**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Man of Honour
Any recommendation for pickup tyres? 255/60 R18 112V - prefer all season/all terrain with enhanced wet grip something with a good balance between road use (about 70% of the time) and light to moderate off-road (usually nothing more than farm type track with a couple of inches of water and small potholes but can be all times of night and all and any weather).

Soldato
Any recommendation for pickup tyres? 255/60 R18 112V - prefer all season/all terrain with enhanced wet grip something with a good balance between road use (about 70% of the time) and light to moderate off-road (usually nothing more than farm type track with a couple of inches of water and small potholes but can be all times of night and all and any weather).
I had Michelin LTX on my truck, great on road, no clue about offroad though. Coped with any sandy places I took it though.

Soldato
Unless it snows then the PS4 will likely be the better performing tyre for the majority of the year.

We have the CC+ and they are a fine tyre for normal driving round, plenty of grip in dry and wet. 2-3” of fresh snow was no issue, could pretty much drive fairly normally.

Associate
Unless it snows then the PS4 will likely be the better performing tyre for the majority of the year.

We have the CC+ and they are a fine tyre for normal driving round, plenty of grip in dry and wet. 2-3” of fresh snow was no issue, could pretty much drive fairly normally.

I only need two new front tyres at the moment on my fwd car. Would it be best to change all four if I went for CC+’s ?

Soldato
If it snows and you intend to drive the car, do you want to potentially end up sliding backwards into a ditch when the front end grips and the rear doesn’t?

They are good tyres no doubt, but only worth it if you have to drive if/when it snows and you have four fitted.

For that one day, just work at home or take the day off. The roads are likely to be jammed anyway. If we have full on snowmageddon for a week then you’d need them, it depends how likely that is to happen where you live/drive.

Last edited:
Associate
If it snows and you intend to drive the car, do you want to potentially end up sliding backwards into a ditch when the front end grips and the rear doesn’t?

They are good tyres no doubt, but only worth it if you have to drive if/when it snows and you have four fitted.

For that one day, just work at home or take the day off. The roads are likely to be jammed anyway. If we have full on snowmageddon for a week then you’d need them, it depends how likely that is to happen where you live/drive.

Had the car for 2 years and now and just changing from the Dunlop sports the manufacturer put on them (Skoda). I work 1 in 4 out of hours cover so may be called out when it's snow but been ok for the past few years with the weather. Not had to give the
force majeure excuse yet.

A £400 investment in a set of all weather tyres might give me peace of mind if anything else that if I am out then at least I have a fighting chance of getting home. I carried a set of the snow socks at one point but never had to use them.

Associate
Anyone wondering about the new Yokohama AD08RS.

Don't touch them. Just got back from a track day at Oulton Park. What the hell have they done to AD08R with the new RS compound, they are absolutely terrible. Squealing and fading with the correct pressures, absolutely terrible compared to the old compound. I saw bad things but decided to give them a go, what a waste of £.

Man of Honour
Hmm this isn't good - my truck was sold to me having Pirelli Scorpions on it and somewhere between paying for it and when they had it back to replace the EGR valve someone has swapped them out for Runway Enduro HPs and not even the correct size! between being busy with moving house and then work ramping up I never noticed until now :( so gonna be hard to prove now several months on and unfortunately I only have the images from the dealer ad that show the original tyres on it.

Associate
Had the car for 2 years and now and just changing from the Dunlop sports the manufacturer put on them (Skoda). I work 1 in 4 out of hours cover so may be called out when it's snow but been ok for the past few years with the weather. Not had to give the
force majeure excuse yet.

A £400 investment in a set of all weather tyres might give me peace of mind if anything else that if I am out then at least I have a fighting chance of getting home. I carried a set of the snow socks at one point but never had to use them.

I think i'm going to go for a set of CC+ tyres but just considering keeping the old Dunlop sport rears as they have quite a bit of tread left on them. Are they worth keeping or try to sell them?

Man of Honour
You've not looked at your tyres in several months?!

I've checked pressure at least twice and eyeballed them for damage but somehow didn't notice they were different tyres - there is a superficial resemblance if you don't look closely. I was kind of aware that something wasn't right but with moving house, doing work on the new house and then work ramping up for Christmas my mind has been on other things.

EDIT: Also working nights most of the time I've looked at the wheels has been in the dark.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think i'm going to go for a set of CC+ tyres but just considering keeping the old Dunlop sport rears as they have quite a bit of tread left on them. Are they worth keeping or try to sell them?

Yeah, flog them on eBay for a few quid. I've done it with several tyres. Even if you only get £20, it's good for a few pints and saves them being wasted unnecessarily.

Soldato
It's that time again, I need a whole new set for my M135i.

225 / 40 / R18 88Y FRONT
245 / 35 / R18 XL REAR

I was originally just looking at replacing the Pilot Super Sports like for like, but not sure if it's worth seriously looking at PS4's instead? Unfortunately I can't get the PS4S in my size.

Cheapest price with fitting comes in at £511.42 from Protyre or £528.72 from ASDA Tyres with £50 of ASDA vouchers. Cashback on top also. Any better offers around?

Back
Top Bottom