Underrated cars with potential?

Caporegime
It's not really to do with "being clued up on this stuff", more that 99% of the car driving population would rather have a nicer interior than a shouty, fast, well engineered (and butt-ugly) car.

Which is odd as I find Audi interiors to be quite dreary! I do like what Merc are doing though.

As for my answer; mx-5.

Soldato
Corolla T-Sport. Chuck some springs and bracing into it and its a Cheap EP3 killer. (well, not quite 'killer') - Zero cheap tuning potential though. Well you might pick up 10HP with bolt ons.

Mazda 6 MPS is very overlooked too, nobody seems to mention them but whats not to like about a 250HP 2.3 turbo AWD manual saloon from circa '06, often with 80K~ miles, for under 5 grand? Easily tuned to over 300HP as well.

The T sport is as quick as a CTR, buts highly tuned out the factory, so there might be some potential to improve, bepends what you do.

But then that be why Toyota strapped a supercharger to them to make the faster top end model.

Caporegime
The T sport is as quick as a CTR, buts highly tuned out the factory, so there might be some potential to improve, bepends what you do.

But then that be why Toyota strapped a supercharger to them to make the faster top end model.

In a straight line it is, but not around corners. My first one was 100% stock (facelift) and was pretty awful handling and composure wise. Much less poised than the CTR, more roll, more understeer etc. My current one has 40MM lowering springs a solid front brace and it is much better than my old one but still not brilliant to be honest. It doesn't roll around but the understeer can be unpredictable and there isn't much steering feel.

Soldato
Yea, it only seems to be unpopular in Europe though. For some reason people here only seem to like dreary Audis on lease now. Cars with actual good engineering get overlooked because people aren't clued up about this stuff :/

I agree. In the US the STI is very highly regarded. They will walk past the much lauded RS to climb into a STI.

I think in the UK cheap lease deals and soft touch interiors trump what is a very capable car.

Soldato
In a straight line it is, but not around corners. My first one was 100% stock (facelift) and was pretty awful handling and composure wise. Much less poised than the CTR, more roll, more understeer etc. My current one has 40MM lowering springs a solid front brace and it is much better than my old one but still not brilliant to be honest. It doesn't roll around but the understeer can be unpredictable and there isn't much steering feel.

mine was an 02 plate, but i didnt find the handling that bad considering reviews state it wasnt as sporty to drive as it shouldve been and mine was completely stock, was too expensive to run to mod it lol, off public road i could take bends at 80 plus perfectly compared to other cars i had, okay i was very addicted to lift as ive never driven a car like it, so the speed/overtaking/sound was great fun even with a fully loaded car of flat pack furniture, but still fun on the handling side for me, i had mine for almost 2yrs, but idle control value problems, cooling problems, brake balance issues, exhaust tip falling off(seems common ive noticed lol) just cost too much so i had to sell it, mine wasnt the best of examples i found out shortly after buying it. did manage 350miles to a full tank of steady driving ha which i thought was good. it was good to have people think it was a basic corolla with alloys and a spoiler untill i hit lift, just a shame about the costs.

everyone has their own preference on what they think is a good fun car, ive had fun in a 1.8 125hp mondeo saloon, but ive had a mix batch, had an early 1.8 MGF, had a 01 fiesta zetec S that was puma powered and had upgraded suspension, those were fun cars, but when your like me who goes from a t sport to 2 x 1ltr cars to a 1.4hdi now my 1.6 pug you always manage to find that fun factor.

anyways, there are a lot of underrated cars out there, some probably shouldnt even be upgraded, like the metro gti or the renault 5 turbo, never got to own one, but they were great cars in their day and quicker/more fun than you wouldve thought, just like the nova.

Caporegime
mine was an 02 plate, but i didnt find the handling that bad considering reviews state it wasnt as sporty to drive as it shouldve been and mine was completely stock, was too expensive to run to mod it lol, off public road i could take bends at 80 plus perfectly compared to other cars i had, okay i was very addicted to lift as ive never driven a car like it, so the speed/overtaking/sound was great fun even with a fully loaded car of flat pack furniture, but still fun on the handling side for me, i had mine for almost 2yrs, but idle control value problems, cooling problems, brake balance issues, exhaust tip falling off(seems common ive noticed lol) just cost too much so i had to sell it, mine wasnt the best of examples i found out shortly after buying it. did manage 350miles to a full tank of steady driving ha which i thought was good. it was good to have people think it was a basic corolla with alloys and a spoiler untill i hit lift, just a shame about the costs.

Yeah the sleeperish aspect of it is good fun. Mine has been sitting at about 24MPG average for the past couple of months because despite having owned three cars with this engine now, I can't help myself... Driving around town etc its actually less economical than my 1990 325i Touring which is just ridiculous... :p

Handling wise perhaps its because I came from MX5's so the Corolla feels a bit worse than it is, but I'm pretty sure its still worse than an EP3 or a Renaultsport even with springs and a strut brace... I'm sure a proper set of coilovers would see it right though.

Soldato

Shares it's engine with the MK2 focus RS.... Very underrated.

Looks too twilighty though...

Caporegime
Well more accurately the Focus ST, the RS has a different turbo, manifold, etc.

Still a great engine but I wouldn't buy one without budgeting for the block sleeving mod.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
90's Saab 900..stock engine will see well north of 600bhp.
Stock internals? Wow that's impressive...
306 dturbo ;)
It's French tho...

That looks like another affordable little rocket, not many would expect it to have 300bhp. :p

Man of Honour
Mahoosive potential those turbo Volvo engines! Some variations of the T5 engine can approach 500HP on stock internals I think? The older 4 bangers can be pretty crazy too.

Obviously this isn't on stock internals but I love it... :D

fT1CoXvl.jpg

Think that was circa 190MPH...

Awful cars. I had one for a brief time as a loaner and thought it awful on almost all levels...and I am partial to an Ovlov too

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I've seen a 9-3 in Poland running 500bhp on LPG, it had some engine work done though. The 2.3T Saab engines are capable too, seen that lump in MX5 running well over 300 on stock internals.

youtu.be-3_NLw2_P8qiw_M_1.jpg

ZbEWhIR.jpg
OQLuZSl.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom