Ubuntu 20.04 Server & Linux Mint on Dual Boot

N$X

N$X

Associate
Hi guys,

I have been trying to install Ubuntu 20.04 Server edition on my Lenovo ThinkCentre M73e Tiny PC for several days.

Installation looked fine, but when it came to booting up, no operating system found.

I previously installed the same edition of Linux, on my Lenovo ThinkCentre M92p, with no hick ups, so I couldn't understand what was going wrong.

I tried 3 separate SSD's - Corsair, Crucial and Samsaung. All failed to boot with the same message.

I installed the normal version of Linux 20.04 (not server edition) and it booted fine. That baffled me more.

I messed about with the BIOS settings and that didn't help, legacy, UEFI etc.

I knew I had installed Ubuntu 20.04 Server edition on the SSD and started to install Linux Mint on there too.

It gave the option of dual boot, so I kept it (Ubuntu 20.04 Server). On restart the menu displayed Ubuntu 20.04 Server and Linux Mint. Out of curiosity, I selected Ubuntu 20.04 Server and was surprised that it booted up as normal.

I am not sure if the Linux Mint installation, somehow fixed the boot up issue.

Anyway, now I would like to get rid of Linux Mint and keep the Ubuntu 20.04 Server edition.

Is there a way of deleting or uninstalling the Linux Mint installation, so I can gain the complete partition for the Ubuntu 20.04 Server.

I am a novice on Linux and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Associate
I had a problem once where I couldn't boot my Ubuntu after copying it from one SSD to another. I fixed the problem using a live USB of Ubuntu then running boot repair. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Installing Linux Mint most probably detected what operating systems you had installed and set up grub accordingly to boot them.

In my case I also had to use GParted to create a partition to put grub on. Potentially you could use GParted to delete your Linux Mint partition and resize your Ubuntu partition and finally use Boot-Repair to remove the reference to Linux Mint rather than starting from the beginning.

N$X

N$X

Associate
OP
thanks for reply.

I tried the boot repair usb, didnt work, but I was using auto repair. maybe manual intervention was required, but I dont have much knowledge with linux.

Anyway, I installed Ubuntu server, straight over the 2 version of linux and it worked, somehow repaired the boot loader.

lesson learnt.

Back
Top Bottom