1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Discussion in 'Motors' started by rossk26, 14 Feb 2013.

1. RSR

Sgarrista

I collected my car today and the different over the P-Zero's with the new PS4S is pure night and day, the tyres have also improved the ride quality of the car which I wasn't expecting. The car is now predictable in the wet and cold compared to sliding all over the place with the P-Zeros.

All in it was £1026.93 which was supplied and fitted by the OPC, so very impressive.

2. Havana_UK

Mobster

I don't suppose you got too thoroughly hosed by the OPC and at least it keeps your warranty properly intact...what were the sizes?

3. RSR

Sgarrista

No, not all all as they price matched for me.

It runs the following sizes:

235/35 R20 (N0)
    265/35 R20 (N0)

4. Havana_UK

Mobster

On my old E91 320d I had a set of Michelin Primacy RFT or whatever they were called and I got over 50k out of a set of those. The fronts still had 4mm tread on but had worn like 50p pieces...apparently a common problem with RFTs so the tyre place said. I was getting nasty vibrations through the steering wheel because of it.

5. Antony101

Mobster

I used to get 11,000 miles out of a set of front tyres when I had CSC5s on my 1.61.6 A3. The grip was wonderful in the wet but they do not last long.

6. crinkleshoes

Perma Banned

Most of the people I've seen complain about them appear to have FWD cars...

7. Antony101

Mobster

I've got them on my F11 as well but couldn't give a fair review of them because 3 of them have blown up on me.

8. hux

Mobster

Cheers, figured as much.
    Previous owner fitted some Prestivo tyres, lets just say they're far from the best, my little civic demands more.

Last edited: 3 Feb 2018
  9. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

How often do you check your tyre pressures?

10. Antony101

Mobster

At least once a week, they also get checked whenever there is a big change in temperature or before I go on a long drive.

All three had more than 6mm of tread on them when they went.

11. Sindri

Hitman

Compared to the current crop of high performance tyres they aren't that great, wear is pretty poor aswell when driven in a sporty manner too.

12. Howard

Capodecina

:D

I am soon going to be in need of two front tyres for my car. At the moment I have Conti SportContact 5s at the front. A few months ago I fitted PremiumContact 6 to the rear after reading that they were supposedly better than the SC5 and only slightly inferior to the SC6. On the rear of my car they are slightly quieter than the outgoing SC5s and I've had no reason to doubt their grip levels.

Should I just get another pair of PC6s for the front, or am I going to benefit largely from changing my allegiance after all these years and going for something like the PS4? Sadly neither the PS4S or the Conti SC6 are available in my size (235/40/18). After looking at some (proper) reviews, it seems like they're fairly evenly matched.

I've had no real complaints over the wear of the SC5s I've used throughout the years, although my current Mondeo seems to be harder on the front tyres than my old one. I do like to give it the beans when the opportunity arises, though.

13. Stringy

Mobster

I'll just leave this here: Toyo T1-R "Road/Track-day tyres" offer on HotUKDeals

Needless to say the internet cheap skate driving heroes were out in force to say how great these were. I tried to point out that £40 more would get you 4 Hankook V12 Evos but to no avail. Can't believe that the T1-R is still championed in this day and age...

Last edited: 5 Feb 2018
  14. Stringy

Mobster

edit: double post

Last edited: 5 Feb 2018
  15. crinkleshoes

Perma Banned

They're great on MK1 MX5s :)

16. Sprackers

Associate

Hi

Apologies didnt know about links.

I have two excellent condition Vintage Original Michelin Winter studded tyres for sale plus Original Michelin Inner tubes too.

I bought them second hand last year but never used them.

Im working on a new project on my Renault 4 (clutch) so i need to invest in that now.

Any interest out there?

Regards

Sprackers

17. smilertoo

Mobster

I just got 4 michelin crossclimates for a honda jazz, my nephew thinks im mad.

18. hux

Mobster

I had four of these on my little c3, good solid and dependable, compound is a bit soft but they're very predictable.

A good safe tyre.

Got my PS4's fitted, not sure what to make of them, they actually feel looser, turn in is incredible compared to my Prestivo tyres, and rightly so.

It's the loose feeling that has me a bit spooked, I'm sure they'll grip far beyond than I expect, I just need them to scrub in.

It's probably down to them having a hard compound, went with the 94 index tyre, as that seemed to get the higher ratings, but despite that the car is better going over the bumps.

19. MoRT489

Soldato

One of my Potenza run flats popped with an almighty *bang* this morning it sounded like an anvil landed on the trunk! How many miles can I safely drive on a flat at 30mph? I can’t get any pressure into it. Reason I ask is I’m waiting on a set of Eagle F1 AS3 to arrive to replace it - expected Friday.

20. Simon

Capodecina

New tyres and cold. Need to scrub in

Are the pressures correct too ?