**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Sho

Sho

Soldato
Im in need of new (rear) tyres. Currently looking at Michelin Primacy 4. Are these any good? Tyre size 205/55/R16/91

Costco have an offer on atm, Buy 2 get £30 OFF. Tyre prices are £60.

Soldato
Im in need of new (rear) tyres. Currently looking at Michelin Primacy 4. Are these any good? Tyre size 205/55/R16/91

Costco have an offer on atm, Buy 2 get £30 OFF. Tyre prices are £60.

They are good mid range tyres from a reputable manufacturer, I have them on my car. They aren’t your UHP tyre, so depending on what car, power etc. might make a difference.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
They are good mid range tyres from a reputable manufacturer, I have them on my car. They aren’t your UHP tyre, so depending on what car, power etc. might make a difference.
Thanks looking at Crossclimate too. I've noticed that when it comes to the load index its slightly higher 94 instead of 91.
Is that an issue?

Soldato
Thanks looking at Crossclimate too. I've noticed that when it comes to the load index its slightly higher 94 instead of 91.
Is that an issue?

I probably wouldn’t mix summer tyres and all seasons tbh, you’d be better sticking to normal summer tyres on the rears, or you’d be looking at replacing all 4 with cross climates.

as for load rating just go for whatever was in your car originally, or higher load ratings, just don’t go lower, I don’t know how true it is, but I have read that insurance might be invalidated if you are involved in a crash and they find you are running lower load ratings than was originally specified. Higher load ratings might mean firmer feeling, not sure how much you’ll notice if you end up going 94 instead of 91.

Soldato
Can't afford to do all four atm moment. And front tyres are fine. Don't think they need replacing anytime soon.

In that case, I’d say stick with the summer tyres for the rears, and maybe rotate them and try to get them to a point where next time they all need replacing if you think you need all seasons.

Man of Honour
Stuck some Bridgestones on the wife’s TT to replace some 6 year old cracking tyres. My front tyres are down to the limit on one track and the other keeps losing air, so will soon change them. Think I’ll go for some Goodyear F1s.

Caporegime
I live on the Sussex coast and vary rarely go further north than London. Don’t do motorway commuting just usual domestic use. Do I really need cross-climate tyres or do you think I can get away with summer tyres all year round?

I mean, I drive in snow with semi slicks... (can't recommend it.)

I think you'll be fine with summer tyres all year round down here, we barely ever have conditions bad enough to take advantage of all season tyres.

Unless you absolutely have to drive on the rare occasions when there is light snow on the ground, and the extra confidence on those rare days is worth the sacrifices in performance elsewhere.

Stuck some Bridgestones on the wife’s TT to replace some 6 year old cracking tyres. My front tyres are down to the limit on one track and the other keeps losing air, so will soon change them. Think I’ll go for some Goodyear F1s.

What Bridgestones out of curiosity, and how do you find them? I'm not aware of any Bridgestone tyres worth buying over things like Goodyear Assy's and Pilot Sports etc.

Soldato
Front driver side tyre is dropping from about 33PSI to around 25PSI every 10 days or so, opposite side is dropping maybe 0.5psi in the same time frame. Just keeping it topped up once a week with my cigarette lighter powered inflator.

I'm probably doing maybe 40/50 miles a week, checked the tyre all around as much as possible and no nails.

Obviously need to take it somewhere to get checked out, just wondering what typical tyre repair costs are? It's in for a service next week so will get them to look for anything obvious but they don't really deal with tyres.

Soldato
Front driver side tyre is dropping from about 33PSI to around 25PSI every 10 days or so, opposite side is dropping maybe 0.5psi in the same time frame. Just keeping it topped up once a week with my cigarette lighter powered inflator.

I'm probably doing maybe 40/50 miles a week, checked the tyre all around as much as possible and no nails.

Obviously need to take it somewhere to get checked out, just wondering what typical tyre repair costs are? It's in for a service next week so will get them to look for anything obvious but they don't really deal with tyres.

My local tyre place is roughly £15 a tyre for puncture repairs. But sound's like they might just need to clean up the rim? Have you checked the rim for cracks or anything?

Soldato
Bit of an odd one but didn't want to start a new thread. I'm driving to Germany in October for a wedding and was wondering if I'll need winter tyres or all seasons on the car? I know it's a requirement but not sure at what point the rules come into play. Does anyone know? I've been told it's from November 1st but can't find anything online to confirm it.

Soldato
My local tyre place is roughly £15 a tyre for puncture repairs. But sound's like they might just need to clean up the rim? Have you checked the rim for cracks or anything?

Rim looks solid enough, however can't really see the back side of it easily. I'll ask garage to have a good look during service. Ironically the only alloy that doesn't have any curb scuffs.

Associate
Bit of an odd one but didn't want to start a new thread. I'm driving to Germany in October for a wedding and was wondering if I'll need winter tyres or all seasons on the car? I know it's a requirement but not sure at what point the rules come into play. Does anyone know? I've been told it's from November 1st but can't find anything online to confirm it.

My understanding is for Germany there is no fixed date where you must have winter tyres equipped (regulation requires tyre with alpine symbol, as of 2018 M+S is not longer sufficient). They are only required when conditions require it. Practically, this means if driving in Germany in winter then put winters on because so you don't get caught out.

Back
Top Bottom