Poll: UEFA Euro 2020 Final Italy v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 11th July 2021]

Shall we lock this thread for the 90 minutes the game is on?

• Yes

Votes: 94 43.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 56.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I hate it when penalty takers do those stupid staggered run ups like Rashford does, footballing authorities have changed the rules once to stop players pausing in their run-up, I'd like to see them go further and say that players have to maintain a consistent running speed. Just pick a spot, run and shoot with no stupid shuffles or motions aimed at distracting the keeper. I think half of the time they beat themselves by not choosing a spot until the very last second based on what the keeper does.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
The maguire penalty was the perfect penalty but there is not a chance he intended that. He put his laces through it. He had very little control of where that was going.

This is penalties in a nutshell. Do a paneka and the keeper dives and it’s a brilliant penalty, keeper doesn’t dive and you look like a nob. In another shootout, that technique from Maguire would lead to a shot flying high and wide.

Bad penalties don’t always miss and good ones don’t always score. People talk about them like the player has sold the keeper a timeshare in Bognor Regis when they put the ball 3ft inside the post and the keeper dives the wrong way. “Oh top penalty, sent the keeper the wrong way beautifully.”

Most of the time, unless you smack it really hard into the very corner it’s luck as to whether the keeper saves it.

Soldato
Damn, I've seen Kane winning free kicks but had never paid attention or seen replays of what he was doing. As to say that's potentially very dangerous and clearly intentional.

you can see it is intentional because he actually eyeballs exactly where the defender is first by turning his head around and then starts backing up as soon as the ball gets crossed. Refs need to be vigilant as this is really dangerous. One of them, i think against West Ham I am surprised the defender didn't break a collar bone or his neck. It's basically scumbag behaviour that has no respect or thought for the other players safety.

Caporegime
Most of the time, unless you smack it really hard into the very corner it’s luck as to whether the keeper saves it.

I thought this was covered a few weeks ago whereby statistics show it isn't just luck.

It's a high-pressure situation and the best in the business appear to be the players who can handle it. This is why you've got keepers with a much higher penalty save percentage than others who are deemed to be around the same level. As well as players who aren't necessarily the best strikers of the ball with much better penalty records than great strikers.

If your legs are even slightly jelly due to nerves then you're not striking it how you want to and it doesn't matter how many you've taken on a training pitch or in games where the pressure isn't really on.

Last edited:
Soldato
The final of the Euros gave me flashbacks to the EL final and watching Ole limp towards a loss on penalties. The parallels between them are stark.

There are so many parallels which I think is why I'm harder on Southgate than some people.

Southgate, like Solskjaer:
  • Has done a very good job of rebuilding the team's spirit and culture, and taking responsibility where things don't go to plan.
  • Is a man manager rather than a tactician.
  • Has a bad habit of picking/refusing to substitute certain players even when they are badly out of form
  • Looks clueless against deep defences.
  • Can set a team up to start a game but can never respond to in game changes.
  • Makes awful substitutes.
That's just off the top of my head. I get the sense both have taken their teams as far as they can and have the team in a good place to be handed to a better manager, but also get the sense they will both be handed contract extensions and it will fall apart.

Man of Honour
It's not all luck, but it also is. Someone is going to miss. Under pressure, you can't have 11 great penalty takers.

Kane is a prolific penalty taker, and his one against Denmark was pathetic.

Jorginho, probably the best around, missed.

If you look at most penalties, they aren't high power and right into the corner, they just go in as the keeper goes the wrong way.

Man of Honour
We can forget about that WC 2030 bid, chances were slim anyway and now it's virtually zero.

We don't deserve it anyway, some of the behaviour on Sunday was disgusting, I know it's a minority on the whole but it was still a fair amount. Morons.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I thought this was covered a few weeks ago whereby statistics show it isn't just luck.

Yeah it isn't all luck. Bruno Fernandes has a 91% penalty conversion rate.

Of course its not just luck. I never said it was. Its very similar to poker. I could beat the worlds best poker player if I was lucky enough but statistically they are likely to beat me. The better you are at penalties the most those odds are stacked in your favour. The worse the keeper is, the more the odds are in your favour.

Its simple statistics. I'm sure there is an analysis somewhere of how likely a penalty is to be saved based on where you place it and with how much power. Unsurprisingly, that analysis would have a % chance of success assigned to a given penalty.... therefore, luck comes into it. Luck doesn't imply a lack of skill or talent, it simply means that the outcome is not completely within your control and repeating the same action would not always result in the same outcome.

Caporegime
Are people forgetting France where some Russian fans came packed with UFC gloves and mouthguards to tee off on anyone who looked like they were representing England?

Some of the scenes were disgraceful but don't pretend there hasn't been bother at most tournaments.

Caporegime
Why? Look at what is happening in Qatar, building this stadiums with actual slaves and nobody gives a crap. How many have died now in preparation for this world cup? Money talks.

Yeah absolutely but that didn't happen running up to a bid, that's all happened after the fact. Plus we all know EUFA and FIFA hate England so they'll take any opportunity they can to throw us under the bus.

We won't be getting a tournament in this country any time soon.

Associate
There are so many parallels which I think is why I'm harder on Southgate than some people.

Southgate, like Solskjaer:
  • Has done a very good job of rebuilding the team's spirit and culture, and taking responsibility where things don't go to plan.
  • Is a man manager rather than a tactician.
  • Has a bad habit of picking/refusing to substitute certain players even when they are badly out of form
  • Looks clueless against deep defences.
  • Can set a team up to start a game but can never respond to in game changes.
  • Makes awful substitutes.
That's just off the top of my head. I get the sense both have taken their teams as far as they can and have the team in a good place to be handed to a better manager, but also get the sense they will both be handed contract extensions and it will fall apart.

Exactly this - end of the road really but he will go on for another 2 or 3 years at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom