UEFA Euro 2020 Round of 16 ** spoilers ** [26th - 29th June 2021]

Man of Honour
I thought Sterling was pretty good, and we really need people to play like that when the rest of the team is sat back to defend, you need people to risk things etc.

Caporegime
Sterling was pretty decent yesterday (for him) at least he was trying to make things happen. Whilst he keeps scoring he will play.

First half was abysmal, complete hot garbage and didn't really improve until Grealish came on. On another day Muller takes that chance and we're struggling, it was an amazing miss. You do need some luck to win tournaments and I feel we got a massive slice of it, whether you call it luck or not it had to be a goal.

Sadly Southgate will look at Grealish like the pundits do and say he can make an impact when he comes on as sub. I'd rather that potential impact be the whole game personally.

Soldato
Yeah, people are gushing about him because he buzzes around the pitch and dribbles at people and ignore the fact that he never looks to pass and move. Hes always trying to beat a man and takes 3 touches before the thought of passing even occurs to him. All of his contributions have basically been scoring goals by getting on the end of something rather than creating for others.

Don't get me wrong, I think he has been one of our better players but I honestly think we would have been better off without him a lot of the time. Grealish has been involved in 3/4 goals in this tournament and has barely plaid a full game worth of minutes.

He literally started the run that got him his goal by passing to Kane. Don’t know what the kid needs to do.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I thought Sterling was pretty good, and we really need people to play like that when the rest of the team is sat back to defend, you need people to risk things etc.

You need players to make the right decisions. Thats why Sterling will never be truly world class. He doesn't know when to dribble and when to pass. I agree that we need someone to go at the opposition when we are set up so negatively but you can see the difference between Grealish and Sterling. Grealish moves with the ball to make space, bring the ball up or open a pass. Sterling dribbles with the ball to beat a man and then wonders what to do next if he happens to beat the guy.

As I said, I think he has been one of our better players this tournament but thats not hard when 7-8 players in your team are there for the sole purpose of defending.

He literally started the run that got him his goal by passing to Kane. Don’t know what the kid needs to do.

He needs to make better decisions consistently and think pass before dribble. The most effective dribblers know when to dribble and when not to. Its one of the reasons Rashford has been so ineffectual for the past 6 months. He keeps dribbling into players and losing the ball unnecessarily by trying to beat a man when there is no need or benefit. You just run into trouble.

Hes scored 3 out of our 4 goals so far so there is only so bad he can be but I think thats just a symptom of our negative tactics and set up. I think that if we played with the likes of Sancho, Grealish and Foden instead of playing with 2 DMs and 5 in defence we wouldn't have to rely on sneaking goals.

Caporegime
Had a great match overall. Yes he often runs into blind alleys, often doesnt take an easy pass and can be frustrating but he is doing exactly what we need.
You only need to look back at this thread to see how people thought he was playing before the goal. He does make fantastic runs in to the box, so perhaps there's an argument to be made for him to replace Kane as our striker, but as a winger he doesn't seem capable of beating anyone on the outside, he always ignores the fullback on the overlap and he usually cuts inside and loses possession. The second he uses his brain he'll become a world beater but at the moment he seems very focused on himself rather than the team.

Soldato
It’s like the agenda for this thread keeps repeating itself :cry: Southgate is **** was wrapped up pretty quickly, wonder how long Sterling is **** will last before we move on to start Grealish.

fez

fez

Caporegime
It’s like the agenda for this thread keeps repeating itself :cry: Southgate is **** was wrapped up pretty quickly, wonder how long Sterling is **** will last before we move on to start Grealish.

Funnily enough most of us want to see the guy who has set up 3/4 goals whilst only playing 120 minutes getting more game time. He has looked 10x more effective at the role Sterling is there for than Sterling does. Sterling and Southgate get abuse for good reason.

Associate
Personally I wanna see Sancho ripping it up :cry:

Amazing really that United are about to outlay 75m and City likely 100m for two players that can't get a start for England. But I pretty much agree with Baz assessment above. International football is so low level compared to CL and premiership football that he can get away with playing this way and playing to not lose.

Soldato
Southgate is still cack. Look at the difference Grealish made, and then explain why we didn't start with him exactly?

fez

fez

Caporegime
Southgate is still cack. Look at the difference Grealish made, and then explain why we didn't start with him exactly?

The argument people make is that he has more of an impact against tired legs but I don't buy it. Hes not a pace merchant, hes just very good at moving the ball with him and unbalancing opposition. Hes one of those players that is just very hard to get the ball off and makes a yard of space really well.

Soldato

Calm down princess, I didn’t say we shouldn’t start Grealish. I was making a joke about the fact this thread seems to go around in circles.

I don’t know why he didn’t start him, I did wonder if he’s not fit enough to play a full 90 though.

Soldato
Calm down princess, I didn’t say we shouldn’t start Grealish. I was making a joke about the fact this thread seems to go around in circles.

I don’t know why he didn’t start him, I did wonder if he’s not fit enough to play a full 90 though.

alright sweetheart if you say so. He didn't start him because he has his favourites and that's that. Nothing will shake him out of that. It's been a trend since the world cup sadly. Even if those favourites don't sync as well as some of the alternatives.

Soldato
The argument people make is that he has more of an impact against tired legs but I don't buy it. Hes not a pace merchant, hes just very good at moving the ball with him and unbalancing opposition. Hes one of those players that is just very hard to get the ball off and makes a yard of space really well.
well it's not just pace, it denies them the opportunity to get the measure of him early on I suppose. It's harder to know what to do to handle someone when you're already tired and slower to think on your feet by that stage too. He should be starting however IMO. Maybe Southgate realises he's a valuable asset and wants to limit chance of him getting a knock/yellow? That's the problem when you don't bring as much attacking options. Maddison would have offered a more natural back-up option but Southgate wanted defenders.

Soldato
alright sweetheart if you say so. He didn't start him because he has his favourites and that's that. Nothing will shake him out of that. It's been a trend since the world cup sadly. Even if those favourites don't sync as well as some of the alternatives.

He didn't start Grealish because he needed to get the formation & tactics right. The team did a brilliant job of stuffing out the German attacks.

Southgate made the decision to bring on Grealish at the time where the German team's defence looked vulnerable, it certainly paid off.

I thought the starting line up looked negative and setup to fail. However this is why Southgate is the England manager and non of us are.

Southgate has been the best England manager since Robson & Venables.

Last edited:
Soldato
He didn't start Grealish because he needed to get the formation & tactics right. The team did a brilliant job of stuffing out the German attacks.

Southgate made the decision to bring on Grealish at the time where the German team's defence looked vulnerable, it certainly paid off.

This is why Southgate is the England manager and we aren't.

Southgate has been the best England manager since Robson, possibly Venables.

When we manage something like a 4-1 thrashing of Holland we can talk about Southgate being better than Venables. Not until. The first real test at the world cup we had no answer for, and his tactics failed him, just like with Scotland, he couldn't mix it up to change a system that was ineffective. If we win the tournament we can revisit things, but better than Venables? Hoddle even? Not from what I've seen. Better than Capello? Yes. Eriksen? Yes. Roy? Yes. Not sure he's better than Hoddle - he was only let down by Beckham's sending off. I think we'd have gone on to the final without that.

Soldato
When we manage something like a 4-1 thrashing of Holland we can talk about Southgate being better than Venables. Not until. The first real test at the world cup we had no answer for, and his tactics failed him, just like with Scotland, he couldn't mix it up to change a system that was ineffective. If we win the tournament we can revisit things, but better than Venables? Hoddle even? Not from what I've seen. Better than Capello? Yes. Eriksen? Yes. Roy? Yes. Not sure he's better than Hoddle - he was only let down by Beckham's sending off. I think we'd have gone on to the final without that.

World Cup Semi-final ( only Robson and Ramsey achieved)
Euro ? But looking good so far. Unbeaten, no goals conceded.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Can't understand the hatred for Sterling especially after last night, I admit there were a couple of times his decision making was poor, but there was literally no one making runs beyond him!

You're also the same lot that moan about backward passes, so he literally can't win.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Southgate has been the best England manager since Robson & Venables.

So what is the reason for Englands exit from the last WC. We lost to the first even remotely good side we played against.

We have had a pretty easy group this Euros and we still only scored 2 goals and had Scotland got a striker we would have lost to them. As Baz said, Germany had the same xG as us, they just didn't put any of their chances away.

People are getting a little carried away with our performances in the Euros because we beat the Germans in a knockout round finally. Considering the players we have I don't see how anyone can think we have been anything but OK.

Back
Top Bottom