Two very different cars, one very confused person.

Associate
Hi all,

I am very stuck.

Early next year I really want a different car. I will have had my current car (Yaris 1.8 SR) for just over three years by then, I have no current problems right now with it I just yearn for a change.

Abit of background, I am 25 and saving for my own place to share with my girlfriend. I have plenty of disposable income right now and that is all going in to savings. By this time next year I will hopefully have enough for a decent deposit on a house and as a car enthusiast I will be foaming at the lips for something that bit special/different on the driveway.

Over the last year I have been obsessing over my search, and *I THINK* I have narrowed it down. Now these two cars are very different but I want them both equally. I have driven them both and truly cannot decide. They both are excellent in very different ways. Would like them both!

Motors in your combined infinite wisdom guide me.

Contender #1

Lexus GS300/430 SE-L

Contender #2

Civic Type R FN2 GT

With a budget of £9-10k.

How much more will the Lexus cost to run per year than the Honda? As that would influence my decision. Maybe it would be more reliable than the Honda but that will be offset by the age difference between the two. My commute is a round trip of 20 miles a day. In total I will do no more than 10k miles per year.

Feel free to throw in alternatives. Don't waste your time with Mondeo or MX-5 though :)

My thoughts..

The Civic is a great combination of a hot hatch but with some of the luxuries that you would normally find on German saloons. More importantly I love the Honda reliability and the Japanese price tag. The interior is great and the seats are comfortable but figure holding. Compared with my current car it feels so driver focused and eager to please. VTEC is great also!

The Lexus is in my opinion the safest bet for prestige motoring without the constant niggling doubts in the back of my mind about a massive bill arriving around the corner. Decent performance from the 300 better from the 430. Full of toys and great road presence especially in black. Great to travel in and generally feels like a massive step up from my current car.

As you have probably noticed I love cars. And my next one is rather important to me. As I doubt my future purchases will bring me as much joy and fuzzy feelings as this one.

If you got this far thanks. I know my change is awhile away but I need that poster car on the wall of my mind to keep me motivated!

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
With no criteria I'd like to promote the BMW Z4, get a decent 3.0l example with spare change from 10K.
or 130i if you need a bit more practicality. I just ditched my Civic for a 130i and I DON'T regret it for a second, it's a shed load more fun to drive and the 3 litre six pot engine has serious character.

It's not that the Honda was bad, as you said, the interior was very well laid out and the drive was good, plenty involving and sharp...but I found the build quality to be a bit shabby.

Last edited:
OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Really? A top spec Lexus GS isn't worth spending 8-10k on? Lol...
depends on what you are looking for really... the GS430 is worth a look just for the engine...

the OP seems to be very schizophrenic in his taste in motors...is he ready for a powerful tourer or does he yearn for sporty? Is it a runabout or a commuter car? seems very unclear...

Commuting in a FN2 CTR? no thanks, definitely not for me
GS430 as a runabout? again, no thanks

The BMW options and even the 350Z are definitely better all-rounders...

The WRX STI kinda falls into the CTR bracket, even if they are very different in their driving feel

for me the sensible choice would be determined by the OP's driving habits...after all a 4.3l V8 would barely get warm if his daily drive was 20miles too and from work and the Lexus is a LOT of car to be lugging around city streets..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom