Undersealing

Suspended
I'm at a point on my project car where I will be refurbishing the undersealing shortly. Does anyone have much experience of doing this?

I am borrowing a schutz gun and compressor from a mate, and I have been told that there is a type of 3M rubberised underseal which is the absolute dogs danglies, but I cant find it anywhere for sale, not even online. Has anyone used it or know where to get it from?

Alternatively there are the Dinitrol products, any feedback on those?

Ta :)

Associate
Underseal is crap, what tends to happen the body starts to rot, yet you don't notice until a massive chunk of underseal comes off.

Stone chip and top coat then a really good spray of waxoyl. The combination of the paint is very tough and durable, the waxoyl resists water and road salt. You can also see any visible signs of corrosion. The waxoyl need renewing every year but it is good stuff..

Soldato
mr jamez said:
Underseal is crap, what tends to happen the body starts to rot, yet you don't notice until a massive chunk of underseal comes off.

Stone chip and top coat then a really good spray of waxoyl. The combination of the paint is very tough and durable, the waxoyl resists water and road salt. You can also see any visible signs of corrosion. The waxoyl need renewing every year but it is good stuff..

Having the experience of owning two classic cars, plus being in two clubs and chatting to other owners, I'm with you on that. If your car is not a modern, galvanised, plastic-coated, painted guaranteed rust proof machine, you need to see where rust is sneaking in. You don't want badly applied underseal to peel away from the body, trap water between itself and the steel and rot through without you ever knowing. Muchos expensive!

And make sure the waxoyl gets into all the nooks and crannys, and treat box sections and other areas by drilling holes, using one of those special hoses to fill the cavity, and then cap the hole off after.

Caporegime
Should be ok on a renault 19. Primer, paint and then something to absorb stone impacts like underseal with waxoyl

Associate
When i had my Lancia integrale,and RS 1800 fiesta i did the full works as regards to undersealing..Now to do it properly its a big big job!!!

I had all the body kits / bumpers and trim out/off the cars..I scraped all old underseal off (and found lots of surface rust where moisture had got trapped as said above!) then treated with rust treatment then sprayed with stone chip then painted then sprayed with waxoyl (did arches etc also)..I also did all the box sections with waxoyl (the interior stuff though) with a 70/30 white spirit mix to thin it down a little..Its definitly worth doing if you cherish your car but if your going to bother then do it properly.. :)

Suspended
OP
Thanks for the tips guys. I like to think I am doing a reasonably thorough job, I want a second 15 years out of the old girl!

carpetout.JPG

axlestandsmax.JPG

bay.JPG

Will look like this when I've finished (but with the standard alloys):

phase1.jpg

:D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom