1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two OS's available, only need one.

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by philjayj, 11 May 2006.

1. philjayj

Hitman

Hi All.

I have just upgraded a windows 2000 system to windows xp pro. for some reason though, when the system is booting up, I am asked to choose what OS i want to boot into.

I only want the system to have Windows XP Pro. How do i completely remove windows 2000 and retain windows xp?

Thanks, Phil

2. Mekrel

Soldato

Delete the Windows 2003 boot partion from window boot.ini, this can be done via msconfig.

3. philjayj

Hitman

There isn't a delete option on the Boot.ini tab.

4. me227

Soldato

It'll be called check all boot paths. And providing that Windows 2000 is uninstalled properly, it should say it's invalid and delete that entry.

5. Flying_V

Gangster

And I think you could go into XP - my computer - advanced - startup and recovery and change the boot file there?

6. Anchundan

Hitman

Open explorer, go to your root drive, and open boot.ini (providing you are not hiding protected operating system files).

Delete the line for the operating system you don't want.

for example, my c:\boot.ini file has the following :

[boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Full System (60GB)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Gaming Rig (SATA)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

If I only wanted to see one version of windows, I would delete one of the last two lines. I suggest you delete the one that mentions Windows 2000

7. philjayj

Hitman

Excellent. Worked perfectly. I booted into XP, deleted the folder for Win 2000 and deleted the line in the boot.ini file.

Thanks everyone.