**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
I'm having a quandary choosing tyes for our 2006 ML500 (W164).

It currently has Toyo T1 Sport on there (255 50 19), with the rears down to 3mm and a 2016 date, so they're needing changing. But the matching fronts are 6+mm and 2018 dated so perfectly fine.

Tempted to just stick a new pair of Toyos on the rear as they're the cheapest 'known' brand and make use of the usable fronts.

But then I'd love to just stick some PS4 on all 4, or even consider a 'summer' biased all season.

Journeys are generally fairly local, but we'll be increasingly using the car for more 1000 mile round trips down to England (Covid dependent) so I'm think getting the best is going to pay off in terms of then best braking, handling and improving the 23MPG economy on the Motorway.

Thoughts?

I've had Toyo's on some of my cars and was never impressed.

PS4 SUV have £50 off a set of 4 at Camskill just now, making them £133.20 each. Seems like a decent price. I'd just go for them personally in that size.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Last couple of days my Turanza t005 have been paying for themselves yet again! the level of grip they give in the wet reinforces for me how much of a turnip someone would have to be to drive without sufficient tread no matter the conditions.
I don't find the T005 to have much real grip in wet conditions, however I did go down from Eagle f1s so perhaps perspective is skewed.

Soldato
I have these on my car.

Found they have excellent grip and they wear better than the Michelin or Conti's I've also had.

Will be sticking with Goodyear
Yep I fully agree they are great tyres its going to have to be an amazing tyre to make me swap these for another type!

Man of Honour
I don't find the T005 to have much real grip in wet conditions, however I did go down from Eagle f1s so perhaps perspective is skewed.

I find they work well on my truck - driving appropriately in wet conditions they haven't let go yet and feel much better than anything I've used before while in the same conditions I see other people struggling whether driving appropriately or not. Where I'm less impressed with them in actual dry conditions where it is dusty dry I find them vague and a bit heavy feeling.

Soldato
I've had Toyo's on some of my cars and was never impressed.

PS4 SUV have £50 off a set of 4 at Camskill just now, making them £133.20 each. Seems like a decent price. I'd just go for them personally in that size.

Good find, thanks. Annoying it isn't the £100 I saw last month at Costco.

I'll have a browse around and see what I find.

I'm abroad with work but the Mrs is booked in at Costco to fit some Goodyear Vector 4 Season G3 to the Berlingo skip. Rude not to at £50 each fitted for the R14 steel rims and looking forward to the improved drive compared to the worn Hifly tyres on there now :D

Soldato
Good find, thanks. Annoying it isn't the £100 I saw last month at Costco.

I'll have a browse around and see what I find.

I'm abroad with work but the Mrs is booked in at Costco to fit some Goodyear Vector 4 Season G3 to the Berlingo skip. Rude not to at £50 each fitted for the R14 steel rims and looking forward to the improved drive compared to the worn Hifly tyres on there now :D

Yes. There were some cracking prices last month at Costco. I picked up a set of 4 PS4S's in 20" guise for my Caravelle for under £430 fitted. Amazing price. Basically half the price of anywhere else. Then there was a week or so where they had money off every brand, rather than the Goodyear one month, Michelin the next, etc...

Soldato

They look like really good tyres those Vector 4 Seasons Gen 3's.

Soldato
need 2 tyres on the rear of my bmw 118d. originally looked at Michelin alpine 6 but then saw some deals with the cross climate plus but reviews say wet breaking isn't the best on them so now im back to square one

Man of Honour
need 2 tyres on the rear of my bmw 118d. originally looked at Michelin alpine 6 but then saw some deals with the cross climate plus but reviews say wet breaking isn't the best on them so now im back to square one

What is on the front?

Don't mix tyre types.

Soldato
What is on the front?

Don't mix tyre types.
This x 100000!! When I bought my car recently it had mixed tyre types which I just accepted I would change ASAP. Glad I did as the mixed tyres (only 1 was different) were very dangerous in cornering especially :eek: it would not hold the road I had to keep fighting the steering & in the wet it felt even worse. Around town it was ok but as soon as you get out onto A roads & M ways its a very dangerous combination so make sure you always have the same matched tyres for the ultimate safety factor.

Soon as I got the 4 new matched tyres it felt like a different car & road handling was a delight, tyre noise was a lot lower & it felt safe to drive!

Soldato
Yep I fully agree they are great tyres its going to have to be an amazing tyre to make me swap these for another type!

Having checked the rears on the car and seeing I can get 2 fitted for £160 just ordered some for fitting Thursday.

Considering these are premium tyres I have no idea why anyone would pick the £65 budget options when premium can be had for very little more.

Soldato
Having checked the rears on the car and seeing I can get 2 fitted for £160 just ordered some for fitting Thursday.

Considering these are premium tyres I have no idea why anyone would pick the £65 budget options when premium can be had for very little more.
Enjoy they are GREAT tyres :D

Caporegime
Bridgestone all round but had to buy 2 front ones at the start of the year because of uneven wear. Going to buy 4 continental all season contacts. Appear to get the best write up.

I assume by type of tyre he means winter/summer as you shouldn't have two of each on a car.

Mixing brand/model is usually fine as long as they are in pairs* and are all summer or all winter. Unless it is AWD in which case you aren't meant to mix brand/model either.

Generally the weather in the UK isn't bad enough to warrant having winter tyres, but depending on where you live in Scotland, that might be different for you! :D

*Assuming they are similarly capable tyres. Don't go putting a pair of Pilot Sport 4S' on the front and a pair of LingLong GreenMax's on the back unless its a drift car. :p

Last edited:
Associate
Got a full set of Avon ZV7 from National. Paid for the insurance on the tyre as the other half always manages to damage them :confused: yep after a weeks fitted. Didn't realise you could do that. Only £70 per corner fitted so wasn't sure it was worth paying for.

Screenshot-20201010-135208.png

Back
Top Bottom