**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Caporegime
225/45/17

Before I collected my car it had a pair of Pirelli P7's put on the front and now the rears need doing so the OCD in me wants to have 4 corners matching.

But after 8 weeks I'm not particularly impressed with them so I'm tempted to stick a pair of Goodyear Eagle F1 - ASY 5 on the front and move Pirelli's to the rear or would there not be much in it?

Will be able to get the Pirelli at "Cost" which is £50 each and the dealer footing the bill for one of them.

Most Pirellis perform like middle-of-the-road tyres and carry a premium price tag. The special ones tailored for high performance cars are the exception based on what I've read.

I had the Pirelli PZero Nero on one of my cars and they were straight garbáge. Replaced them with the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 and I was no longer understeering all over the place. :p

I'm not sure how the Cinturato P7 compares to the PZero Nero but reviews suggest "broadly similar" so I'd suggest the Goodyears will be much better.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that if you go that route, you should put the new tyres on the rear. But since the Pirellis are almost new anyway from what you've said, I'd probably do the same as you and have the grippier tyres on the front.

Do you have to get the P7 for the dealer to pay for one of them? If so I'd probably do that, can't argue with £25 a corner really... Unless you are concerned you will be finding their limitations all the time based on your expeirence. If you can get them to fit the Asy 5's for a negligible amount more, I would definitely do that instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
Most Pirellis perform like middle-of-the-road tyres and carry a premium price tag. The special ones tailored for high performance cars are the exception based on what I've read.

I had the Pirelli PZero Nero on one of my cars and they were straight garbáge. Replaced them with the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 and I was no longer understeering all over the place. :p

I'm not sure how the Cinturato P7 compares to the PZero Nero but reviews suggest "broadly similar" so I'd suggest the Goodyears will be much better.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that if you go that route, you should put the new tyres on the rear. But since the Pirellis are almost new anyway from what you've said, I'd probably do the same as you and have the grippier tyres on the front.

Do you have to get the P7 for the dealer to pay for one of them? If so I'd probably do that, can't argue with £25 a corner really... Unless you are concerned you will be finding their limitations all the time based on your expeirence. If you can get them to fit the Asy 5's for a negligible amount more, I would definitely do that instead.
Very pleased with P Zeros (275 35 R20) compared to Hankook Ventus's i had on before.... definitely more grip and a bit quieter, just hope they last as long?

Caporegime
Very pleased with P Zeros (275 35 R20) compared to Hankook Ventus's i had on before.... definitely more grip and a bit quieter, just hope they last as long?

Your use case is probably fairly different to mine given the tyre size you mention. When I found them sub-optimal I had them in 215 40 17 on a FWD hot hatch with coilovers, and a lot of my driving was 'playing', pushing the limits on well-sighted backroads.

I can't comment on their wear because I took them off after a couple of thousand miles and sold them part-worn, then put the Pilot Sports on.

Soldato
What do people reckon to Pirelli P7 Cinturato's?
Great dry grip but very high wear rates some only get about 13K before they start to wear down a lot. I would look at something a bit more expensive. P-zeros are also great for grip but again wear rates are very high so they will not last as long!

Try looking at the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5. Just had 4 of these fitted earlier today they are a premium summer tyre but wear rates are good as is grip and very new tyre so based on newer tech (Pzero's are quite old now).

Caporegime
Great dry grip but very high wear rates some only get about 13K before they start to wear down a lot. I would look at something a bit more expensive. P-zeros are also great for grip but again wear rates are very high so they will not last as long!

Try looking at the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5. Just had 4 of these fitted earlier today they are a premium summer tyre but wear rates are good as is grip and very new tyre so based on newer tech (Pzero's are quite old now).

Out of curiosity what are you basing the PZero's "great grip" on and are you talking about the Nero or another model?

Only asking because I found the Nero to be fairly poor in comparison with various other tyres when pressing on a bit.

The Michelin Energy Saver Plus I had before them I found to be better, despite being "eco" tyres, and the Pilot Sport 3 I replaced them with were night and day better.

Last edited:

maj

maj

Soldato
I know it's recommended to have matching tyres on an axle but what about running matching run flats on one axle and matching non-run flats on the other?

Caporegime
I know it's recommended to have matching tyres on an axle but what about running matching run flats on one axle and matching non-run flats on the other?

I looked into this for someone once and it was fairly 50:50... In theory it shouldn't be much different to having two different types of normal tyre, one with a fairly stiff side-wall like a Pilot Sport, and one with a soft side-wall like an EfficientGrip.

But I did read that an insurance company might not like it.

Soldato
Out of curiosity what are you basing the PZero's "great grip" on and are you talking about the Nero or another model?

Only asking because I found the Nero to be fairly poor in comparison with various other tyres when pressing on a bit.

The Michelin Energy Saver Plus I had before them I found to be better, despite being "eco" tyres, and the Pilot Sport 3 I replaced them with were night and day better.
Pirelli P Zero PZ4 - Fantastic grip, not great in the wet at all & wear rate is pretty high if you get more than 13K out of them would be a good result! Like most tyres they compromise so high dry grip usually means less wet grip & higher tyre wear. I think the pzero range is based on very dated technology & R&D designed really for high performance road cars (Lambos, Ferraris, Porches etc) where money is no object & you need to buy on average 2 new sets in the same timeframe as another better overall set might last :eek:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Just had a pair of tyres delivered from blackcircles as they had £15 off. Bought PS4S but the tyres that arrived just now are the non s. This is massively annoying.

Caporegime
Pirelli P Zero PZ4 - Fantastic grip, not great in the wet at all & wear rate is pretty high if you get more than 13K out of them would be a good result! Like most tyres they compromise so high dry grip usually means less wet grip & higher tyre wear. I think the pzero range is based on very dated technology & R&D designed really for high performance road cars (Lambos, Ferraris, Porches etc) where money is no object & you need to buy on average 2 new sets in the same timeframe as another better overall set might last :eek:

Ah I cant say anything then, I have no experience with that tyre specifically! For performance and longevity I think it's hard to beat a Pilot Sport or an Eagle F1 Asy, they make up for the increased cost in longevity.

Soldato
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 - what a fantastic tyre! :D Just did 6 hours driving in the horrendous rain mainly (until I cleared it then bright sunshine at the coast earlier this afternoon!!) these tyres have supreme grip, cornering even in heavy rain is fantastic and in the dry they give you so much grip, positive feedback & confidence :D

NVP

NVP

Soldato
An officer from Lancashire Road Police tweeted: "Car had aquaplaned, struck the barrier in the central reservation then onto the nearside grass verge where it overturned. Thankfully no injuries. Reason for loss of control was soon obvious - lack of tread on rear offside tyre."
Article

pwOIUxH.jpg

tx2nsww.jpg

Hmmm... I'd hazard a guess it was more than simply a wheel slipping which caused the accident.

Drive to the conditions people.

Soldato
Just about to get 4 of these fitted: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 hope they are good!

I have these on my car.

Found they have excellent grip and they wear better than the Michelin or Conti's I've also had.

Will be sticking with Goodyear

Man of Honour
Article

pwOIUxH.jpg

tx2nsww.jpg

Hmmm... I'd hazard a guess it was more than simply a wheel slipping which caused the accident.

Drive to the conditions people.

Last couple of days my Turanza t005 have been paying for themselves yet again! the level of grip they give in the wet reinforces for me how much of a turnip someone would have to be to drive without sufficient tread no matter the conditions.

Soldato
I'm having a quandary choosing tyes for our 2006 ML500 (W164).

It currently has Toyo T1 Sport on there (255 50 19), with the rears down to 3mm and a 2016 date, so they're needing changing. But the matching fronts are 6+mm and 2018 dated so perfectly fine.

Tempted to just stick a new pair of Toyos on the rear as they're the cheapest 'known' brand and make use of the usable fronts.

But then I'd love to just stick some PS4 on all 4, or even consider a 'summer' biased all season.

Journeys are generally fairly local, but we'll be increasingly using the car for more 1000 mile round trips down to England (Covid dependent) so I'm think getting the best is going to pay off in terms of then best braking, handling and improving the 23MPG economy on the Motorway.

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom