• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

uHOH ! Sapphire 5850 vanilla not reference ??

Associate
was it the same sapphire combined with a CODMW2 game? if so, that's how it is supposed to be (according to their site)

Nope the SKU numbers are different. The CODMW2 one is a Sapphire blue PCB model.

The one I linked to is the reference SKU number it comes with Dirt2 and Pacific Battlestations and is referred to as the "game version" on the Sapphire site.

Associate
Thats the card I ordered and got a blue PCB one Mercurial.

If Asus arent reference, I think it may be just the cooler, or do they have their own pcb too ? come to that even non ref coolers might be a pain if they have custom heatsinks on the back of the card (VRM I pressume).

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm in a similar boat to yourself as I need a reference board for a water block to fit.

BTW the Asus boards aren't a reference design as far as I can see and from what I have read.

As stated there still are reference boards out there (but very few).

Best of luck!

Soldato
I totally agree that the pic should show the exact same card your getting. You wouldnt put up with it buying most other things. For one it totally screws watercoolers over as they will have bought that card on grounds to fit a block. Could always buy second hand.

Soldato
I work for an electronics company and I can categorically say that all manufacturers design a 'cost down' version of a product when the first version has been successfully released.
As the name implies, the cost down version will have the same functionality but the cheapest components possible to maximise the profit margin.

Therefore it is best to avoid any rev2 versions of the 5850 if you can.

Caporegime
I work for an electronics company and I can categorically say that all manufacturers design a 'cost down' version of a product when the first version has been successfully released.
As the name implies, the cost down version will have the same functionality but the cheapest components possible to maximise the profit margin.

Therefore it is best to avoid any rev2 versions of the 5850 if you can.

Yup, in general thats the idea, and why not, its normally to help cover costs as costs reduce, if people stopped paying over the odds in the UK and let them stay on the shelves until they dropped, we'd be paying £180-190 by now for 5850's, and cheaper production helps Sapphire et all maintain the same profit level.

AS we've all seen a certain site sell at cost to a few lucky forum members, that was at £250, you can all tell EXACTLY how much mark up retailers can add and what you should be paying.

Thing is, for instance, MSI's lightning version is most certainly a more expensive version.

I'd still suggest a reference version, for 3rd party cooling should you want it.

I'd also say it hasn't been hard to tell for 6 months now that a 5850 was a damn good choice, its not like people haven't had time to get one now ;)

Something like the prolimatech cooler would most likely fit on non reference designs though, you might have to buy some vrm specific cooler, or small sinks to stick on. Theres really no need to water cool them, the prolimatech has my card running at 36C load, in a warm room, not heating up my CPU any more than usual and running silently.

To say the stock cooling sucks balls, would be to understate how bad it is.

Asus's new one is probably the pick of the bunch, a decent sized cooler(depth of fins UNDER the fan is how to get good cooling, vapourX isn't that good to be honest) and a proper fan to finish it off.

Supports voltage increases so probably overclocks well with decent stock cooling to boot. Decent enough sink you could probably whip the fan/shroud off and stick a £5 zalman on with zipties for silent and great cooling.

Associate
Hi guys, sorry to bump this old thread, but can anybody confirm that the Manufacturer's code for this Sapphire 5850 that OcUK are selling - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-215-SP - is accurate?

It is listed as 21162-00-50R which is the original reference design, yet the picture shows a non-reference card with the fan in the centre. I am after a Reference 5850 because they exhaust most of the hot air out of the case, while most of the non-reference designs exhaust it back into the case. Ideally someone who has brought this particular card (stock code: GX-215-SP) could advise that they did receive a 21162-00-50R card.

Associate
Well I went ahead and purchased this card after the OCUK pre-sales team advised me that the manufacturer codes were accurate and I would receive a 21162-00-50R card, only for a non-reference 11162-00-40R card to arrive today instead. I'm pretty annoyed by this, as if I wanted a vanilla non-reference card I could have brought an XFX 5850 for about £40 less. I'm now getting it RMA'd, I think I might go with a GTX 460 when I get my money back.

Soldato
Return it under the distance selling regulation.

I bough 5870, on the pic it was reference but they delivered me non reference crap.

That crappy card wouldn't overlock even 10mhz on stock volts and of course this crappy card had no voltage control.

I was ****ed off but it was too late to return it. Was so annoyed.

So...return it, I hate when retailers put up a wrong picture >_<

Associate
Well I've already got an RMA number so I'm just going to follow that process. Yeah these non-reference 5000 series cards are ****, I'm especially annoyed with this order because the code stated on the website was for a reference card and I was assured by the pre-sales team that "all codes on the website are accurate". Now I have to mess about getting this card back to them and waiting for my refund until I can get something else.

Back
Top Bottom