Undecided about X-FI

Soldato
Ive got the Fatal1ty because i wanted the front bay and they didnt have the Platinum on OcUK at the time. I was on the ol' faithful AC'97 before this. At first i didnt really notice a difference but as i got accustomed to it i have found myself being amazed by the sound.

I have used the Audio Creation mode on Nuendo (like Cubase) and its immense, i can get the Latency to 2ms with no clipping whatsoever!!! I use my Yamaha SY85 through the midi ports.

The entertainment mode is great, the 5.1 audio is amazing and listening to the sounds on the Star Wars trilogy with the THX is awesome.

I may get some Yamaha NS10's or some Mackies and plug them up so i can engineer and monitor sound.

All in all a worthy upgrade if you have the cash.

The only bad points ive come across so far is that whenever i play quake 4 with headphones on with EAX HD enabled and pause the game i get a very high pitched noise squeeling through my heaphones. And also whenever i install knew software and reboot i get crackling through the speakers...but afetr another reboot its goes away. Bit strange really.

Last edited:
Associate
Likely. The AN8 has an... AC97 based Realtek sound card? They aren't known to be superb sources. An amp and good speaker can't fully compensate a weak source.

Soldato
Tommy B said:
Would I notice a difference considering I'm using my Abit AN8 built-in sound connected to an AMP and large speakers.

GET IT!

I went from an onboard soundcard to my X-Fi Fatal1ty and i havnt looked back since!

As said above he makes an extremely valid point!

Soldato
OP
James101 said:
Ive heard of a few problems when using this card with games (especially with battlefield 2, which i play a lot)

anyone here had any probs ?
I have just been playing BF2 just now and it has been working superbly. Only trouble im having is that when i speak into the mic it comes out the speakers and I cant suss out how to stop it thats not just in bf2 though

Caporegime
I have an xfi on the way coming from an audigy 2 ZS lets hope its worth it. But buy the sounds of it reading this thread I won't be dissapointed. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom