Uber to lose licence to operate in London

Caporegime
News just announced that Uber will lose their licence on 30th September.

Expect an appeal inbound.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/22/uber-licence-transport-for-london-tfl

Transport for London (TfL) has today (Friday 22 September) informed Uber London Limited that it will not be issued with a private hire operator licence after expiry of its current licence on 30 September.

TfL's regulation of London's taxi and private hire trades is designed to ensure passenger safety. Private hire operators must meet rigorous regulations, and demonstrate to TfL that they do so, in order to operate. TfL must also be satisfied that an operator is fit and proper to hold a licence.

TfL has concluded that Uber London Limited is not fit and proper to hold a private hire operator licence.

TfL considers that Uber's approach and conduct demonstrate a lack of corporate responsibility in relation to a number of issues which have potential public safety and security implications. These include:

• Its approach to reporting serious criminal offences.
  • Its approach to how medical certificates are obtained.
  • Its approach to how Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks are obtained.
  • Its approach to explaining the use of Greyball in London - software that could be used to block regulatory bodies from gaining full access to the app and prevent officials from undertaking regulatory or law enforcement duties.
The Private Hire Vehicles (London) Act 1998 includes provision to appeal a licensing decision within 21 days of it being communicated to the applicant. Uber London Limited can continue to operate until any appeal processes have been exhausted.

No further comment will be made by TfL pending any appeal of this decision.

Soldato
FFS

We should all Boycott black cabs, i refuse to pay their ridiculously overpriced fares. Uber was always so convenient and cheap, this has really annoyed me.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm pretty sure this will be resolved in the 21 days or there will be something to sort this out. Uber won't be kicked out of London.

Sooner black cabs die the better.

Caporegime
I'm sure a company with their financial resources will find it easy to comply with the requirements of achieving a PH license. They just felt like they were above the law and should be given a free pass because they were "innovating" or similar. I agree that black cabs made themselves irrelevant as much as Uber did, but that doesn't mean that it's OK for Uber to just ignore the terms under which they were granted their license.

Soldato
The whole reason Uber became so popular was because black cabs were so arrogant and unwilling to adapt.

So many times I've got into a black cab in London only to find the card machine covered up and the driver telling me it wasn't working. Which is obviously nothing to do with him wanting to avoid declaring his earnings..... Then the taxis themselves are old, uncomfortable and unrefined and a lot of drivers will happily take advantage if they see you're a little the worse for wear and take a longer route to get a bit more money out of you. Uber solves all these issues, and has the added bonus of being cheaper.

Black cab drivers seem very similar to tube drivers in that they consider themselves far more important than the people they work for.

Soldato
Seems like uber has been flaunting the rules long enough and TFL has finally said, no no, you need to comply and we can and will pull the plug if you don't abide.

I fully expect a resolution, there's no way either side will let this not get sorted. I don't think TFL at all wants uber stopped, this is just an ultimatum to sort all their practices out.

If it doesn't get resolved, that's 40,000 drivers out of work and an overloaded public transport system. Not good for anyone at all.

Caporegime
On a serious note though, I hope it's sorted. I find it so convenient not to have to worry about having cash on me when I need a cab locally. All the other cab firms round here don't take care payment. Also, even in the suburbs, Uber get to you very quickly.

Soldato
The reality is its just a bit of political posturing to show TFLs support for the Hackney and other PH operators, plus well TFL.

TFLs decision is also wholly correct though.

If Uber can't resolve this by the end of the month then tbh, they don't deserve and shouldn't be operating.

Soldato
On a serious note though, I hope it's sorted. I find it so convenient not to have to worry about having cash on me when I need a cab locally. All the other cab firms round here don't take care payment. Also, even in the suburbs, Uber get to you very quickly.

Yes , when i am at Furze Wren/ Turnpike on a Friday an uber is very handy for getting home!

Associate
There are a lot of things that uber needs to do with regards to protecting its customers and its employees but the basic principle of the app and service is fantastic.

It's my first port of call now and it works really well, so handy not having to scratch about for a local companies number when traveling around the country.

Soldato
how many uber drivers in london ?

40,000 but most use other apps too so they’re unlikely to lose out. Same with users. It’s not like Uber and black cabs are the only two options out there.

Can’t say I’ll shed a tear for Uber. They’re a morally bankrupt company. So many dodgy stories about them ignoring sexual harassment, harassing rape victims, using company money to hire prostituutes, writing software specifically to evade authorities, using dodgy employment practices, etc...

Back
Top Bottom