1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Underwater camera SLR or not - maldives

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by oneilldo, 13 Apr 2010.

1. oneilldo

Wise Guy

I'm off to the maldives soon for my honeymoon and will be doing lots of snorkelling and scuba. I'm after an underwater camera. I currently have a canon 400D SLR, flash and lens - has anyone used an SLR cover
    The Ewa-marine U-AX is ~£225 on http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/ and is rated to a depth of 20m.

I'm a bit concerned though as it looks like a thick plastic bag and the pressure at 20m is a fair wack. If it fails then it will be costly (lens,camera and flash would add up to the best part of £1000)

Not interested in the cheap underwater ones and ideally I want a seperate flash/torch as i've found previous underwater shots fairly dark.

Would I be better off getting a dedicated underwater camera or a compact and case?
    Anyone got any recommendations/experience?

Thanks,

2. oneilldo

Wise Guy

Well I needed a new smaller camera so got the canon s90. I got an ikelite case, external flash/strobe and couldn't fault it. It cost a fair bit all in but I got some great pics. I'll put them up later this week if anyones interested.

3. Shimmy

Man of Honour

Yer that would be great thanks, I'm going on holiday in a little under 2 months to Australia and Malaysia and have been pondering about underwater camera options. Looking forward to the results.

4. The_Abyss

Capodecina

I think for underwater shots you're going to have to spend a fair bit on lighting before the quality of the camera comes into play.

5. Fel

Associate

6-7 years ago I dived with a pro motorsport photographer in Sharm who took a similar plastic bag housing down with him and 10 minutes later came up with a very soggy DSLR. Given the cost of DSLRs at the time he seemed to take it quite well :S

Maybe the technology has improved since, but I think you need to be very meticulous when sealing them - no sand or rogue hairs.

My temptation would be to go for compact with housing and external light source - that way it will be less of a chore to take it on every dive and you will be less worried about ruining the camera, lens and flash.

But speak to CamerasUnderwater - I think they are pretty much the experts and can tell you the pro's and cons.

I used to like taking my sony cybershot and housing (bought when returning from the Maldives) - i could fit it in my BCD pocket but this was at the expense of no external lighting. Camera died after lending to a mate - but I have kept the case because it did not feel right to throw it away.

Hope you enjoy the Maldives - we never saw the Mantas we went to see but we did manage to snorkel with a whale shark. Also had our best ever dive - just me and my wife being swept along a reef at night just us a the fish - brilliant.

6. Fel

Associate

... oh and i think i would need some very strong persuading to take my D90 down in one of those bags, but forking out £1,500 for a housing is just scary.

7. Youstolemyname

Soldato

You wont be able to get any decent shots at 20m without a strobe. I would spend the money on one of these 'adventure' cameras that are rated to a similar depth and shoot in the shallows.

I got some decent results with a rented fuji compact while in Dahab down to about 10m but after that it was just too blue. I also got some great results with a 30 quid compact from a supermarket while snorkelling.

I really wouldn't risk your SLR without serious protection.

8. The_blue

Mobster

Manual white balalance!

I use an old fuji f31 with external strobe. I can get good colours upto 25+ meters. Then the camera won't pickup the manual white.

Examples from last years trip.
    http://ccgi.theblue.plus.com/cpg1414/thumbnails.php?album=48

[​IMG]

On the plactic bag housing... Nah! 20 meters isn't massivly deep and i'd not risk mine at 3 bar pressure. A camera is a big air space inside.