1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Discussion in 'Motors' started by rossk26, 14 Feb 2013.

1. ChrisD.

Caporegime

Bugger, I thought I posted this in the BMW thread.

2. Chris1712

Sgarrista

Is there a site that lets you search by tyre THEN size not the other way around? My new 4C has new PS4S on the rear, but the fronts are still P-Zero ARR. Looks like you can't get PS4S in the factory size (205/40/18) but I wonder how close I can get, or whether to just get normal PS4 on the front.

3. M1k3H

Wise Guy

After having placed my order with kwik fit for 2 Goodyear assymetric 5s, they phoned this morning to say they've cancelled the order due to lack of stock. :mad:

Nobody else stocks them in the size I need so was forced to go for assymetric 3s with Halfords for £20 more as well... Just my luck!

4. mjt

Capodecina

Go for Michelin PS4 or PS4S instead? Assy 3s are ancient now.

5. Acme

Caporegime

T1R's were a nice tyre on my MX5, bit playful in the wet, but fine. On the E30 though they were unpredictable and dangerous in the wet. Back swung out at low speed a few times when it really shouldn't have. It's got PremiumContact2's on it at the moment which are much better in the wet.

6. M1k3H

Wise Guy

Already placed the order. For the price the assy 3s seem to be the best in the segment. They are £150 each versus £200 for the PS4. Couldn't warrant the difference for what seems to be a similar performance tyre.

7. richyfingers

Wise Guy

Any recommendations for a MK3 Focus ST? Petrol of course...not the dirty diesel. Ran eagles on a lot of my older Honda's and found them good but thinking I should give something else a bash.

Eagle F1AS5
    Michelin PS4
    Premium Contact 6

8. Sindri

Hitman

I would go for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport. Superior to all the above in terms of outright performance.

9. kindai

Soldato

Make that the PS4S and then yes you have a winner, as above the F1SS is better in raw performance, but it is a LOUD ass tyre that doesnt absorb the road well.

The bonus comfort you get from the PS4S makes it a winner for road use for me.

10. richyfingers

Wise Guy

Cheers guys will have a think.

11. Diagro

Sgarrista

anyone used the new rainsport 5's??
    any idea how they compare vs the 3's?

12. mjt

Capodecina

Why would you even bother? Do it properly and go with Conti, Michelin or Goodyear.

13. Diagro

Sgarrista

I already have PS4's....
    I also have two Rainsport 3s on the rear.

I've found the PS4s on the front a little... Poop.

14. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

So your answer is to downgrade to an inferior tyre?

15. Diagro

Sgarrista

When did I say that?

I simply asked how the new ones compare.. I never said I'd downgrade?

Stop jumping to conclusions, it's quite frankly annoying.

16. ubersonic

Capodecina

www.camskill.co.uk

All three are good, so if priced around the same then F1AS5 > PC6 > PS4

Technically speaking the Rainsports are developed by Continental, Uniroyal was a company that Conti bought/absorbed in order to gain their IP (Uni used to be arguably the best for wet weather performance).

It's run as something of a lower tier sub brand these days however if he's specifically looking for cheaper UHP tyres instead of premium brands then it's usually a safe bet for the money. Historically speaking RS usually performed on par with a premium UHP in the wet but not as well in the dry so always decent for the money (obviously though if money isn't a factor things are different, but money is usually a factor for most people).

17. Acme

Caporegime

Fox's opinion is fact dontcha know. :p

18. kindai

Soldato

In what way?

19. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

It's a fairly obvious implication isn't it otherwise why ask?

20. ubersonic

Capodecina

I think you've jumped to the conclusion that because he's asking about RS5, and already has RS3 rear/PS4 front that he's planning to change the front tyres (I guess to get RS all round albeit mismatched generations) when maybe he's actually considering changing the rear tyres (to replace worn rears with the newer revision of what's currently on there).

I could be wrong, but as those are the two most plausible explanations I can think of.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2019