UEFA Euro 2020 Group D ** spoilers ** (England, Croatia, Scotland, C.Republic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
their press will no doubt make jokes about "time for another early brexit" or such like. It's gutter press but it sells so they'll all keep doing it.

Soldato
Yeah I goofed on the chart!

3E9ttMc2SmrcB922Srs6jT-480-80.jpg

Even better if we can actually pull out a performance and then go one further and get heartbroken in the final rather than semis.

Permabanned
I was rewatching some of clips from the qualifiers earlier. Kane and Sterling seemed to have such brilliant moments of chemistry, you wonder where it's gone.

Soldato
Don't forget Sweden have historically been a bogey team for us. Even if we beat Germany we still have to beat them next (I think Sweden will beat Ukraine). They came back from conceding 2 to win in the dying moments. England look too fragile to be able to achieve that tbh. Not to mention the heady feat of going 2 ahead to start with. Attacking after going infront? Unheard of!

Soldato
I was rewatching some of clips from the qualifiers earlier. Kane and Sterling seemed to have such brilliant moments of chemistry, you wonder where it's gone.

Kane always goes missing when it matters. It's par for the course. I just don't understand why it isn't more widely acknowledged.

Permabanned
Kane always goes missing when it matters. It's par for the course. I just don't understand why it isn't more widely acknowledged.

Historically speaking though it doesn't always appear to have been the case. Some of his setups have been outstanding, half the goals in the Bulgaria game for instance. He looks so off at the moment. I think Sterling gets unfair press most of the time as a result. If you can get him the ball he'll always commit and do something with it, even if it ends up being a fluff. He just can't do his job without someone feeding him clean and consistent balls.
It's a bit conflicting. I spend half my time defending prominent members of the squad because I genuinely think they're a great bunch of lads both on and off the pitch, but they don't half make it difficult xD

Soldato
Quarter and semi at world cup? AWOL. CL final? AWOL. 2015-2016 Premier league run-out? AWOL. Then he gets a brace or possibly hattrick in the last game once they've lost the title. When the pressure mounts he seems to implode. I'd be delighted to be shown wrong and for him to do a Geoff Hurst but my money is on another no-show when the crunch comes.

Permabanned
Quarter and semi at world cup? AWOL. CL final? AWOL. 2015-2016 Premier league run-out? AWOL. Then he gets a brace or possibly hattrick in the last game once they've lost the title. When the pressure mounts he seems to implode. I'd be delighted to be shown wrong and for him to do a Geoff Hurst but my money is on another no-show when the crunch comes.

True, true. I have an optimistically bias memory when it comes to football I must admit, especially with English players who get the stack put on them from both sides... It's the classic I suppose. We all want him to be the player we know he can be and it's frustrating that he can't pull it out.

Caporegime
Give him chances and he will score. It’s hard to do anything when you’ve got an opposition sticking 2 and sometimes 3 on you. It’s up to us to exploit that, but we don’t.

In the 3 games how many chances have we made for him? Even the Maguire pass he had to create the shooting chance for himself.

Could he have done more? Sure, I’ve admitted that he’s looked off it but he’s by far and away our best striker so he plays.

Soldato
Give him a year at City to get out of that Spursy mentality! :D

How old is he now? Will it give enough time for him to perform next world cup? Seems too short but we'll have to find out. I think he needs a couple of years and some wider assistance to improve mental resilience but come the world cup 2026 he'll be long in the tooth. Has he stayed at Spurs too long?

he’s by far and away our best striker so he plays.
And that is the problem if the best we have is a non-scoring quasi dead-weight.

Soldato
Sometimes it's not all about scoring, he's provided some epic assists for Son whilst in a Spurs shirt but when he slips on the Lions he seems to crumble (wonder if he could wear a Spurs shirt under an England one).

But at the moment he isn't scoring or assisting and when the ball goes up to him it isn't sticking either so really he's currently a liability but he won't be dropped just in case he does do something.

Soldato
he's currently a liability but he won't be dropped just in case he does do something.

But what's the point of that? If we don't play him at least we know he won't do anything, but someone else might have the chance to. Bench the dead weight and give someone else a chance. The time to sit on the bench might also remind him what his job is and help him focus a bit if he comes on as a sub. I'd rather see Mount, Grealish, Foden, Saka, Sterling pushing forwards and Kane on the bench.

Sterling, Foden
Grealish, Mount, Saka
Henderson
Chilwell, Maguire, Stones, Walker
Henderson

We all know he's going to play:

Sterling, Kane
Mount, Foden
Philips, Henderson (or Rice)
Shaw, Maguire, Stones, Walker
Pickford

Status