1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two wireless routers - can they use the same SSID?

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by Kermit, 25 May 2006.

1. Kermit

Mobster

Current Situation
    We have a LAN of 8 pc's that runs off a a switch, server 2003 and a Draytek wireless router which all works fine both physical connection and wireless.

BUT

we have an outbuilding thats out of range of the wireless router so I've run a 50m cat5 link to its patch panel and this tested ok.

The Plan
    My plan is to have both physical connections in this outbuiding (we we already have wired up) but also give the option to use their laptops wirelessly in there and this is where I'm not 100% sure.

We have a spare Draytek Vigor 2900VG wireless router (no modem in it) and I'd like to use this in the out building but as we already have a wireless router in the main building do I have to use a totally separate SSID and other wireless settings or can it somehow be setup as a relay of main wireless setup as I'd prefer not to have to setup the wireless settings on the laptops of the users with an additional secured connection (too confusing for them I fear)

Or if I used an "access point" instead would this not be an issue or would I still in effect have to have 2 wireless lans on the same network?

2. IronFire

Hitman