Unable to game online with USB tethered 4G

Associate
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, wasn't too sure where to post, but;

I'm between broadband providers and have to wait for a week until new connection is set up, so in the meantime I thought I'd tether my OnePlus 6T to the PC.

I ran Speedtest and amazingly, I get something ridiculous like 180mb down and 55mb up with 20ms ping (compared to 17 down, 1 up and 25ms with my old Sky Unlimited). Streamed a documentary on All4 fine, watched a Youtube video, did your usual every day browsing, absolutely no sweat.

Went to launch ArmA 3 for a quick game with a mate, but no joy. Server browser is empty and can't direct connect to mate's server. I got a pop up messaging about port forwarding but I'm afraid to say, I know SFA about networking.

Can anyone help? TIA :cool:

Soldato
Is your PC treating your phone as a public connection and blocking everything on the Windows Firewall? (assuming Windows...)
Whilst I've never tried ArmA I've gamed tethered off my phone on 3G previously and didn't have to jump through any weird hoops to get it working, so hopefully it's just something small stopping you.

Soldato
Here is the ports Steam
What does CGNAT mean and how can I change/disable this?

It relates to how the mobile providers give you your IP address. It is not something you can disable/enable or "easily" work around. You need to test to see if it is indeed that causing a problem.

See here:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

Specifically:
  • UDP remote port 27000--27100: Game traffic
  • UDP local port 27031 and 27036: In-Home Streaming
  • TCP local port 27036 and 27037: In-Home Streaming
  • UDP remote port 4380
That is the ports Steam needs to function, also used when querying the Steam server browser.

Try a port test using shieldsup and see what it says for the ports:

https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=27015

Just change the port number in the url to change the port test.

Out of interest, does the Steam server browser work in the client?

Steam> View> Servers>

wVwcRWv.png

Also, just to make sure, do you have filters set in the Arma 3 browser do you?

Does your Mobile account have any funky settings you can change through your account portal perhaps? Some weird child protection control settings for example?

Soldato
Could you try connecting to Arma servers using a VPN? This might slow your connection down / increase latency, but could bypass whatever is blocking you - even if it's for testing purposes.

Associate
OP
Thanks very much for these responses, sounds like you guys know exactly what you're talking about.

AFAIK no filters set in ArmA 3 ingame server browser.

As for the VPN, would that have to be set up on my phone or on the PC? (I wasn't kidding earlier, I really know naff all about networking :confused::D)

I'm at work at the moment so can't try your suggestions, but will have a go when I get home this evening :)

Soldato
As for the VPN, would that have to be set up on my phone or on the PC? (I wasn't kidding earlier, I really know naff all about networking :confused::D)

I would try one on the PC first, so connect to tether as normal, and then open a VPN connection to some local UK server is probably best for performance purposes.

Soldato
EE do use a Carrier-Grade NAT so your screwed (Sorry!).

What that means is that you cannot conventionally forward ports as your IP address is shared among many users (Running out of IPv4 addresses).

Your only way out is to setup a VPN server and forward ports through that but for gaming, no idea what the performance will be.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hmmm... Damn:( I may actually have a 2 week wait for new connection to be set up, so this is definitely not what I wanted to find out. So frustrating to see that Speedtest result and not be able to game.

How would I go about setting up a VPN server?

Soldato
https://www.vyprvpn.com/

3 days free trial, £6.90 a month.

They allow port forwarding through their desktop app and I believe you can disable their NAT Firewall if needed (not recommended though).

EDIT:

No, you cannot port forward through the desktop app BUT they only block port 25 (emails, so not a problem).

You can disable their NAT firewall if you wish:

M2ulKD3.png

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It would get around the CGNAT issue, yes.

Worth a 3 day free trial :D

Well, Openreach engineer is hooking me up on the 9th, and that's only if there's a free fibre port in the local switch ( :rolleyes:!), so if that fails I'm looking at another two weeks wait until they then set me up on a standard (eugh) broadband connection. So basically I'd be looking at paying the 6.99.

Soldato
Well, Openreach engineer is hooking me up on the 9th, and that's only if there's a free fibre port in the local switch ( :rolleyes:!), so if that fails I'm looking at another two weeks wait until they then set me up on a standard (eugh) broadband connection. So basically I'd be looking at paying the 6.99.

Try it free first, if does not work for you, cancel. If works, they bill you after the 3 days. Just make sure you sign for up for the monthly plan :D

Back
Top Bottom