Twitter

Soldato
It's a utterly superb news source and gives you a overview of what is happening on this little rock we call Earth.

This. It's become the pulse of the Interwebs. I use it to keep in contact with friends (when used with @FourSquare this becomes even more useful) )as well as follow certain people in the Tech industry.

If you use it just to post that you've had toast or to follow "celebrities" then you're not using it right.

@LordSplodge

Soldato
It's just a tool, you pick what you want to follow in the same way that you pick and choose what RSS feeds to aggregate. It's perfectly possible to be a passive consumer on twitter.

Soldato
Its like RSS on crack. I like it.

I use it to search for latest news on stuff I'm interested it, and for that it works amazingly well.

Yes, you could use it to follow some egotisitcal **** who likes to keep their followers up to date on every aspect of their lives (up to and possibly including their bowel movements), but why on earth would you want to?

Last edited:
Associate
Twitter is brilliant, I've used it for ages. It takes a while to realise how to use it and what to actually use it for. For me it's mostly to keep up to date with whats going on in the world for what you actually care about. If you like something/someone then follow them, if you don't then don't.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Twitter is brilliant, I've used it for ages. It takes a while to realise how to use it and what to actually use it for. For me it's mostly to keep up to date with whats going on in the world for what you actually care about. If you like something/someone then follow them, if you don't then don't.

This is what I don't understand as there is Nobody out there I want to follow about or know when they are whatever.

Ignorance is Bliss. :D + :cool:

Associate
I use Twitter, never posted a tweet of my own but have a Firefox add on which notifies me of new messages and use it to follow companies/newspapers/blogs which I'm interested in for one reason or another.

I have nothing to say through the service but its handy way of being notified of breaking news or information which is relevant to me.

Soldato
This is what I don't understand as there is Nobody out there I want to follow about or know when they are whatever.

Do you not like have a hobby or something like you like doing? Try using it to keep up to date on stuff related to that.

Then again, I'm not sure there is that much stuff on twitter that uses the hashtag #Dorris. :D

Associate

It's not just people though, you could follow 'New Scientist' or 'The Onion' or 'The Guardian' etc. In those examples its like a nice RSS feed type thing. I totally understand people dismissing it initially as on the surface it does appear to be fake celebrities posting **** took me a few months to get the TwitBug

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Do you not like have a hobby or something like you like doing? Try using it to keep up to date on stuff related to that.

Then again, I'm not sure there is that much stuff on twitter that uses the hashtag #Dorris. :D

:D
What about #Pasty Smashing ?

I am Always up to one thing or tuther but spend enough time on my PC & research things for myself via my system/interwebs/here/forums/google etc

Associate

I've just started using Twitter. I'm not interested in the personal lives of the people on there, but there are social/tech commentators on there who engage in debate that I do find interesting. It's a news aggregator, I get some opinion on things and I follow the links to find good articles that I might have overlooked because I only know about the big news sites and not the bloggers with interesting viewpoints.

The most notable things I got from Twitter this week:

My MP is a lib dem who opposed the Digital Economy fiasco/bill but didn't oppose it enough to spend the day in Westminster debating or voting on it. This despite a twitter direct message saying that she would oppose it. Was presumably in Scotland plotting the start of their Scottish campaign on the following day, and hence has lost my vote.

An analysis of tech companies supporting open source products as a way of commoditizing the complements to their core business products - microeconomics 101 for the layman.

Soldato
I don't have an account, but I use it to keep up to date on current trends and stuff. For this reason, it is an extremely powerful tool. For example, when MJ died, the topic trended on twitter. I could search for 'Michael Jackson' and receive realtime information, news feeds, articles etc. Also, if you hear a rumour before it appears on news sites, Twitter can generally spread a bit more light on the matter.

I used to criticise it and just see it as a useless celeb tool, but it isn't. It literally puts the whole world at your fingertips.

Back
Top Bottom