Types of flooring?

Soldato
I have a room that is currently covered in a carpet that's been down for about 15+ years. It has seen better days and needs replaced.

I prefer carpets but with a dog about a carpet can get a bit smelly so I'm contemplating a solid floor.

However, between laminates, wooden floors, luxury vinyl floors and so on I'm a little confused as to what to get!

Prices also seem to vary widely.

Has anyone any suggestions, and is it a case of you get what you pay for or are the cheaper coverings just as good?

Caporegime
We recently had half our downstairs done and went with Karndean tiles. Really unimpressed, marks easily, some tiles came up, others don't fit flush. Some of it is down to crap installation but the hardwood floor we had before was much better.

If I was buying again I'd go for hardwood or engineered wood.

Soldato
We've got tiles downstairs, ones in the kitchen and lounge are plank effect and porcelain ones in the other two rooms.
Four dogs and two cats and no issues so far.

Soldato
What kind of room is it?

If it’s a lounge then I’d get carpet (and a vax). Otherwise any wood or tiled floors are good options.

I don’t think plastic or laminate will hold up well to dogs.

Last edited:
Associate
Recently removed our downstairs carpets for laminate.

From what I gathered vinyl is the best in terms of longevity. It was also 66% more expensive than laminate and that's without beading.

Laminate is very good overall, its main weakness being liquid ingress between the planks. It is wood afterall and can swell if liquid is left over long periods.

Permabanned
Recently removed our downstairs carpets for laminate.

From what I gathered vinyl is the best in terms of longevity. It was also 66% more expensive than laminate and that's without beading.

Laminate is very good overall, its main weakness being liquid ingress between the planks. It is wood afterall and can swell if liquid is left over long periods.
depends on the laminate when they drink you have pools of water all over the floor .. never been a problem .. have even come downstairs after sleeping to find the bowl knocked over did panic first few times not anymore ..plus always buy a couple of extra boxes .. just in case :)

Back
Top Bottom