1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unlocking My DVD Drive To Region Free

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by Overslop, 9 Jan 2006.

1. Overslop

Mobster

Hi guys.

I was wondering how to unlock my NEC ND-4550a DVD drive in my PC. Some of my collection of DVDs are New Zealand discs and will not currently play in this drive. I assume it is legal to unlock, if not please notify me otherwise and close/delete this topic if you need to.

Can anyone help me out please?

2. YesPlease123

Banned

It is illegal unless you have a multi region DVD player.

3. Lord Pablo

Gangster

you have the option to change the region on your dvd rom.

you can change it 4 times iirc

4. Puppetmaster

Soldato

yep you can change it, i thought it was 3, u could always buy another cheap dvd drive n make it region 1 for us stuff?

5. pegasus1

Soldato

I bought a cheep DVD drive to play the DVDs i got from Iraq, most are coded multi region (the didcs that is) but some are region 1. I win either way, every episode of Futurama for $40 with perfect IQ in a proper box set, mmmmnnnn.

6. Dennisthemenace

Gangster

Download and run Region killer, it's a freebie that shorts out the region check.

I got a couple of region free Panasonics, i never knew they were illegal. You learn something new every day.

7. pegasus1

Soldato

Why would it be illigal, you can buy a region free DVD player from tesco's for less than £50.

8. Dennisthemenace

Gangster

sorry, i missread a post above yours, hell it is 6:30am.

9. toy_soldier

PermaBanned

Why do they have different region DVDs etc? And whats illegal about multi region etc if anything?

10. Andre

Mobster

Go Here and download the latest RPC1 firmware for your drive (preferably a Liggy and Dee one) - you won't be disappointed

11. marmalade

Wise Guy

Just get a copy of Slysoft's "AnyDVD" and it will sort out most anything you may want to do.

12. Pendu

Gangster

They make region locked so that they can make us pay more then the other countries do.

13. gib786

Banned

dvd x player is a great piece of software, lets you play any dvd and iirc it aint illegal

14. deadeyedic30

Wise Guy

If you are up to flashing the firmware do what Andre said. I got a modded firmware for my Pioneer 108 to lose the region lock and rip lock. Works like a charm, you will still need software to bypass windows region lock i think, such as dvd genie et al. If i remember correctly, or the software can bypass both.