Ultraleap (Leap Motion) hand tracking in Qualcomm XR2 chips

Soldato
Pretty exciting to see a competitor to Oculus Quest's hand tracking. Full disclosure, I work for Ultraleap. Having tried some early builds of the Gemini hand tracking months ago, I am really excited to see what people think of it when it makes it into a headset and people start making comparisons.

https://uploadvr.com/qualcomm-ultraleap-hand-tracking/

I'm interested to know what you guys make of this though.

Soldato
I really wish the leap motion USB dongle would get used more, The possibilities for hand tracking games would be amazing, I never got my hands on one but it would be perfect for the Index's front USB port, If I ever find one that's a decent price I'll have a play around.

Soldato
Devrij working on the cutting edge of VR technology!! :)

I am in two minds about hand tracking. It's cool and all but the lack of any tactile feedback is a real negative. That's why I think gloves with some kind of haptic feedback are the way to go.

Soldato
I think both have their place, there’s definitely a lot to be gained from haptics but ultimately there’s a cost and convenience factor too... in a commercial setting certainly no gloves is much easier than trying to fit gloves to multiple users, sanitisation concerns etc.

I’m really hoping that soon we see games really start to adopt a hybrid approach where you can use accessories such as HOTAS, wheels etc then just use your hands to interact with the virtual environment for knobs/buttons/touch screens etc without having to keep a vr controller within reach.

Soldato
I think something like a wristband with haptic feedback might be a good compromise for hand interactions using cameras like Oculus or Leap Motion. The wristband could also be tracked to help confirm the arm and wrist position.

Soldato
OP
Devrij working on the cutting edge of VR technology!! :)

I am in two minds about hand tracking. It's cool and all but the lack of any tactile feedback is a real negative. That's why I think gloves with some kind of haptic feedback are the way to go.

Yeah, I don't do any of the clever engineering work, so don't worry mate!

Funnily enough, we actually make a haptic device that doesn't require a wearable. It uses ultrasound transducers and constructive wave interference to vibrate your skin enough that you can feel it (like a buzzing feeling), and we use our hand tracking to tell it where to send the sensation on your hand. So yeah I agree that haptics and hand tracking are a bit of a package deal.

One thing I would have killed for is to get our hand tracking into msfs VR so you could take your hands off your hotas and just reach out to change your AP settings etc. No joy on that yet, but not for lack of me bugging MS :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I don't do any of the clever engineering work, so don't worry mate!

Funnily enough, we actually make a haptic device that doesn't require a wearable. It uses ultrasound transducers and constructive wave interference to vibrate your skin enough that you can feel it (like a buzzing feeling), and we use our hand tracking to tell it where to send the sensation on your hand. So yeah I agree that haptics and hand tracking are a bit of a package deal.

One thing I would have killed for is to get our hand tracking into msfs VR so you could take your hands off your hotas and just reach out to change your AP settings etc. No joy on that yet, but not for lack of me bugging MS :p

haha well keep bugging them!! Or Bug harder mate :)

Soldato
Or talk to Eagle Dynamics, they're big on VR. It's good to hear the ultrasonic interface is still being pursued, i find that a very interesting solution.

Soldato
OP
Or talk to Eagle Dynamics, they're big on VR. It's good to hear the ultrasonic interface is still being pursued, i find that a very interesting solution.
Flyinside actually supports the leap motion controller for FSX, so we have a bit of form there (not our work, so can't comment on the quality of the implementation)

Soldato
Flyinside actually supports the leap motion controller for FSX, so we have a bit of form there (not our work, so can't comment on the quality of the implementation)

You should get a job in the accuracy testing department. I remember yourself and Fluke were both dead eye sharp shooters!!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Soooo, is oculus implementing this in the quest2 ?

They have their own hand tracking. It's actually very good. Not quite up to Leap standards, but 95% of the way there imho* and they are improving all the time.

*Disclosure - I've developed hand tracking apps using both the Leap and the Oculus. Oculus is easier to integrate, at least in Unity.

Associate
Maybe not the right thread but every time I'm driving in VR, I think how great it would be for my in-game hands to move as they do in the real world. Just little things like small grip adjustments, flexing the fingers etc, it would be massively immersive to see the hands on the wheel mirror my own hands on my own real wheel :)

Back
Top Bottom