**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
I'm looking at tyre choices for a 2016 Focus ST TDCi. I'll be doing around 400 miles a week over mainly country roads. I've been looking at Uniroyal Rainsports for it, anyone tried them with such mileage? Are they overly soft in the summer? I prefer a stiffer sidewall usually. I would go for Pilot Sport 4 but they appear to be around £50 a corner more expensive which ramps up the overall cost. Unfortunately the car while it's coming from a dealer, they've stuck on 3 budget tyres as I presume the old ones were below the limit. I don't think I'll have any bargaining power.

If you have not bought it yet, then you do have bargaining power surely? I wouldn't be wanting to replace tyres on a dealer bought car as soon as I got it. They will get the tyres much cheaper than you could, but if I was buying from a dealer, I'd be insisting on non-budgets. If they have fitted budgets already, then tough on them.

Man of Honour
If you have not bought it yet, then you do have bargaining power surely? I wouldn't be wanting to replace tyres on a dealer bought car as soon as I got it. They will get the tyres much cheaper than you could, but if I was buying from a dealer, I'd be insisting on non-budgets. If they have fitted budgets already, then tough on them.
Just called, they're going to go through some options tomorrow. The business manager said the least they can do is allow me to have them replaced at cost, I'm going to try and push for them providing me with two and I pay for the other two. Will have to see what the prices are as Black Circles are doing £40 off on PS4 at the moment.

Man of Honour
Just ordered 4 x MPS4's for the R8, fitting next week. Fronts are shot, lots of wondering last 2 weeks on cambers which is the tell tale the tyres are shot.

Soldato
Just a heads up, tyresonthedrive.com have an Amazon promotion on throughout April and May on Goodyear tyres. I've just purchased 2 Eagle F1's for £170 fitted and bagged myself a £20 Amazon gift voucher in the process! Details here - link

Man of Honour
Sitting in Dunelm Stafford having bacons and coffee whilst my R8 has 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s fitted. Living the dream!

27995535768_1d0f1ed36c_h.jpg

Old tyres had loads of tread left on them, but think the heat cycles I have put through them have done them no favours. These feel great, really nice feel and seem quieter too. Will need miles to get the mould mess of them, but so far so good. Went for 305 on the rears this time around, Audi offers 295/305 as an option so went larger this time around.

£916 for all 4 fitted which is a great price for the tyre/car/size I feel.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you guys heard of Vredestein Ultrac Cento Tyres? Are they any good? The guy I get my tyres from recommended them.

I have a BMW 120D coupe.

Caporegime
Sitting in Dunelm Stafford having bacons and coffee whilst my R8 has 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s fitted. Living the dream!

Old tyres had loads of tread left on them, but think the heat cycles I have put through them have done them no favours. These feel great, really nice feel and seem quieter too. Will need miles to get the mould mess of them, but so far so good. Went for 305 on the rears this time around, Audi offers 295/305 as an option so went larger this time around.

Surprised at that. thought it would be well over £1k

Man of Honour

27995535768_1d0f1ed36c_h.jpg

Only two tyres? Guess I've found Fernando Alonso's forum account ;) ;)

alx

alx

Soldato
Anyone have any experience of Goodyear Eagle F1 A3 tyres with run flat sidewalls? For my size (275/30 R20) F1 A3s are only available as run flat option, but not sure if they're going to be bone hard? Didn't like the run flats on my old BMW Z4.

Associate
Looking for some tyre advice.

At the moment, I have Michelin energy savers 195/55/R16 fitted allround (came with the car). I find these tyres lacking in grip when driving a bit spirited.

I was looking at Michelin pilot sport 4 205/55/R16. Would these fit ok? And am I best replacing all 4, even though the rears have little wear? Or just replace the fronts for now?

Caporegime
Anyone used Vredestein Ultrac Vortis before? Any feedback?

Not those particular ones but I've had Sportrac 5's before on my MX5 and they were excellent. I think Vredestein are generally unfairly overlooked. The Ultrac Satin's are supposedly very good.

Not sure on the Vorti's! User reviews are very good though.

Don
Looking for some tyre advice.

At the moment, I have Michelin energy savers 195/55/R16 fitted allround (came with the car). I find these tyres lacking in grip when driving a bit spirited.

I was looking at Michelin pilot sport 4 205/55/R16. Would these fit ok? And am I best replacing all 4, even though the rears have little wear? Or just replace the fronts for now?

Yes they should fit fine (as you can generally go up or down 1 width on most rims), your speedo will underread slightly though (1.74%)
https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...2=55&wheel_size=16&wheel_width=6-5&offset2=40

You should replace all 4 due to them being different widths and a considerably better tyre (If you do *have* to mix tyres at any point, then it's advised that you put the pair with the best grip at the rear, in order to minimize the chance of oversteer)

It is a worthwhile choice in this case though to change tyre size, as the PS4 should be a much better tyre (that's likely not available in the other size).

Associate
Yes they should fit fine (as you can generally go up or down 1 width on most rims), your speedo will underread slightly though (1.74%)
https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...2=55&wheel_size=16&wheel_width=6-5&offset2=40

You should replace all 4 due to them being different widths and a considerably better tyre (If you do *have* to mix tyres at any point, then it's advised that you put the pair with the best grip at the rear, in order to minimize the chance of oversteer)

It is a worthwhile choice in this case though to change tyre size, as the PS4 should be a much better tyre (that's likely not available in the other size).

I never took that into consideration, my speedo reading under, that's good to know. I will replace all 4 then, thanks!

Man of Honour
So been playing with pressures over the weekend as when the car was having it's pads changed I noticed the outside edges were not seeing the road at a point where really they should. So took 8psi out of all 4 tyres to get them to the suggested running levels (36 front / 34 rear) recommended by 'men in the know' and the car is not much better. Steering feel has come back and rides better. Time will tell as off to the Ring next month so some high speed runs on d auto bahn and the Ring will see if I have em right or wrong.....or really wrong.

Back
Top Bottom