**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Caporegime
Does anyone know if there is a date code or such like on Pirelli tyres? I've been told mine are very old despite being in good condition, how can I check that?

Yes there is. It will likely be a 4 digit number (unless it is REALLY old), eg 4313, which would mean manufactured in the 43rd week of 2013.

Usually somewhere after the word "DOT".

The tyres on one of my cars are 13 years old... On another, 8 years old... :o

All technically need replacment because of age, but they have been stored inside for many of those years and have loads of tread left, and are in good physical shape.

Check for cracking in the bottom of the tread grooves. Thats usually the first sign of age wear on old tyres.

Soldato
Anyone used Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 5s? I currently have the 3s so these seem to be the logical choice, especially as I have 19s and Goodyear are doing £100 vouchers for 4 tyres. Should I be looking at any other models?

Soldato
Yes there is. It will likely be a 4 digit number (unless it is REALLY old), eg 4313, which would mean manufactured in the 43rd week of 2013.

Usually somewhere after the word "DOT".

The tyres on one of my cars are 13 years old... On another, 8 years old... :o

All technically need replacment because of age, but they have been stored inside for many of those years and have loads of tread left, and are in good physical shape.

Check for cracking in the bottom of the tread grooves. Thats usually the first sign of age wear on old tyres.
Thanks for that. Just found it, they're 2007 which is what I suspected as that is the age of the car! Treated myself to 4 new Michelin Sport 4 tyres seeing as they were on offer at ATS.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Anyone used Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 5s? I currently have the 3s so these seem to be the logical choice, especially as I have 19s and Goodyear are doing £100 vouchers for 4 tyres. Should I be looking at any other models?
I put a set on my parents’ Mk6 GTI to replace some ageing Dunglop (see what I did there?) Sport Maxxxxxx and the difference is astounding. Extremely impressed.

Soldato

As said above. Very impressed.

I put a set on my Focus when they first came out. Before any reviews or anything were around. And was impressed from the start. Not exactly a sporty drive my Focus diesel, but none the less, they performed very well.

Put about 16k on them, and still 4.5mm - 5mm left on them. So swapped them into my Clio when I put 18's on the Focus, with another brand new set of Assy5's. So good enough for me to buy twice.

For reference, my favourite tyre before these were my PS4's. And i value wear rate just as much as performance in other areas. And the Assy5's are every bit as good as the PS4's in my experience.

So I would just buy whats cheaper between PS4 and Assy5.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Aye, someone said earlier in the thread, Goodyear have very much sorted their wear rate out. Matching the PSS/PS4 for longevity is no mean feat.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I don’t think you’re going to get more than 50k out of the new Bridgestone’s on the rear !
Made it almost a year... but don't think I've done more than 20k, probably around 15k. Edit: checked my mot history, barely hit 10k :(

Got another 5k left I reckon, man I love this weather :D

0OnC5vfl.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nah man, they're barely worn in. Just how I like 'em :)
Lets hope you don’t get stopped by the police then. Those are dangerous.

Have you met NVP before?

I've also been pulled more times than I can count and had multiple tickets and court appearances - so with that knowledge your logic doesn't work I'm afraid as I'm a fringe case. I think it would be a significant enough impact on someone like yourself, as you've also stated.

Caporegime
Made it almost a year... but don't think I've done more than 20k, probably around 15k. Edit: checked my mot history, barely hit 10k :(

Got another 5k left I reckon, man I love this weather :D

0OnC5vfl.jpg

This is a joke right? You aren't actually running bald tyres on the back of the car you carry your family around in are you? :eek:

Also, are your tyres overinflated? I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be completely bald in the middle with 1mm+ remaining on the outer-most grooves?

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
My family don't go in my car really, the wife has the run around with the kiddie seats in, they're in mine maybe 2 trips a year. Unfortunately this time you're right, irresponsibly I didn't check before, even though I did up the pressures for the luggage and I guess it went dark after I'd put the roof box on so didn't notice, and only clocked them when we were at the beach. After thought - nice hot weather, run-flats fitted - no risk driving back in my eyes.

In terms of over-inflation, I found that bar to bring back some of the BMW slip to the 4 Wheel Steering giving me a more familiar driving feel :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like they’re the ones to go for with the current voucher offer. Booked in for fitting on Thursday. Thanks a lot guys.
Well, the garage managed to snap my locking wheel nut key... meaning they couldn’t fit the tyres. Guess I’ll be giving BMW a call to see if I can get another!

Soldato
Grabbed an epic local bargain yesterday for £100, which will go on the 944 (running 17" Boxster wheels).

A full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (N3)
- Rear 255/40/17 (7mm)
- Front 205/50/17 (7.6mm and look new)

Mid-2014 date code and taken off his 993 as he's putting on new tyres once the suspension refresh is complete. A perfect bargain to replace the worn 3mm 2012 Rainsport 2 tyres.

Back
Top Bottom