**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Caporegime
Well... I also put it down to myself too being at fault.

I had a newish Golf R very close up behind, he was urging me to pick up the pace a little down the country roads. So I decided to have a little play.

I put my foot down, and being a FWD car with around 310+ BHP my car decided it didn't really want to do as it was told. Especially as I had just come onto a damp curve.

Cue the car torque steering and my slight over correction, leading to a snake like two and fro down the road as the back end also decided it didn't want to stay put.

For me personally, it was a really scary moment, I actually thought I was going to end up going off road and loosing my car.

I really think it was down to the tyres, not being able to handle the power and then not being able to deal with the corrections I was attempting.

So a bit of both, driver issue and tyre.

All I can do, is get try and fix this.. and first is to move the rainsports to the rear and get some better tyres (PS4) for the front.

Last time I try and play with a 4wd who's up my bum lol

A Golf R did the same to me today, but i didn't play his game and he overtook me, then was just ahead of me for the next 10 miles stuck behind 7 cars in front in twisty country road with no place to overtake.

He clearly isn't around here….was a pointless to overtake.

Anyway, I did notice it has 4 exhausts but 2 of them looked fake? is that right?

Sgarrista
Commissario
I should receive my R888Rs later today. Anyone given these a try?

They'll be alright (read, very good) in the dry. In the wet/damp/cold theyre a frikkin deathtrap.

After a Really scary moment the other day I have lost all faith in Rainsports...

Seen lots of stuff about Pilot sport 4s and can get them for £94 each from camskill.

Worth it?

No comparison. The PS4S will be miles ahead.

Don
All I can do, is get try and fix this.. and first is to move the rainsports to the rear and get some better tyres (PS4) for the front.

Best tyres need to go on the rear otherwise you will be increasing the risk of oversteer.

Replace all 4 tyres and be done with it - if you can't afford to then you shouldn't own a performance car (and certainly shouldn't have added more power to it).

Also if you want to drive like a loon beyond your skill level, then go to a track rather than doing it on public roads - at least you'll only hurt yourself not anyone else.

Soldato
Best tyres need to go on the rear otherwise you will be increasing the risk of oversteer.

Replace all 4 tyres and be done with it - if you can't afford to then you shouldn't own a performance car (and certainly shouldn't have added more power to it).

Also if you want to drive like a loon beyond your skill level, then go to a track rather than doing it on public roads - at least you'll only hurt yourself not anyone else.

Woah there nelly.

Wasn't driving like a loon, I didn't even go higher than the speed limit! Just accelerated in the wrong place.

Just done some reading about tyre position. Yea, new on the rear.

Also I can quite easily afford all 4, but considering my two front rainsports are pretty new... They can go on the back.

Last edited:
Don
Also I can quite easily afford all 4, but considering my two front rainsports are pretty new... They can go on the back.

Doesn't matter whether they are new or not - tyres with best grip go on the rear, to minimize chance of oversteer (which no disrespect but your apparent driving skill is not going to save it with a dab of oppo lock).

Likely you'll ignore advice from anyone here though.

Man of Honour
Hoping for some quick advice before purchasing on Blackcirles... Buying a full set of tyres for my CRV, and have got it down to these:

Uniroyal RainExpert 3 SUV
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season
Continental Conti4x4Contact

All much of a muchness, or is their a superior choice between them?

I got the Pirelli SV AS on the wifes Q3 before going to the alps and they were great on the motorways down there in the mixture of weather conditions, and worked flawlessly in the 2-3 inches of snow we had on the roads in the mountains. They were a good price as well. Considering the car came with the non all season version it was a no brainer, but I was pleased with how they performed

Soldato
I got the Pirelli SV AS on the wifes Q3 before going to the alps and they were great on the motorways down there in the mixture of weather conditions, and worked flawlessly in the 2-3 inches of snow we had on the roads in the mountains. They were a good price as well. Considering the car came with the non all season version it was a no brainer, but I was pleased with how they performed

Good to hear! Went with those in the end

Associate
New set of PS4 installed on Saturday, and despite only having driven 30 miles on them yet they're leagues ahead of the P-Zeros that came off. Can only imagine them getting better for the next few hundred miles as they scrub in.

On another note, I'm hoping to find a competent tyre fitters one day. This one took a chip of paint out of one wheel and pumped all 4 tyres up 6-8psi above recommended specs. Fortunately I have my wheels booked in for a refurb this coming week anyway so the paint I don't care about, but the pressures made the ride unbearable.

This from a tyre shop with 80+ reviews on Google and an average of 4.9 stars...

mjt

mjt

Soldato
New set of PS4 installed on Saturday, and despite only having driven 30 miles on them yet they're leagues ahead of the P-Zeros that came off. Can only imagine them getting better for the next few hundred miles as they scrub in.
P-Zeros are the new P6000s :p

Associate
P-Zeros are the new P6000s :p

From what I've read the recent ones are good, but the previous design was very old and substandard against any recent competition. Dry grip was fine but it just loved spinning up the rears in the wet. The Michelins feel like they won't let go no matter what I do.

Oh, and it had Pirelli P7s on the front. They were even worse!

Soldato
Doesn't matter whether they are new or not - tyres with best grip go on the rear, to minimize chance of oversteer (which no disrespect but your apparent driving skill is not going to save it with a dab of oppo lock).

Likely you'll ignore advice from anyone here though.
Bit harsh.

Booked in to get new ones on the rear!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
From what I've read the recent ones are good, but the previous design was very old and substandard against any recent competition. Dry grip was fine but it just loved spinning up the rears in the wet. The Michelins feel like they won't let go no matter what I do.
Oh, and it had Pirelli P7s on the front. They were even worse!
Really? I had P7s on my S90 and it wouldn't do a burnout when I put them on :(

Soldato
Have an E39 530D Touring and tyres need doing. Have had Uniroyal Rainsport 3 before and they were fine all year round. Any other tyres to consider? 235/45/17 on Style 66 wheels if it makes a difference?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Have an E39 530D Touring and tyres need doing. Have had Uniroyal Rainsport 3 before and they were fine all year round. Any other tyres to consider? 235/45/17 on Style 66 wheels if it makes a difference?
Goodyear F1, ContiSportContact, Michelin Pilot/SuperSports...

Soldato
Does anyone have experience of the ContiSportContact 5P? It's one of the OEM fit tyres on the F80 M3 (I have them on mine) and I really don't like them compared to the MPSS I had before on the M135i.

Maybe it's the increased power/torque and the way it's delivered in the M3 vs. the M135i, but I feel much less confident with the Contis vs the Michelins. They seem fidgety, prone to tram-lining (possibly due to them being wide) and very sensitive to a change in surface, especially in the wet. I never felt any of this with the MPSS.

Soldato
A Golf R did the same to me today, but i didn't play his game and he overtook me, then was just ahead of me for the next 10 miles stuck behind 7 cars in front in twisty country road with no place to overtake.

He clearly isn't around here….was a pointless to overtake.

Anyway, I did notice it has 4 exhausts but 2 of them looked fake? is that right?

The hatch has switchable outlets, so two are used all the time and the other two only open when going for it. The Mk7 estate only uses two, so the others are for show, but the Mk7.5 has the same switchable outlets as the hatch.

Back
Top Bottom