UEFA Euro 2020 Group D ** spoilers ** (England, Croatia, Scotland, C.Republic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Why would they look to extend before the tournament is even finished? The FA are a bunch of clowns so does make sense they would look to keep a clown in charge either way.

What if we get embarrassed by Germany, a rogering like 4/5 nil? Easy qualification, easy group, first remotely decent side and they smash us? Yep totally warrants a contract extension in that scenario.

Soldato
All the negativity in this thread. We really are a defeatist country. I’m constantly trying to balance with fair analysis which include the positive aspects of our squad and how they play. I genuinely believe they’re giving themselves the best chance of winning the tournament. Such a solid qualifying round, especially when compared with history. We might not win but we also might. The bookies don’t back us as third favourite for no reason.

Everyone seems to know the score. They've seen it all before. They just know. They're so sure that England's gonna throw it away, gonna blow it away but I know they can play 'Cause I remember…

Soldato
Why would they look to extend before the tournament is even finished? The FA are a bunch of clowns so does make sense they would look to keep a clown in charge either way.

What if we get embarrassed by Germany, a rogering like 4/5 nil? Easy qualification, easy group, first remotely decent side and they smash us? Yep totally warrants a contract extension in that scenario.
It's the same as when United get excited and want to give Ole a new contract when he wins 3 games in a row, end of the day what reason is there to give someone a new deal? Main one is to stop someone else getting him (or at least without compensation).

Lets be honest here who is beating Gareth Southgates door down to give him a top job? Answer no one. So why rush to give him a new deal? Wait and see how the tournament pans out then decide.

fez

fez

Caporegime
The bookies don’t back us as third favourite for no reason.

No they are doing it for a very good reason. Giving better odds makes the idiots think England might win it and makes them bet more. If by some miracle we did win, they pay out less because the odds are shorter and if we go out they have made a killing.

Man of Honour
_119073954_england'sattackateuro2020.png

Soldato
No they are doing it for a very good reason. Giving better odds makes the idiots think England might win it and makes them bet more. If by some miracle we did win, they pay out less because the odds are shorter and if we go out they have made a killing.

Betting odds are manipulated by a number of things one major thing will be people backing England. England could be 100th in the world and theyd make it in to the top 5 faves for any tournament

Caporegime
All the negativity in this thread. We really are a defeatist country. I’m constantly trying to balance with fair analysis which include the positive aspects of our squad and how they play. I genuinely believe they’re giving themselves the best chance of winning the tournament. Such a solid qualifying round, especially when compared with history. We might not win but we also might. The bookies don’t back us as third favourite for no reason.

Betting odds are manipulated by a number of things one major thing will be people backing England. England could be 100th in the world and theyd make it in to the top 5 faves for any tournament

England certainly get rated with lower odds in England because of home-team bias, but look at these odds from a German online betting site:

ok6jOzm.png

England are only one place lower than they are in the UK sites, and Germany - unsurprisingly - are a place higher. The thing that surprises me is that Belgium aren't rated higher; they've looked good to me.

Man of Honour
It's because they are playing Portugal next and if they beat them, Italy. Semi-final likely against the favourites France. So they literally have a nightmare playoff draw. You have to remember tournament odds are not "list the teams in order of how good they currently are" but rather "what are their odds of winning this specific competition".

England/Germany on the other hand have an easy draw, get past that game and it's Sweden/Ukraine. Maybe Netherlands in Semifinal. So it's quite right they have lower odds than Belgium.

Soldato
Only reason Italy have such short odds is because they are the only team already in the QF.

England certainly get rated with lower odds in England because of home-team bias, but look at these odds from a German online betting site:

ok6jOzm.png

England are only one place lower than they are in the UK sites, and Germany - unsurprisingly - are a place higher. The thing that surprises me is that Belgium aren't rated higher; they've looked good to me.

Those odds are actually very similar to the best odds available in the UK. England are 34/5 which is fractionally off those decimal odds of 8.0 (i e. 7/1).

France are 17/4 in the UK which is longer than the 7/2 in your image.

The UK betting market is incredibly competitive and so the longest odds are almost always a fair reflection of probabilities. You can usually lay the bet at something very similar is you disagree.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only reason Italy have such short odds is because they are the only team already in the QF.

Those odds are actually very similar to the best odds available in the UK. England are 34/5 which is fractionally off those decimal odds of 8.0 (i e. 7/1).

France are 17/4 in the UK which is longer than the 7/2 in your image.

The UK betting market is incredibly competitive and so the longest odds are almost always a fair reflection of probabilities. You can usually lay the bet at something very similar is you disagree.
Did Italy's odd shorten after the Austria game, surprised if it did.

Soldato
Did Italy's odd shorten after the Austria game, surprised if it did.

Of course it did. One less game to win.

Even France are only 3/11 to qualify past the Swiss. If they manage it, their odds will shorten by around that much.

England and Germany are about evens for their game. Whichever team wins will see their odds halve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom