**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
So I'm after some tyres for the st. 225 40 18.

Don't want the best but don't want to compromise on grip either. What's a good midrange tyre? I do not want Rainsport 3s.

Soldato
I am in need of 4X tyres for my subaru.

I was VERY close to buying Rainsport 3s (The car will never see track - does get 'spirited' driving sometimes) however reading online i have heard these wear out really quickly and have a soft sidewall.

I am now looking at AD08Rs but i am wondering if they are going to be overkill?

Any other recommendations?

Modded WRX isn't it Liam? 225/45/17?

I really like the Eagle F1 AS3s I have on my Impreza, they seem much better than the AS2 I had before. They seem to be wearing very well too. In the 5k miles I've had them on, including a couple of Curborough days (apart from the one I ruined due to bad setup) they haven't even lost 1mm of tread yet.

Soldato
Got a bulge in one of my front tyres... is it worth replacing the pair? It's a Merc so the tyres are staggered sizes otherwise I'd put new on the rear. PS4s are £109 in 225 40R18 so they're a no brainer.

Current treads are 6mm front both sides, 4mm nsr and 5mm osr so I'll probably get the rears done sooner rather than later too as the current Pirellis on it aren't great (P7s front and P Zeros rear). 255 35R18s though :( so £148 a corner for the PS4s.

Might have to just replace the single tyre with a new Pirelli since the car is at the stealers and it's not really safe to drive on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got a bulge in one of my front tyres... is it worth replacing the pair? It's a Merc so the tyres are staggered sizes otherwise I'd put new on the rear. PS4s are £109 in 225 40R18 so they're a no brainer.

Current treads are 6mm front both sides, 4mm nsr and 5mm osr so I'll probably get the rears done sooner rather than later too as the current Pirellis on it aren't great (P7s front and P Zeros rear). 255 35R18s though :( so £148 a corner for the PS4s.

Might have to just replace the single tyre with a new Pirelli since the car is at the stealers and it's not really safe to drive on.

Not having a cheap month are you? :o

Soldato
Hah! Nope, but I guess it's all worthwhile to bring the car up to scratch so I can enjoy it for a few years. Tempted to get them to replace both fronts with P Zeros so at least I've the same all round.

Could you get away with replacing just the one tyre, like for like then replacing the lot at the same time in the future? I'd rather do that. I don't think people rate the P Zeros highly on here, never used them myself personally.

Soldato
Just replace the fronts with PS4's. Should get a few quid back for the second Pirelli on ebay or something to soften the blow a little. 6mm left on a decently branded tyre should see you around £40-50 or something, so almost halfway towards the "extra" PS4.

Then change the rears when you feel it necessary / have the funds in place.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Howdy all,

I am new to the world of run flats, but I do know that the Goodyear excellnce are anything but!!! 3 tyres already replaced (2 popped, 1 buldged) and my two new fronts already have massive buldges!!! Grr!

So I wish to change, however I don't know what to. I thought they did eagle F1s in RF but I can' find my size.

Any recommndations?

245/40/19 runflats please :)

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Thanks as always Fox.

I was using AA tyres (event tyres) for the discount and convenience but they did not show F1s available. Checking BlackCircles I have found the asym 3s so thank you.

Runflats because of the convenience and ease of being able to continue driving, which previously was never an issue but with a little one and this being the family wagon I feel they're a price worth paying.

Soldato
Could you get away with replacing just the one tyre, like for like then replacing the lot at the same time in the future? I'd rather do that. I don't think people rate the P Zeros highly on here, never used them myself personally.

I could, but Mercedes want £140 odd for either P Zeros or P7s (apparently there's only £1 difference between them) or £179 a corner for PS4s. I'm tempted to book it in at my local Merityre within walking distance from work during next week and just get all four changed to PS4s or at least the two front for now. I've just had a look back at the pictures in the original ad when I bought the car at the start of Feb and can see now the bulge they're talking about... which they didn't spot when they MOT'd it. It's not very big and I've obviously driven a few hundred miles with it since I hadn't noticed it either. Do you guys reckon I'd be safe to drive it 10 miles to work and back until Wednesday (that's the earliest I can get booked in anywhere local)?

Knowing my luck lately I'd have a blow out as I was leaving the Mercedes garage... speaking of which I'm still waiting to hear back which tyres they actually have in stock and now they're closed so they're clearly in no hurry for me to come and pay my bills whilst I put miles on their brand new c220d.

Man of Honour
I am out of touch. What are the current versions of the Michelin Pilot Supersport range as there seems to be a few options? I like them as a tyre, I have the previous generation Pilot Supersprot on the R8 and probably need some new boots shortly.

Caporegime
I want some good performance tyres for my Corolla for the front wheels... I have a pair of Michelin Energy Saver's on the back which I'm happy to leave there, but there is a slight issue in as much as that there don't seem to be ANY good performance tyres in my size that I can see, 195:55:16 :(

I could get some 205:50:16's, but then I would either have different tyre sizes front to back, or I would have to change all four and get rid of two perfectly good (and not cheap) tyres...

Are there any 195:55:16's which are soft compound and actually good for dry road bashing?

Back
Top Bottom