UK court to unmask 'file-sharers'

Caporegime
Shoseki said:
I have a wireless network router, unprotected. Anyone could have used it.

Lets see them enforce something where the user is anonymous on a second level.

A user in Yankee land was prosecuted for leaving a router unsecured, as their neighbours used it which violated their TOS with the ISP.

It's long winded, but remember that Al Capone only got arrested because of a dodgy tax return.

Soldato
Swinehog said:
That's the reason why i never use any of the p2p systems that you have to constantly upload on. Newsgroups do just fine for me. Leechers rule
Although 99.9% of people here use/have used illegal download applications, I'm not too sure openly admitting to it is within forum rules :confused:

Soldato
Swinehog said:
Newsgroups can be used for legal activities also you know, and i'd rather leech than share.
Im sure they can be used for legal things, but were not in the "UK courts to unmask Legal File Sharers and give them a cookie" thread now are we

Soldato
no but if you seriously think that what FACT or any of these companies do is going to have any effect on File sharing seeing that the major players in the scene don't even use P2p in the 1st place then they are seriously deluded.

TBH i feel sorry for those caught because they are not the major players in all of this yet they are going to make them scrapgoats and the end outcome will be no different.

There is a Del Boy inside of all of us and if they seriously want to stop this then the whole internet would have to be scrapped. Its human nature to look for the cheaper alternatives.

Soldato
As long as it's software I'm OK.

I only get Lost episodes. They wouldn't sue a poor teenager anyway :)

A mate told me that only hate people who constantly share, ie have P2P applications open the whole time. He claimed that if you only download things, you won't get in trouble. True?

Last edited:
Soldato
Tommy B said:
As long as it's software I'm OK.

I only get Lost episodes. They wouldn't sue a poor teenager anyway :)

A mate told me that only hate people who constantly share, ie have P2P applications open the whole time. He claimed that if you only download things, you won't get in trouble. True?

If you only download you're only less likely to get sued, not immune. Being a poor teenager probably makes you more of a target if anything, being made an example etc. as a lot of people using P2P are poor teenagers ;)

Soldato
pabloB said:
Just curious but what happens if you have dl'ed a torrent of an album for example, what happens if you own the CD of that Album? I guess it boils down to whether or not you have uploaded anything. Would it be the same with software?
Its still illegal, if you go by UK law, to download an album even if you have it on cd. Uploading is a whole new kettle of fish and is a more illegal.

Caporegime
Let them try and sue me. A quick phone call to pay off my student loan and some bank loan and pooft, I'm still £10K in dept! They can pick up the tab if they want and pay off the rest of the loan! LOL

Soldato
Swinehog said:
no but if you seriously think that what FACT or any of these companies do is going to have any effect on File sharing seeing that the major players in the scene don't even use P2p in the 1st place then they are seriously deluded..
Where in any of my posts did i mention anything remotely like that, i said on these forums warez talk is banned

Caporegime
This poor student stuff doesn't fly anyway. You are only going to need something as powerful as Office or Visual Studio when you start doing a degree, and that's covered by a Microsoft Campus agreement. I can get a free upgrade to Vista when it is released, and the new Office when that's released, as well as Visual Studio 2005, and I can keep these installed until I finish my degree. When I'm done with my degree, I won't need them any more, so it's not a problem.

Not being able to afford software doesn't give you a license to pirate the stuff. And a for people complaining about the price of Office, I seriously doubt you use 10% of what it gives you, and can get by fine on Microsoft Works, which is about £50.

And looking at Windows, it's not that expensive. The most costly version of the desktop version is XP Professional Retail. It costs £230, and has been out since 2001. In that time, 5 versions of Mac OS have been released (10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4), which each cost £89. Buying each of these would have cost you £445.

Last edited:
Caporegime
vonhelmet said:
If you're using torrents you're always uploading.

As such, even if you own the CD you're screwed as goodness knows who you could have been uploading to.

Of course that depends on how things are configured. If you don't upload or have a 'different' version of said software then that rules that side of it out.

All I see here is another little scare story to put off a few people.
How long has music/software piracy been going on, how many thousands of people do it and how many total convictions have they had...
not a lot I'll wager.

Things may change but at the moment I can't think of a 'safer' crime...and just how many break speed limits without giving it a second thought.

Last edited:
Associate
MrMatteh said:
fun

annoyingly my housemate used/uses bittorrent. As the bill payer, however, i would be screwed :(

Nah, if it came down to it you would be no more liable then the isp. Similar to the law which requires the registered owner of a vehicle to disclose the driver at the time of a speed offence to be given imo

Back
Top Bottom