• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Underperforming 3090?

Associate
Hi there, I today received my MSI 3090 gaming X Trio and I have noticed almost 0 improvement in my pc performance FPS wise. I upgraded from a 2080ti which I know won’t make a crazy crazy crazy difference but for example in warzone my FPS didn’t increase at all and stayed at the same 100-130 FPS range which settings on medium. I also noticed that during warzone my gpu usage in task manager was extremely low around 1-8%
My whole pc is the following:
CPU: i9 10900 2.8Ghz
Gpu: MSI 3090 gaming X Trio
Ram: 32Gb (4x8) 4400MHz
Ssd: 1x1Tb 1x250Gb
Power: 850W
Motherboard: ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming

Any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks!

Associate
V-sync on?
Did you lock your max fps in Nvidia Control Panel?
Power Management mode to Max Performance?
You're running a 3090, put your settings on high/ultra

Associate
OP
V-sync on?
Did you lock your max fps in Nvidia Control Panel?
Power Management mode to Max Performance?
You're running a 3090, put your settings on high/ultra
I don’t have v sync on and I tried with high and ultra and it wasn’t any different. I’ve got a friend with a almost identical set up but with a 3080 instead and he’s getting 250 FPS average with the same settings as me in warzone also max fps is off in NVIDIA control panel

Associate
Well when you said your gpu was at so low usage it made me think you have an fps lock/cap somewhere. Are you runing Rivatuner with Msi Afterburner? Rivatunner has a setting called Framerate limit, see if there's a figure in there

Associate
well it comes and asks if you want to install it when you install AB, it's the thing that gives you the overlay that displays your comps stats and fps

Soldato
Is it just that game or others? A quick Google search reveals plenty of people struggling with the same issue with just Warzone and not other games

A friend of mine has had to reduce his power limit down to 60% 'just' to get his 3090 STRIX running stable without BSODs on a Thor 850w.

Did I mention 3090's are like Humvee's? (think I did lol).
And I wasn't kidding.
They need some serious juice to run well.

Admittedly the STRIX OC is probably the most power hungry 3090 out there next to the FTW3.

Associate
A friend of mine has had to reduce his power limit down to 60% 'just' to get his 3090 STRIX running stable without BSODs on a Thor 850w.

Did I mention 3090's are like Humvee's? (think I did lol).
And I wasn't kidding.
They need some serious juice to run well.

Admittedly the STRIX OC is probably the most power hungry 3090 out there next to the FTW3.
Is your friends issue related to over current protection?

Soldato
3090 is significantly faster than 2080ti

Issues I can think of

1) cpu bottleneck
2) low resolution -> see 1)
3) psu issues
4) driver issues
5) bios/firmware issues

Can you please run msi afterburner and monitor the following

gpu usage
Gpu power draw
Gpu clock speed
Gpu fan speed
Gpu temperature
Cpu usage
Cpu clock speed
Cpu temperature
Ram usage

then play war zone with unlocked framerate and vsync disabled

Soldato
warzone is a CPU/Memory benchmark in it self. unless your gaming at 4K you will always be CPU/memory bound

going from 3200mhz ram to 4000mhz can get you over 100 fps alone in warzone. its sad but this game is cpu/memory starved.

so whack up the settings to ultra+RTX too & watch GPU go to 99% and get better frames

/thread end

Back
Top Bottom