Unable to game online with USB tethered 4G

Associate
(I posted this thread in the PC Games section but it was recommended that I post it here too)

I'm between broadband providers and have to wait for a week until new connection is set up, so in the meantime I thought I'd tether my OnePlus 6T to the PC.

I ran Speedtest and amazingly, I get something ridiculous like 180mb down and 55mb up with 20ms ping (compared to 17 down, 1 up and 25ms with my old Sky Unlimited). Streamed a documentary on All4 fine, watched a Youtube video, did your usual every day browsing, absolutely no sweat.

Went to launch ArmA 3 for a quick game with a mate, but no joy. Server browser is empty and can't direct connect to mate's server. I got a pop up messaging about port forwarding but I'm afraid to say, I know SFA about networking.

Can anyone help? TIA :cool:

Here's a link to the original thread so you can see what's been suggested/tried so far

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/unable-to-game-online-with-usb-tethered-4g.18851556/

Associate
instead of tethering, use the mobile hotspot function on the phone and connect to it over wireless. games worked no problem(except crap ping) for me on t-mobile(ee)

Associate
OP
Just got off the phone to EE tech support and the lady was lovely, but clueless.
She suggested I change from 4G to 3G. While I don't know much about ports, etc, I mentioned the possibility of ports being blocked and she openly said that was something she knew nothing about (and went so far as to say nobody in the office would know either!)

Soldato
I have no idea about this game but if you’re looking to forward ports then you’re going to have trouble with doing it over a 4G connection possibly because of something called CG-NAT. This additional layer of network translation on mobile networks can cause problems with dynamic DNS services, running servers behind it and things like CCTV systems. If this game needs some sort of peer-to-peer connection likely CG-NAT may prevent it from doing so.

Soldato
The best work around is to buy a SIM card from a provider that doesn't use it but the subscription plans are expensive comparatively as they're designed for business and niche applications.

Associate
OP
Ok I don't mind picking up a cheap one, but why would tethering work over WiFi and not USB? It doesn't really make sense? :confused:

Edit: Luckily eligible for Amazon Prime so just ordered one for delivery tomorrow. I still don't understand how a wireless connection would work and a hard, USB 3 connection wouldn't.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom