**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

mjt

mjt

Soldato
It's just something I understood, you have to let them know if the tyre rating changes
I really wouldn't have thought so. Do you notify them every time you buy new tyres? A Wangli/Sunwind/Nankang with a W/ZR rating will be more dangerous than a Michelin on an H!

Soldato
Massive thread, CBA to read.

I blew a tyre on a pot hole yesterday but it was about time a replaced both fronts anyway.

Volvo V50 T5 FWD. Half motorway and half country lane commute. 13k+ miles a year. I want grippy and long lasting.

What is the go to tyre these days? Pilot sport 2?

Soldato
Massive thread, CBA to read.

I blew a tyre on a pot hole yesterday but it was about time a replaced both fronts anyway.

Volvo V50 T5 FWD. Half motorway and half country lane commute. 13k+ miles a year. I want grippy and long lasting.

What is the go to tyre these days? Pilot sport 2?
Pilot sport 4

Soldato
is there really any need for that on a v50?

advan 105s, uniroyal rs3, eagle f1s etc..

Yes. Hard wearing is what he wants. As said above, the likes of rainsport3's will be done in around 10k if your lucky. PS4's might last 2 or 3 times that. They are not 2 or 3 times more expensive than RS3's, so it's a no brainer with that comparison.

I haven't, personally, found anything concrete about how well the F1 AS3's wear. I need 19's for my new wheels for my A4, but I think PS4S is a bit too far for this car in reality. PS4's would likely just be bought if they were available in my required size. They are not though. I am tempted to go for the F1's, but the reviews I have read put their longevity anywhere from 10k to 15k. I'd expect the PS4S's to do significantly better, but would have hoped for at least 20k out of F1's after my last experience with Goodyears (Excellence RFT's which lasted 44k+).

I have, personally, had good experience with Vredstein tyres. I ran a set on my mapped 335d, and after 16k the rears still had 5mm on them, and the fronts 5.5mm. So I am tempted to try the Vorti's as they have some decent enough reviews about them. But nothing concrete on wear rates. But they are only £100 a corner (plus a £40 gift card when buying 4 from Camskill), rather than £160 a corner for PS4S's. So a significant price difference on the set. But then again, if the PS4S's last twice as long, they are not twice as expensive, so still cheaper in the long run. But I just can't shake the feeling that the PS4S would be overkill since its an "80% trackday" tyre, in a lazy, auto, V6. Just completely unnecessary.

Man of Honour
doubt it, grippy tyres are usually softer and wear quicker.

Oddly from my experience not always the case.

I wore a pair of Rain sport 3 in about 5k road miles on a stock MX5, the replacement AD08Rs did 7k miles with between 200-300bhp, a sprint day at curborough and 20 drag strip passes with the associated burnouts

Soldato
PS4S is NOT an 80% track day tyre. It’s an 80% road tyre. You’re getting confused with the Sport Cup 2

Not at all. That's what it says on the official Michelin guff in Costco. PS4 80% Road, 20% tack. PS4S 80% track, 20% Road. Pretty sure that's where I saw it.

So 8k miles from a set?

I got 30k out of Michelin PSS!!! RS3 would have to be less than a third of the price and at least as good to make that worthwhile!

I don't think RS3's are "at least as good" as PSS's.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Running Pilot Super Sports when not on winters on my A6 (probably overkill for a 2.0 TDI) but they are wearing extremely well so I'm happy with the extra outlay over a CS5/F1A2 or whatever was out at the time.

Associate
Torn between the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3 or Michelin Pilot Sport 4. Going on an Octavia VRS covering 16k p/a mostly motorway mileage. Leaning towards the Goodyear's as they are supposedly quiet with low rolling resistance but the Pilot Sports have recently dropped closer in price. Anyone had direct experience of both these tyres?

Soldato
I am soon going to be in need of two front tyres for my car. At the moment I have Conti SportContact 5s at the front. A few months ago I fitted PremiumContact 6 to the rear after reading that they were supposedly better than the SC5 and only slightly inferior to the SC6. On the rear of my car they are slightly quieter than the outgoing SC5s and I've had no reason to doubt their grip levels.

Should I just get another pair of PC6s for the front, or am I going to benefit largely from changing my allegiance after all these years and going for something like the PS4? Sadly neither the PS4S or the Conti SC6 are available in my size (235/40/18). After looking at some (proper) reviews, it seems like they're fairly evenly matched.

I've had no real complaints over the wear of the SC5s I've used throughout the years, although my current Mondeo seems to be harder on the front tyres than my old one. I do like to give it the beans when the opportunity arises, though.

Anyone?

Back
Top Bottom