1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Discussion in 'Motors' started by rossk26, 14 Feb 2013.

1. arfoll

Wise Guy

good deal for anyone with a mazda 3 MPS...

2. GinG

Soldato

I am needing 2 new tyres on the Superb.

Currently have Contisportcontact 5, checking on national I have options of:

Contisport
    Dunlop Sportmaxx RT2
    Goodyear Eagle F1
    Pirelli P Zero / Nero

Which would you choose?

Scrap the above, checked on black circle and a garage just around the corner fit for them so have options of:

2x Contact 5 @ £210.40 fitted (not sure if I am a fan of these)
    2x Eagle F1 @ £188.48 fitted
    2x Pilot Sport 4 @ £198.36 fitted
    2x Sportmaxx @ £179 fitted

Plan would be to change the rears to whatever the front gets changed to.

Thanks!

Last edited: 29 Mar 2018
  3. Invertigo

Wise Guy

Personal choice of the above would be PS4, but I doubt you'd go wrong with any. The PS4 seems to have class leading grip characteristics while still being one of the longest lasting.

Conti at that price would be straight out of the running though, they're good but don't last.

4. crinkleshoes

Perma Banned

PS4

5. tamzzy

Capodecina

so having bought a set of four PS4S during the christmas period, I've finally fitted it on my 4er this week.
    £600 for 2x 225/40/19 (front) and 2x 255/35/19 (rear), and £10 for fitting and balancing per wheel - total outlay £640. pretty decent pricing for what is arguably (one of) the best UHP tyres today.
    light driving around town during the week, and took it out for a spin on the M6 tonight in the pouring rain (brum to nuneaton)
    wet handling was a delight in comparison to the potenza s001 RFTs i had on. loads of puddles on the motorway and car never felt like it was going to lose grip or aquaplane even at 70mph.
    definitely felt more confident in turns/grip too
    hit a particularly big puddle at one point and startled me a bit, but my friend in the passenger seat said she didn't feel the car veer at all :D
    and it isn't new vs old either - as my potenzas had between 4-6mm tread on them left before the swap

6. mjt

Capodecina

PS4. Will definitely last longer than the CS5, and they're cheaper! Win/win.

Michelin are producing some fantastic tyres at the moment.

7. ahenners

Wise Guy

I haven't been disappointed with Conti CS5 longevity, despite many complaining they don't last well. Mine have been on for about 2 years and have covered just over 25k on a 220ps FWD. Still have 2.5-3mm left.

I'll be replacing with the Michelin PS4 soon as their price has been creeping down and they seem very well rated all round.

8. "andy"

Capodecina

ATS euromaster are doing free fitting on Michelin's at the moment and aren't bad price wise.

Very impressed with my pilot sport 4

9. Diagro

Sgarrista

Already got them :)

10. mjt

Capodecina

Just how bad are Bridgestone Turanzas?

Looking at getting some summer wheels/tyres for the Golf and there are loads of brand new sets out there as they're standard fit on 17" and 18" GTIs.
    Reviews seem awful, so wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience compared to PS4/CS5s.

11. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

The Mini has a slow puncture and it turns out that its leaking around the valve. Just trying to understand the best way to sort this - it has TPMS sensors in the valves. Do the sensors come with a valve or do I need a valve without a sensor or what? :D

It seems actually you can just buy the valves and they are exceptionally cheap. Is this all I need?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Genuine-BM...m=222908037389&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

At that price it almost seems worth having a new valve fitted every time you get tyres? They tend to tarnish and look crap after a year or so. Whats the catch here?

Last edited: 7 Apr 2018
  12. Sindri

Hitman

Whenever i have had my tyres replaced they always change the valves. Presumed this was normal practice?

13. kindai

Soldato

Depends on the setup. The TPMS and valves come as an integrated unit on my car so they obviously dont replace them (at 50 quid a pop :eek: )

14. Sindri

Hitman

Ah fair enough. Seems odd though that if they can be replaced on Fox's that they neglected to do it in the past.

15. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

You don't get replacement valves if you have tpms. They are metal.

16. GinG

Soldato

Seem to be having some delivery problems so switched to the Goodyear Eagle F1's being fitted tomorrow.

17. wedrum

Soldato

I have the eagle f1 they are fantastic

18. GinG

Soldato

Done around 300 miles with the F1's and so far happy with the decision although slightly forced due to the delivery issues on the PS4's.

They seem much better than the conti in the wet.

19. scaza

Hitman

205/45/16 track tyres.

I've ruined my road tyres being overly zealous. Big cracks all around the circumference so I've got to replace them. I'm not making the same mistake again and ruining my next set (Going for PS4's) and I've a spare set of wheels lying around.

I can find AD08r's for £400 a set and Federal RSR's for £300.

Opinions?

Last edited: 17 Apr 2018
  20. On Holiday

Soldato

I've had both, though not put in track time on AD08R's yet.
    I've found AD08Rs to be far better on road for grip, especially so in the wet.

The extra £100 would be worth in my opinion.