Uni decision - stuck :(

Associate
This all depends what you want to get into later in life. Computer Science will do you well for going into systems development and im sure lots of other roles in that area. Computing & IT I imagine will also cover some softer skills and won't go as hardcore with regards to technical skills. The second being more aimed at people related jobs (Business analysis etc) & management.

Caporegime
dont beleive the hype that you will struggle to do computer science if you havent done a level maths.

A friend of mine who got into mechanical engineering hadnt done maths at A level, we were both in a foundation course at loughborough ( i had done a level maths) which was basically A level and a little further and he managed just fine, just gotta be prepared to work, and after all , theres plenty of help if you want it just got to ask for it if you get stuck!

Anyway dont let that put you off.

so if you hadn't done the foundation course (basically covering A-Level maths) do you not think you might have struggled a bit? Surely your post contradicts your first statement somewhat in that you probably do need A-level maths (or equivalent such as a foundation year) before embarking on something like a comp sci or mech eng degree.

Soldato
Computer Science is more logic based than pure math IMO. I've almost finished a 2 year Computer Science course (not Uni, mind...) and even people with Bs and Cs in GCSE maths have coped absolutely fine with the course material. Our teacher made out that maths was quite a big deal, but I personally haven't noticed anything that mathematical :/

Caporegime
Why's that?
Having A-Level maths shows you understand methodologies to a certain extent. As a programming guru once told me: it's easy for anyone to learn a [programming] language, it's just syntax; you have a harder time teaching someone methodology.

Same for any engineering/science degree really, if you ask me.

Soldato
What type of maths is actually covered in CS? I'm doing mechanical engineering, which is pretty maths heavy but not quite sure what stuff CS would require?

Soldato
If your maths is good then you'll have no problem with this course. They didn't put A-Level maths as a compulsory subject for a reason. Meaning students who didn't take maths at A-Level can still do well on this course. Also if you've had an insight into electronics then you'll have an idea of what they are talking about. As others have stated the uni's will help you raise your maths ability to the standard of others.

Soldato
The math in a 1st year comp sci degree is elementary.

Sheesh, they spent an hour explaining AND OR and NOT.

So that gives you a good year to brush up on your maths before you get to the 2nd year.

Depends where you go.

Any CompSci course that doesn't require A-Level maths would make me suspicious to be honest.

Associate
I wouldn't worry about maths at all unless you plan on getting onto the more advanced AI topics. My CS course had a compulsory maths module in the first year that covered everthing you'd need to know. I only did maths at GCSE and was fine.

Soldato
My brother didn't do maths a level but is doing comp science in Reading. He finds it tough, but is able to understand most of it, and with the bits he struggles with his tutors are very helpful. It's well over my head and I want to do a level maths if I don't get into ATC this year, even though I have a degree. I'd say go for the comp science route but get yourself ready for some tough, but satisfying work.

Soldato
I did a degree in Physics at Surrey and also did some of the business modules. The classes were mixed - pure business students plus chemists, physicists and, I assume, computing students.

I found the quality of the teaching in the physics department at Surrey to be outstanding but the business side of things, despite its top ranking in the Guardian, left a lot to be desired. The lecturers ranged from mediocre to dreadful and the assessment seemed very hit-and-miss. It didn't help that we were lumped in with the business students who needed a two hour lesson on how to use a calculator. :p

Still, it's good to see a CompSci course with the integrity to require maths at A Level. I enjoyed my time at Surrey.

Associate
What type of maths is actually covered in CS? I'm doing mechanical engineering, which is pretty maths heavy but not quite sure what stuff CS would require?

My first year had 2 compulsory modules involving maths, Vectors and Matrices which was pretty much a slightly extended A-Level Further Maths course according to friends doing the module with me (I only did basic A-Level maths), it covered pretty much exactly what it said on the tin and I found it fairly easy.

The other was Probability and Discrete Maths which I found much more difficult, only just managing to pass it! I did Statistics 1 at A-Level, the module started by covering this sort of thing and moving into much more in-depth material.

Now I'm second year, I don't think I have to do any more pure maths modules, but what I covered in those modules certainly has helped with material we have covered this year.

Associate
Just a heads up

I did a Biology degree University of Kent (Canterbury) I did'nt have a A Level in maths (just GCSE C grade) and did okay. Might be worth talking to whoever administers the course and finding out what level of maths is involved and whether there is additional help available. I think that they did offer help from the maths department on my course it was nearly 10 years ago now though.

If you really can't choose and you have not been to the campus yet I suggest you go to an open day and see which campus you feel at home in.

Soldato
Just a heads up

I did a Biology degree University of Kent (Canterbury) I did'nt have a A Level in maths (just GCSE C grade) and did okay. Might be worth talking to whoever administers the course and finding out what level of maths is involved and whether there is additional help available. I think that they did offer help from the maths department on my course it was nearly 10 years ago now though.

If you really can't choose and you have not been to the campus yet I suggest you go to an open day and see which campus you feel at home in.

A good computer science is basically an applied maths degree, it's completely dissimilar to a degree in biology in almost every way.

Soldato
OP
Just a heads up

I've been for interview at both and received offers at both. I was well reassured at Kent that my maths would be brought up to standard in the first year. Surrey on the other hand basically suggested I apply for Computing and Information Technology instead as I would probably struggle without A Level Maths on their CompSci course.

Soldato
Which ever uni has the higher girls:boys ratio.

Surrey > *

Seriously, it's awesome, sooo many hot girls...it seems that mostly hot people go to the uni from elsewhere and during none term times all the students with parents in Guildford are about and so it's full of them too, which are also hot. :D

As for the courses, I don't know much about Kent, although a friend of mine is doing his PhD there and the place sounds all right.

Surrey though...whilst being a great place to be, whilst I was there I only heard bad things about the Comp courses. Certainly when I went into the labs and offices in the Comp building the computers were a bit naff and I recall they only had Windows boxes which is utter fail. Kent have Unix and Linux ones as far as I'm aware which is much better.

Caporegime
I'm surprised any 'scientific' degree can be done without A-Level maths. That includes geography, all favours of engineering, computer science etc. A decent grasp of A-Level maths should be a pre-requisite for any kind of quantitative degree. I know many courses do accept people without it, but I don't think they should.

There's a lot of stuff in A-level maths which isn't used in a comp sci degree, unless you're writing some kind of physics simulation. So there's no reason to need a full A-level in maths as a foundation.

The lecturers simply take their time and explain the relevant math bits as they go along. It's not at all difficult. Especially in the first year, with was very math lite when I did it.

Back
Top Bottom