or plead not guilty and go to trial. And all over a TV licence :confused:

Sure, lots of people get away with it. Sure, not every person without a licence gets tracked, or caught. Sure, they may not have enough evidence to proceed and, sure, not every prosecution and trial ends up in a conviction. But, just about every magistrate's court deals with several hundred licence prosecutions every year, and the vast bulk result in convictions, fines and costs.

So, what not paying the licence amounts to is a fancy form of gambling. It's then up to each of us if we want to gamble. Personally, I regard it as a no-brainer, but it's just my opinion.

Associate
I regard it as a form of "protection money" from organised thugs who will "lawfully" do you over if you do not pay up. Until i get my own gang, i will have to cough it up.

Dont have a TV, dont like watching TV, but am tired of those idiots visiting.

Soldato
crashuk said:
My mate did this, then took them to court ,he ended up with compensation, this happened a few years ago, he always brags on about this.

What a hero :rolleyes:

So people like me will continue to pay a tv licence and tax to fund sponging **** like this. If you dont want a licence dont get a TV.

Back
Top Bottom