UEFA Euro 2020 Semi Finals ** spoilers ** [6th - 7th July 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I'm an England fan and I called dive. Yes a win is a win but that was at most a soft penalty

I said to my patriotic English wife that it was at the very least debatable, and like a true Englishwoman, she told me to **** off back to France.

Why? Why would you boo the opponents national anthem? That's not very classy at all.

Classy? Let’s be fair, we’re talking about England fans.

If you truly care about things like that, you're a melt.

I rest my case.

No light was shone in a keepers eyes and players from all clubs dive, some for more blatantly. So...yeah no.

You didn’t see Lineker replaying the incident with the laser light on Schmeichel’s eyes?

Booing is all just part of the theatre for me, a bit like booing the baddie in a panto.

It's all just a game at the end of the day, I don't understand why people get so offended by it.

At the very least it’s showing disrespect to another country and its citizens.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Southgate didn't get the tactics wrong though..

England smashed them, Denmark were lucky it wasn't 4-1. Denmark had 1 shot inside the box...1!!
We literally gave nothing away

We smashed them by getting an OG and a soft penalty and having to go to overtime. Strange opinion of "smashed".

All it would have taken to potentially lose the game was a brief lapse of concentration, a little luck for the Danes or a piece of magic from one of their players and we would have been out.

This idea that as long as you win, your tactics were good is complete BS. If you would have won 4-0 with one tactic and scrape a 1-0 with another then you got your tactics wrong with the 1-0.

Our tactics gave the Danes a constant chance to win the game until the end. Negative football that was a mistake away from losing us the game or sending us to penalties.

We have a ridiculously good squad and Southgate is barely getting a tune out of them. Its the reason being a United fan under Ole is so frustrating. People acting like having a squad worth hundreds of millions vs a squad worth 1/10th of that doesn't mean you should be expected to play exciting football or that you should be expecting to beat the minnows of the competition.

Taking Grealish off was a perfect example of his attitude to football. Must not concede. If we don't concede we can't lose. Who cares if its entertaining or won't work when you play a few good sides. Do people rave about Greece winning in 2004? No, because they were turgid. At least they had the excuse of being unable to play any other way. We should be better. I would rather play good football and lose than play like cowards and limp to a win.

Man of Honour
Nope. Every image i've seen has it on his cheek or temple.

Fair enough, perhaps I should have said face, not eyes, shall we discount the possibility that the laser light holder was aiming for his eyes, but wasn’t very good?
Or maybe in all the excited swaying in the crowd, his hand was nudged, spoiling his aim?

Caporegime
There seems to be a big majority or people on this particular thread who firmly believe a penalty was correctly given and a significant proportion who believe it was a clear cut easy decision for a penalty.

I ask these people, do you believe you are being objective or do you admit to be biased?

There isn’t a football fan on the planet that follows a team who isn’t biased to some degree. Some will say they aren’t, but they are, me included.

Soldato
We smashed them by getting an OG and a soft penalty and having to go to overtime. Strange opinion of "smashed".

All it would have taken to potentially lose the game was a brief lapse of concentration, a little luck for the Danes or a piece of magic from one of their players and we would have been out.

This idea that as long as you win, your tactics were good is complete BS. If you would have won 4-0 with one tactic and scrape a 1-0 with another then you got your tactics wrong with the 1-0.

Our tactics gave the Danes a constant chance to win the game until the end. Negative football that was a mistake away from losing us the game or sending us to penalties.

We have a ridiculously good squad and Southgate is barely getting a tune out of them. Its the reason being a United fan under Ole is so frustrating. People acting like having a squad worth hundreds of millions vs a squad worth 1/10th of that doesn't mean you should be expected to play exciting football or that you should be expecting to beat the minnows of the competition.

Taking Grealish off was a perfect example of his attitude to football. Must not concede. If we don't concede we can't lose. Who cares if its entertaining or won't work when you play a few good sides. Do people rave about Greece winning in 2004? No, because they were turgid. At least they had the excuse of being unable to play any other way. We should be better. I would rather play good football and lose than play like cowards and limp to a win.

Look at the statistics i posted. How you can argue the tactics weren't good is beyond me, they obviously did work. 15 shots inside the box to 1.We dominated them, Denmark had a standout player with Schmeichel. On a different day, 9 times out of 10, thats a 3-1 or 4-1 drubbing going by that xG. Denmark had heart, it kept the ball out of the net, but to say it was a close game or something is baffling.

Caporegime
Fair enough, perhaps I should have said face, not eyes, shall we discount the possibility that the laser light holder was aiming for his eyes, but wasn’t very good?
Or maybe in all the excited swaying in the crowd, his hand was nudged, spoiling his aim?

There's a difference between outcome and intent. He may have had the intent but there was no negative outcome.

Associate
We beat Denmark because they were gassed in ET. Our tactics were too negative and we lacked creativity in midfield. Also for some reason Pickford had a shocker. If I were a betting man then I'd say Italy are just about favourites, but the markets say vice versa.

Anyone read that their free kick goal shouldn't have stood? Players too close to the wall or something heh

Soldato
At the very least it’s showing disrespect to another country and its citizens.

It may well be disrespect (and a lot more!) between some countries, but I don't think the vast majority of English fans booing last night have any ill feeling towards the nation of Denmark or Danish people.

Soldato
We beat Denmark because they were gassed in ET. Our tactics were too negative and we lacked creativity in midfield. Also for some reason Pickford had a shocker. If I were a betting man then I'd say Italy are just about favourites, but the markets say vice versa.

Anyone read that their free kick goal shouldn't have stood? Players too close to the wall or something heh
and that's assuming their 2nd free kick was right to be awarded to begin with....

Soldato
It may well be disrespect (and a lot more!) between some countries, but I don't think the vast majority of English fans booing last night have any ill feeling towards the nation of Denmark or Danish people.
Then don't boo a national anthem. It's disrespectful.

Caporegime
Look at the statistics i posted. How you can argue the tactics weren't good is beyond me, they obviously did work. 15 shots inside the box to 1.We dominated them, Denmark had a standout player with Schmeichel. On a different day, 9 times out of 10, thats a 3-1 or 4-1 drubbing going by that xG. Denmark had heart, it kept the ball out of the net, but to say it was a close game or something is baffling.
Had we not got the dodgy penalty, we could have had a shootout, and as we all know that's a coin toss, basically.

We didn't dominate them at all. As I recall Sterling had the best chance and he put it straight at Schmeichel. Other than that Maguire had a weak header comfortably saved. Without that (generous) penalty we were screwed, because we weren't set out to score more and put the game to bed.

You don't dominate a team by passing it around in the midfield. For all the "Olés" echoing around the stadium, we just weren't interested in getting another goal. We just set out not to concede. That is 100% Gareth Southgate. "Do not concede lads. Goals aren't the main focus."

That's not really a strategy. You can't have a Plan A which is "don't concede" and not have a Plan B.

For Pete's sake he took of Grealish (subbed a sub) because he prefers to pack the ranks with defenders, rather than to go try scoring up the other end.

Soldato

They were falling down by the 60th min. We played them off the park then. They didn't have the fitness.

Caporegime
They were falling down by the 60th min. We played them off the park then. They didn't have the fitness.
Honestly, without that penalty, do you think we would have got another goal?

Being fit is great and all, but it counts for nothing if you don't score. Passing it around the mid-field and back to your keeper is the same. Great that you can keep the ball, but can you score?

Before we got that penalty, remember how many here were basically waiting for the shootout.. why is that... because we didn't look like we were trying to score. Just trying not to concede.

Soldato
Honestly, without that penalty, do you think we would have got another goal?

Being fit is great and all, but it counts for nothing if you don't score. Passing it around the mid-field and back to your keeper is the same. Great that you can keep the ball, but can you score?

Before we got that penalty, remember how many here were basically waiting for the shootout.. why is that... because we didn't look like we were trying to score. Just trying not to concede.
I like to think we would have. Watch the game again, we didn't just pass it round the back all game, far from it. It's why we often looked threatened by their counter and why we won so many fouls. They struggled to contain us and I think we'd have pressed for a goal if it wasn't for the Pen.

Soldato
Had we not got the dodgy penalty, we could have had a shootout, and as we all know that's a coin toss, basically.

We didn't dominate them at all. As I recall Sterling had the best chance and he put it straight at Schmeichel. Other than that Maguire had a weak header comfortably saved. Without that (generous) penalty we were screwed, because we weren't set out to score more and put the game to bed.

You don't dominate a team by passing it around in the midfield. For all the "Olés" echoing around the stadium, we just weren't interested in getting another goal. We just set out not to concede. That is 100% Gareth Southgate. "Do not concede lads. Goals aren't the main focus."

That's not really a strategy. You can't have a Plan A which is "don't concede" and not have a Plan B.

For Pete's sake he took of Grealish (subbed a sub) because he prefers to pack the ranks with defenders, rather than to go try scoring up the other end.

Had we not got a soft penalty, we could have scored after as well. Its kinda irrelevant.

Watch the highlights again, look at the opportunities to score. We dominated them. It was closer to 4-1 than 2-1. Denmark were very luck it wasn't a drubbing, highlighted by the fact the GK had a MOTM performance.

Also, do you honestly think plan A is "don't condede"

Kinda gives the impression you think Southgate and his team are morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom