1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Gas Prices Up 22%, Fuel Poverty?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by clv101, 17 Feb 2006.

1. clv101

Capodecina

British Gas who supply more than half domestic gas in the UK have today announced a 22% price increase. Here's my take on it: Gas Prices Increase, Fuel Poverty Down?

It's also intersting that the Government expect the level of fuel poverty to reduce, look at this graph from a Government publication in January:

[​IMG]
    Fuel Poverty

They think fuel poverty is going to fall!

The BBC still aren't getting to the root of the problem with their reporting of gas price rises (North Sea gas depletion and Governments inaction) and the Government are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think prices can rise like this and fuel poverty fall at the same time. How can the price of something increase whilst it simultaneously becomes more affordable? We certainly aren’t getting richer.

2. Dingo

Banned

Because Gordon "yes, I'm smiling like an idiot because I want to be the next Prime Minister" Brown will no doubt be hiking the taxes to compensate for this and the £3 Billion shortfall in his numbers.

And when the rest of you in the country start paying Congestion Charges just remember "Red" Ken started it!!

3. conundrum

PermaBanned

Where is the Gas being sourced from, through wholesale prices by EU companies sitting on the Gas and charging more. There is not shortage of Gas per se just a shortage of companies willing to let it flow without massive price hikes. It has been well reported that the connector is run but France and German companies and the UK Government know that this would be the end result but could do nothing about it due to their incoherent energy strategy.

4. Treefrog

PermaBanned

Tell me about it! :mad:

Out of a £95 Giro I'm currently spending about £25 on gas+electricity. Fuel poverty is defined as spending over 10% of your income on fuel IIRC.

5. dirtydog

PermaBanned

You on the rock'n'roll Treefrog?

6. Treefrog

PermaBanned

'Fraid so. I'm waiting for them to get back to me about the HGV driving course that's available.