**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Hi guys, currently need some tyre advice. I've been borrowing my mum and dads 54 plate a140 (yes it's pretty sure). However I noticed the rear tyres are cracked and are 10 years old so I'm going to replace them. I release it's not in any way sporty, but what the best tyres for this. I'll check exact sizes when I nip out at lunchtime, but I think they're something like 195/50/15's. Any advice welcome. To me best is grip rather than economy, no ling longs please:p.

Don
Hi guys, currently need some tyre advice. I've been borrowing my mum and dads 54 plate a140 (yes it's pretty sure). However I noticed the rear tyres are cracked and are 10 years old so I'm going to replace them. I release it's not in any way sporty, but what the best tyres for this. I'll check exact sizes when I nip out at lunchtime, but I think they're something like 195/50/15's. Any advice welcome. To me best is grip rather than economy, no ling longs please:p.

In that sort of size (although a quick google suggests 185/55R15) best options are going to be along the lines of Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance, Dunlop Sport BluResponse or Michelin Energy Saver+. ~£75/each fitted via Blackcircles

Soldato
Assuming a similar size to the above our fiesta has always had Hankooks on 195/45/16's and they've performed well too. Any of them should be a good tyre

Soldato
In that sort of size (although a quick google suggests 185/55R15) best options are going to be along the lines of Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance, Dunlop Sport BluResponse or Michelin Energy Saver+. ~£75/each fitted via Blackcircles
I think that 195/50 has the same rolling radius as a 185/55 (or very close) as when i had a look on Michelins site it mentioned both.

Soldato
Need some new rears currently got avons on the rear as the fronts needed replacing last summer which has eagle assymetric 3s on.

Tyre size is 205/40 R17

any better recommendations than the goodyears ive got on the fronts atm? Im gutted they don't do PS4's in my size as everyone seems to rave about them only other semi decent tyre I know in my size is continental contisport contact 5s

Man of Honour
Need some new rears currently got avons on the rear as the fronts needed replacing last summer which has eagle assymetric 3s on.

Tyre size is 205/40 R17

any better recommendations than the goodyears ive got on the fronts atm? Im gutted they don't do PS4's in my size as everyone seems to rave about them only other semi decent tyre I know in my size is continental contisport contact 5s
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Search/Size/205-40-17/Class/Premium/Order/Rating

tyrereviews suggest conti premium contact 6 is available in your size

Man of Honour
Are they significantly better than eagle 3’s? Enough so it worth to keep different tyres on different axels?

Personally, i'm not sure. The 17inch tyre shootouts/tests on tyrereviews seem to suggest the PC6 is better than the AS3 though.

I've only driven on SC2 SSR, AS2, Potenza S001 and PS4S so I can only give personal opinions on these.

Soldato
Which is best for grip (i normally compare the rain value as thats something that can be compared).

Don
Which is best for grip (i normally compare the rain value as thats something that can be compared).

I've got Efficientgrip Performance on my Zafira, and Sport Bluresponse on my Focus, and not noticed a huge amount of difference (The sidewalls are noticeable softer on the Goodyears but that's all). I went for the Dunlops on my Focus as they supposed to be a much newer design.

Not had those Michelin's but had the older Primacys which were great for longevity and not noticeably worse than the Dunlops.

Continental Premium Contact 5 are likely another option in this size, but I've also had those, and they didn't seem any grippier but lasted far worse in terms of wear.

Man of Honour
I'm looking at tyre choices for a 2016 Focus ST TDCi. I'll be doing around 400 miles a week over mainly country roads. I've been looking at Uniroyal Rainsports for it, anyone tried them with such mileage? Are they overly soft in the summer? I prefer a stiffer sidewall usually. I would go for Pilot Sport 4 but they appear to be around £50 a corner more expensive which ramps up the overall cost. Unfortunately the car while it's coming from a dealer, they've stuck on 3 budget tyres as I presume the old ones were below the limit. I don't think I'll have any bargaining power.

Soldato
I'm looking at tyre choices for a 2016 Focus ST TDCi. I'll be doing around 400 miles a week over mainly country roads. I've been looking at Uniroyal Rainsports for it, anyone tried them with such mileage? Are they overly soft in the summer? I prefer a stiffer sidewall usually. I would go for Pilot Sport 4 but they appear to be around £50 a corner more expensive which ramps up the overall cost. Unfortunately the car while it's coming from a dealer, they've stuck on 3 budget tyres as I presume the old ones were below the limit. I don't think I'll have any bargaining power.

The PS4s wear well and the £50 extra will likely be made back over the Rainsports which wear quickly. The PS4s should last around twice as many miles.

Man of Honour
The PS4s wear well and the £50 extra will likely be made back over the Rainsports which wear quickly. The PS4s should last around twice as many miles.
That's what I was thinking. I'm going to give the budgets a go first, they didn't feel too bad on the test drive but then again it was only a 20 minute drive so it's difficult to gauge. If they're terrible I'll just do an axle at a time.

Back
Top Bottom