Unhappy with my temps, overhaul needed

Soldato
I'm in need of a bit of help, I'm not happy with my setup, it's too hot and too noisy.

CPU: 5820K stock
Cooler: h100i gtx V2 (4 years old)
Case: nzxt h440
Case fans: 3*120 front, 1*140 rear (stock nzxt fans)

Recently I've noticed my temps going nuts, CPU getting up to 100 and shutting down my machine. I changed the paste to mx4 and it's not made much difference.

It's and to become my main rig and I'll be using it for 8 hours a day, and sitting right next to it is unbearable.

What should I do? Another aio? Go air (noctua)? Change my case fans?

Soldato
Case fans should be fine, is the AIO pump definitely running? Dust clogged rad? I'd identify where the noise is coming from, if PWM controlled adjust the fans accordingly.

Could either get another AIO or go air if it is indeed faulty, if its running correctly though it should not be reaching anywhere near 100 deg at stock.

Associate
Does the radiator and exhaust air also get warm when CPU is at 100C?
If radiator is cool, could be couple things. Water not circulating - pump failed, air bubble in tubes.
Poor contact is unlikely as you have reseated it.

Soldato
OP
I use icue to run the pump flat out (3000rpm), I've also set the cpu fan to 100% in the bios. Running the pump doesn't change the noise that noticeably. The biggest noise comes from the two fans on the rad, which I have on a custom curve, though recently I've had them flat out too. I did wonder whether the cpu temp is being read right, as usually the h100i temp sits at around 50-60 even under load. The 'package' value for the cpu will go into the 90s which I'm not happy about, this temp is also reported in the bios.

Soldato
OP
I just did a deep clean, and left the side, top and front off for a moment to run some tests:
Idle: 40C / Liquid: 36C
Cinebench: Average 59/37

Case back together:
Idle: 45 C / Liquid: 36C
Cinebench: 66/42

3.7GHz OC:
Idle: 47/39
Cinebench: 67/42

The iCue software reacts to the liquid temp and not the CPU temp, so it takes a while for the fans to catch up. Temps are better but I think this chip is just crap.

Just did a bit of gaming and both the CPU and liquid got to about 50C.

Last edited:
Permabanned
It looks to me like maybe there is a blockage/pump failure. The reason I say that is that the water temperature should pretty much remain static. Certainly if it is rising to 39 degrees then I would wonder why. Even 36 is high. Water coolers tend to fail slowly and I think this is perhaps what is happening here. At four years old as well, especially if you have had the pump on extreme all this time...

Soldato
OP
I'm thinking the same to be honest, my 90C blips may well be the pump not running at all. Often happens after a restart. The rig hasn't had a huge amount of use but it is old-ish. Time to dig out the warranty card and see if there's any left.

Soldato
OP
Booted up this morning and temps were mad. Shut down, checked BIOS (I'd removed the OC yesterday), changed nothing. Restarted. Temps fine. It's got to be the pump. I also removed the side of the case and felt the pipes, they were hot by the heatsink end and cool up at the rad.

Lmyl8l1.png
LyfIYz8.png

Permabanned
I agree. Looks to me like a pump or sludge issue. The water temperature sensor is in the head so if the water starts going up, the fans rev up bit it won't make any difference if the pump isn't working 100%, so the water temp just keeps on going up. You would be surprised, the water temperature doesn't need to go up too much to cause an issue with the cpu.

Soldato
You could be suffering the effects of permeation, which I had with my H100i. I had pretty much the same issues as you have, in the end I just had to get rid of it and get a new cooler.

Man of Honour
Associate
After 4 years i would say pump issue. Pushing 50c water temps under load is likely to be a pump failure, but then you say the cpu temp is the same which wouldn't be possible as the cpu should we a lot warmer then the water temp. the water temp should be no more than 42c under load. i got 42c with a 9900k with a friends 3 year old h100i in a build i did 3 weeks ago. Was your radiator above the pump/cpu block?

Soldato
OP
CPU now on an air cooler is sat at a nice 40C idle, with 4GHz OC. Got up to 70C in Cinebench. Unit on it's way back to Corsair.

After 4 years i would say pump issue. Pushing 50c water temps under load is likely to be a pump failure, but then you say the cpu temp is the same which wouldn't be possible as the cpu should we a lot warmer then the water temp. the water temp should be no more than 42c under load. i got 42c with a 9900k with a friends 3 year old h100i in a build i did 3 weeks ago. Was your radiator above the pump/cpu block?

Yeah rad was above pump/cpu.

Back
Top Bottom